Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new comer looking for some advice

hi everybody,

im from pa, currently have 77 firebird formula w72 auto(the 400 is sitting on a stand, has a 455 in it right now) and a 84 chevy scottsdale, 4x4, 350, longbed fleetside fully loaded, im currently attending college thou and need something a bit better on gas, im looking at 93-97 v6 firebirds. ive grown up on cars all my life, but never played with fuel injected anything except a 2.8, Or anything made within the last 20 years. so im hoping u guys can answer some of my questions.

Are the 3.4l and the 3.8l good motors, should i seek out one over the other or avoid one. ive been told to look for a 3.8 if i can but why.

Are there any common problems with the cars or motors i should watch for.

Do they average what they say they do, ive heard that on highway the 3.4 can get hit 29 to 30 and the 3.8 can hit 28-29, i drive 45min each way on highway everyday so highway is what i care about.

anything you guys can tell me would be great, ill be honest when it comes to 4th gens i never paid any attention to the cars(most of them could never keep up long enough to merrit attention:D)

o and whats the appearance difference between a base bird and the formula, i keep looking but cant see a thing on the outside other than badges.

thanks for your help

Re: new comer looking for some advice

go for the 3.8l engine. Has tuning options whereas the 3.4 only has stand alone. Has more aftermarket for the 3.8 than the 3.4.

Yes they do average the mpg they are said too as long as the engine and car has had routine maintenance and is in good shape
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

3.8 good reliable engine.
      Welcome:wavey:

-Y87
      Lid,K&N Filter,PaceSetter Headers,Magnaflow Cat 2.5in S-pipe,Flomaster :(,3.42 LSD

Comment

i dont care about performance to be honest, with the exception of maybe a nicer sounding exhaust and maybe different wheels i have no plan to modify whatever i get, the 77 runs high 12's with nothing but pure motor and some nice gearing so i dont realy need any more performance. So im honestly looking for a pure daily driver, i just cant force myself to get a cavy or sunfire and would rather walk than drive a ricer.

I've heard alot of guys tell me to go for the 3.8 but no one has realy told be why not to get the 3.4 other than the previous mention of not many performance mods and something about its next to impossible to find a 3.4 car with a stock posi, while the 3800 package cars all had them? is this true?

Comment

Re: Short Story

I just purchased a 1997 3.8... 5 speed red/black T-Tops with 115K miles. Cheapest car I could find and still presentable when I was looking for used driver. I am a Mustang guy for past 5years, but I could not pass up the good deal on this car from local owner.

I love this car, It gets 27-29 MPG in my day to day driving. I drive 100-150 miles a day, the hatch back is great for hauling work related stuff. my only issue with the car was how low seat sat..easy remedy, went down to Auto zone and purchase a old style seat cushsion, folded it together and laid it in the seat. so now I am 2" higher in seat. I can see out of the car alot better, plus it is easier to get out. DO NOT BUY ONE UNLESS IT IS A 5 SPEED! it will not be fun to drive, take it from a Cobra owner. I am a Ford guy, but this car is fun to drive

Comment

Not all 3.8's had posi. very few did. From what ive seen, the 3.8's get better gas mileage. the 3.4's are pretty underpowered... theyre dogs.

i get 30+mpg on the highway, and thats with a full exhaust and intake, some wider tires, and a lot of stuff in my car.

a formula is a v8. its the same body as the v6, but with the v8 drivetrain.

btw, where in pa are you from? im from northeast of philly.
            2002 SOM Camaro- Sold
            2006 S60- Sold
            2000 Cherokee- The desert whip

Comment

Im from mifflinburg, little nowhere cow town but i love it, probably about 45-60 minutes from state college(southish from) been awhile since ive been to philly but im thinking around hour and half there if i go the speed limit.

Im actually looking for a auto thou, i go to school and work construction, after a 10-12 hour day of swinging a hammer i rarley have it in me to shift for the next 45min(i broke my wrist two years ago at the drag strip, so at the end of the say its sore) my formula is a old 4 speed rock crusher so i have it for the fun of shifting, plus my fiancee drives my vehicles on occasion and she's not great at driving stick. ive been trying to teach her but we only have two stick vehicles avaliable, my 455 bird and her fathers 70 chevelle ss 454(non numbers matching) easing off the clutch is a art in itself:bowdown: when i finished the formula it actually took me almost 2 months to get to the point i could start out without leaving tire marks in the garage.

SO another question did the 3.8 start in 96 or was it 97? im looking more in the 95-97, im looking for a auto car with t-tops, power windows/locks and a/c, leather or vinyl inteior, and preferbly red, black, yellow, blue or silver, no white we have way to many dirt roads for white, and realy silver but i like silver so ill wash it often. Or if i happen upon the right formula i may just take it :) any other things you guys would suggest looking for in these cars, i dont care about cruise control i wont use it.

Comment

leather isn't generally very common in the v6 models but it can be found. The 3.8 was a california plant option in the later part of 95, so there were a limited amount of 3.8Ls in 95 (500 or so), but they do exist.

In 96, the 3.8 was standard so anything 96 and newer will have that 3.8L. The 3.4L isn't the best engine out there, but it's nothing to be scared of. It generally doesn't seem to get quite the same gas mileage, but there are plenty of 3.4Ls with over 200K miles.
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

any idea of the mileage expectency of a well taken care of 3.8? alot of the onces im finding are in the 90-130 range.

its odd that the leather wasnt common, ive seen it in probably about half of the cars i've looked at so far, they were mostly fully loaded cars, but even a few that werent had them.

Comment

well im going to stick up for my 3.4 it runs well gets me 2 where im going easy on the gas.no real perf but a good car to get where you want to go and still get some looks

Comment

my little 3.8 is running very strong with 336 rwhp ;). where in pa are you?
                      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

i live in mifflinburg, but going to school in williamsport unfortunally:rant:

have to ask is that 336 with the juice? not bad at all for a v6, ive never dynoed the formula, but based on what she ran guys have told me she should be pushing right around 400hp, id like to take it to a dyno but not sure it'll be accurate as it sports funcational scoops thats i have setup to open at 3/4 throttle, idk how much they add but i do know i can feel when they open. at the last strip she ran a 12.5, hopping to get her to a solid 12 flat before i stop the mods, as im running out of things to do that leave her looking stock.

Comment

the 3.8 is a beast of an engine. If it's well taken care of (like anything) It will last quite a while. There are plenty of guys with over 200k on their 3800IIs as well, and they perform decently at the same time.
                          sigpic
                          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                          1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

im going to stick up for my 3.4 i love it! and we have a 3.8 camaro with a posi rear end factory and it has a lot more get up and go in the lower end the both have a little over 100000 and running strong! 3.4 i have seen b4 blow intake gaskets (like mine) or spin main bearings i have seen b4 so if there well taken care of no big deal don't be afraid of them

Comment

I got 35mpg in my 94 w/132k+ miles on it from Dayon to Fredericksburg. I get considerably less w/the t-tops off (go figure).

I also had a 77 T/A W72, 400 4 sp posi rear. I want another one. I got 22mpg once, just once on a trip to ocean city w/the shaker removed. I also miss seeing the gas gage move when stomped.
                              1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                              2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                              94 comero 3.4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X