a call for opinions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a call for opinions!

hello everyone; i am in need of your opinions considering modding my car.

originally i wanted a v8 fbody. after finding nothing that hadnt had the dog balls ran off of it by some 16 year old, with 200,000 miles, faded clearcoat, and priced REASONABLY, i found a very sharp looking 94 firebird at a great price.

recently, i considered selling the v6 (even though i havent had it very long) to look for a v8 (yes, the easy way out).

until i found the numbers that people were putting out with turbo kits, and thought about how funny it would be to put a stock mustang to shame with a v6 (the supposed ''laughing stock'' of GM's v6's at that!).

which brings me to a dilemma. im not a mechanic.

i guess i would say i know more about cars than the average person, but i lack welding skills, ive never pulled an engine from a car, my skill level is sort of limited to "spark plugs and oil changes". though i would like to try and get my hands dirty and learn more.

which brings me to my question, considering you know my situation.

what are some feasible options for modding my car? should i pay a shop to fabricate a turbo? should i try the 3400 swap? am i in too far over my head? should i just take the easy way out and buy a v8? even if i do ill try to mod anything i get!

i appreciate any input! :)

Re: a call for opinions!

if i had the time/money i'd definitely look into the 3400 swap. If you did it all and got them P&P'd along the way you'd be lookin at mega gains, then you could add bolt ons for even more performance, headers, catback, pullies ect.

Comment

wait... your swappping a 3.8 for a 3.4...? why?

Comment

would this overwhelm a non-mechanic like me though? im sure making friends with a good shop would make things easier for me, and a buddy i work with knows alot about GM cars, and even offered to help me put a transmission in my old tbird (yes, all i drive is birds it seems)

ive done a few hours of research on the 3400 swap, and it seems like a pretty good mod. i just get lost in posts sometimes. how much do you think it would cost altogether for the swap with P&P heads and intake? and what are the estimated gains?

Comment

Originally posted by t-topV6
          i have a 3.4, considering doing the 3400 swap

Comment

Originally posted by mellowout
            would this overwhelm a non-mechanic like me though? im sure making friends with a good shop would make things easier for me, and a buddy i work with knows alot about GM cars, and even offered to help me put a transmission in my old tbird (yes, all i drive is birds it seems)

ive done a few hours of research on the 3400 swap, and it seems like a pretty good mod. i just get lost in posts sometimes. how much do you think it would cost altogether for the swap with P&P heads and intake? and what are the estimated gains?

if you really want to get involved with the 3400 swapt talk to ForcedFirebird, he is your man, i dont want to speak for him but i'm pretty sure he could get you most of the whole project, at least he could probably get your an upper and lower intake plus p&p the heads for ya. Then you'd just have to get some random goodies.

In regards to taking our 3.4 apart its not as difficult as you might think.
            I had the exact same experience as you until i decided to take my engine apart. I stopped just short of taking off the heads, something you would need to do. Up until that point i can't say it was overwhelmingly hard, just basic hand tools and patience is all u need. If you want to see a noobs version of how to take apart the 3.4 take a look at my thread RockerQ's in the advanced section, it more or less asks every god known question when it comes to taking our 3.4 apart. Then once you have it all out you can put it all back together with 3400 parts, they just bolt up. Of course its not as easy as i make it seem but generally it is. Remember, ForcedFirebird is your man if your serious about the 3400 swap. If you do it all yourself it would be way cheaper than a turbo, plus u could always put the turbo on later for super mega power gains. :tup:

i hope this helps.

max

Comment

Originally posted by t-topV6

come on Mark!! 93 - 95 was the 3.4

unless of course it's a freak cali 3.8 but thats only 95 so its def a 3.4

:wavey:

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident
                come on Mark!! 93 - 95 was the 3.4

unless of course it's a freak cali 3.8 but thats only 95 so its def a 3.4

:wavey:
                :slap: doh... i didn't see him say anything about a year...

Comment

i would just either pay for a shop to put in a new ls1 (12k$?) or buy a ls1 camaro (5-18k)...

if youve never done anything mechanical before it can take alot longer and cost alot more than expected.

Comment

well im looking to learn some hopefully, and not just throw money at my car :)

Comment

Do a 3800 swap. Or freshen up the 3.4. A 3400 swap will net you TEN horsepower (160 vs 170). Either engine you choose have their share of aftermarket. After you decide which one you want to go with, then its time for bolt ons. They are cheap and simple. Do some research. FullthrottleV6.com has a weath of knowledge to be had on there. For 60 degree v6s (2.8, 3.1, 3.4) and 90 degree v6s (3800).

Sedain - LS1's do NOT cost 12k (MAYBE 5k MAYBE). LS7 is around that - and would cost much more because of the engine, trans, ECU, and the rest of the drivetrain required to make that work. Either way 12k would net him near 10 second 1/4 mile times with the 3.4 he has now, if he had that kind of money money.

You'll find there is a lot of support for your 3.4 if you do the research. Before you do mods, do a search and see if there is anything that may get in the way or any tricks some veterans can share with you to make it easier. If you can't find anything - feel free to start a thread and ask for help... thats why were all here!

And you can always brag that you spanked X car with a v6 Firebird :) Good luck!
                      Last edited by greasemonkey; 01-21-2008, 03:49 PM.

Comment

yeah, greasemonkey said it very well. Stick with the 6, theres more room in the engine bay heh. I've been visiting this site for eh, half a year? and its taught me so much. I started out knowing damn near nothing and now here I am waiting for the rest of my turbo setup to arrive that I'll be installing and tuning myself. I still feel like I don't know jack but if I run into a problem almost everyone on this site is willing to help and back you up. Heh you just gotta learn who to listen to and who to take advice from loosely. You're in good hands here with a 6, don't worry.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

i thought the swap gave around 30 ish flywheel horsepower? which would mean 190 flywheel, but around 170 RWHP.

i had read a post about someone wanting to swap in a 3.8, but people didnt seem to like the idea much. they said it would be the same amount of work as swapping in a LT1 and about as expensive

Comment

well im looking to learn some hopefully, and not just throw money at my car :)
                            If you have the tools, time, and desire to learn there are a lot of people on this site that can help you. Take your time doing your research and listen to what people have to say. You can get some power out of the 3.4, but it is not as simple as "bolt XYZ part on". It takes effort and money. In the end, you'll have learned an a$$load and have a car to be proud of.

There are a few "easy" mods to get you started. Then as your skill level grows, you can dig a little deeper.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

i thought the swap gave around 30 ish flywheel horsepower? which would mean 190 flywheel, but around 170 RWHP.

i had read a post about someone wanting to swap in a 3.8, but people didnt seem to like the idea much. they said it would be the same amount of work as swapping in a LT1 and about as expensive

what you say is true. The 3400 swap nets mega gains. If you P&P'd everthing along the way i have no doubt you'd easily be pushin 200rwhp.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X