v8 vs. v6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v8 vs. v6

I have recently saw a couple stock camaro ss's, and a couple stock trans ams (4th gens) on the dyno and dyno numbers were all in 300 rwhp.

I remember someone telling me in one of my other posts that the v8 f-bodys 300 plus horsepower was measured at the flywheel. and "they make around 260 somthing at the flywheel" well how can this be true if i saw them stock on the dyno all at 300 plus rwhp?

and if the v8s are 300 plus rwhp and our cars are 160 stock.. thats pretty bad for us and our v6's. :( anyone correct me if im not getting somthing here ty.

Re: v8 vs. v6

sorry meant "they make around 260 rwhp" in that quote.

Comment

the v8's make around 320-350hp at the flywheel

factor in drivetrain loss, will give you around 300hp at the wheels

GM underrated the z28, and the ss horsepower ratings so they wouldnt look as good compared to the vette

but the 2000 (or 2001)+ fbodies will make a bit more power due to the different camshaft profile and also the ls6 parts

Comment

Originally posted by ava1219 View Post
        and if the v8s are 300 plus rwhp and our cars are 160 stock.. thats pretty bad for us and our v6's. :( anyone correct me if im not getting somthing here ty.
        This is reason 1 why I traded my Camaro in and went with something more powerful. I didn't want the hassle of swapping engines. Besides, I had saved up 26k and it was burning a hole in my pocket. :naughty:

It was hard letting my camaro go! I've seen it recently parked near a mall and the new owner is really treating it like crap! It has a large dent on the driver's fender, the inspection is fake and the interior has ALOT of junk auto parts in it. He smokes in it too and the seats have major burns on them. If that car could only talk... :rant:
        sigpic

Comment

I think the highest HP Chevy ever rated the car was 320 in the SS. If you use even a 15% drivetrain loss (considering the alum. d/s) that would still only be around 270 at the wheels. That means the cars you saw had to have been making around 350 at the flywheel.

There are a few things you have to keep in mind when discussing HP numbers though: first, the manufacturers don't always give the true HP/Tq numbers, for various reasons. They may be over or understated depending on their motives.

Second, even if the HP numbers were accurate for the particular engine they tested, that doesn't mean every engine that rolled off the assembly line is going to have that exact HP. For the same reason they say "never buy a car built on a Friday", there are going to be differences from engine to engine that will affect HP. Will it amount to a 30 HP difference? Probably not, but 10 or more HP between engines wouldn't surprise me at all.

Third, you have to keep in mind not all dynos are the same. Besides the differences between a chassis dyno and an engine dyno, there are even going to be noticeable differences between different chassis dynos. Again, will it account for 30 HP? I doubt it, but maybe when you add up all the factors, and they are all going the same way, you could come up with 30 HP.

FWIW, my 3.8, which is factory rated at 200/225 made 164/193 at the wheels (stock) on a Dynojet dyno. That was at around 70k miles on the engine too. Using 18% for drivetrain loss that translates to 200/235 at the flywheel. Close, but not exactly what Chevy said. And, I would expect a car with 70k miles to be making a little less than one with 10k.

Comment

thanks guys :)

Comment

FWIW I know for a fact that bone stock LS1s should be at least 300rwhp with an auto and 320-330rwhp with the M6. Mine bone stock made 334rwhp and with boltons made 355rwhp.

I have personally seen LS1s on the dyno(engine dyno...not chassis dyno) and they were closer to 400 at the crank.

EDIT: BTW the LS1s can get pretty nasty with just a cam swap. I put down 420rwhp cam only with boltons, no head work. and my buddy was putting down alittlw over 500rwhp with the stock shortblock and a cam/heads. That was a solid roller setup but still nuts for N/A and stock cubes.
              Last edited by Chris Stone; 12-17-2008, 01:10 PM.
              99 Z28 M6...91 Z28 A4...84 Z28 A4

Comment

ls1's are sick

Comment

remember fourth gen v8s with the lt1 when stock do not dyno over 300...just the ls1 equipped 98+ cars do.
                  http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
                    remember fourth gen v8s with the lt1 when stock do not dyno over 300...just the ls1 equipped 98+ cars do.
                    93-95 LT1's were rated at 275 and the 96-97 LT1's were rated at 285. When they introduced the LS1 to the Camaro in 1998 they got an estimated 305 and then it got bumped up every couple of years.

Comment

I'm partial to gen 1 SBCs i love carbs

Comment

Originally posted by nightrider2 View Post
                        I'm partial to fuel injection, haha. Carbs can be ****ty sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by nightrider2 View Post
                          same here, i love em'

Originally posted by 00FlowCamaro View Post
                          I'm partial to fuel injection, haha. Carbs can be ****ty sometimes.
                          FI is more reliable, but nothing beats a carb

if you know how to tune them (which is really easy) then there should be no problems.

nothin beats a holley IMO

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                            same here, i love em'

FI is more reliable, but nothing beats a carb

if you know how to tune them (which is really easy) then there should be no problems.

nothin beats a holley IMO
                            Holley FTW nothing like tossing a cam in a 350 and twisting 2 screws to adjust your fuel...BRILLIANT

Comment

just mod the 6er..... i kill them
                              WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X