Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Serious Revamping

Originally posted by Loochy88
    As for the lounge, i could take it or leave it. I do think it attracts a lot of members, and keeps them current... even if adds a little activity we may not particularly need on the forums.

Personally, I'd like to see some of the non-forum features brought back. The featured v6 hasnt been updated for a year. There are probably plenty people who wouldnt mind being put in charge of this. I would actually enjoy reviewing submissions/pics and choosing a winner.

A lot of stuff in the modifications encyclopedia could be updated as well...

The media section on the main page clearly never took off, but i think a media forum could have always been an awesome idea, especially now with all the online video hosting available these days.
    ......x2 Well put. I think a few things like the featured v6 need to be updated so that its more than just a message board. As soon as I log in, I click on message board and totally forget about tech database and such. maybe that would help out with the newbs. If they look around on the site a little more then they may come across information easier. A gallery would be nice as well IMO
    Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Originally posted by Fireball27

Yes, but onto matters at hand. I for one have only ever used the tech database like once or twice.. most of the time i can find exactly what i want just by searching/reading stickies. Take that information for what its worth (not much), thats all i really have to say about it (other than please don't take the lounge away... if you do i'll have nowhere else to live :( )
      If the stickies are where we are going to store all our basic info, why even have a tech database? IMO, either put all the stickes in the tech database, or all the tech database in the stickies. Having some info in one place, and other info in another just creates redundancy and confusion when searching for answers.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
      Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

The problem with searching/stickies is that it isn't completely organized. I think that is an issue that needs to be addressed about all of this. There has to be some sort of organization, simply throwing up stickies isn't the solution.
        1995 Pontiac Firebird
        2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

If the stickies are where we are going to store all our basic info, why even have a tech database? IMO, either put all the stickes in the tech database, or all the tech database in the stickies. Having some info in one place, and other info in another just creates redundancy and confusion when searching for answers.
          THey need to be put into the Database, NOT the other way around. THe stickies in and of themselves are a little bit of a mess.
          1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th
            The problem with searching/stickies is that it isn't completely organized. I think that is an issue that needs to be addressed about all of this. There has to be some sort of organization, simply throwing up stickies isn't the solution.
            I agree with the organization of the stickes. Ive tried to address this in the appearance forum by creating a FAQ sticky with popular questions addressed within. See this link: http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=26085

I feel this works much better than 10 random stickies.

Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

THey need to be put into the Database, NOT the other way around. THe stickies in and of themselves are a little bit of a mess.
              They sure do. The problem is that someone needs to keep up with the mass of info. Its much easier to update a sticky than to have one person update the tech webpages.

Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

They sure do. The problem is that someone needs to keep up with the mass of info. Its much easier to update a sticky than to have one person update the tech webpages.

Well, Robert, is there any way of letting someone have access to the Database to do some organizing, or is that something that only you can access?
                1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Agreed. Consoladating those two would be a good idea.

About what josh said: to be honest i have my bookmark go straight to the forum itself... haven't looked at the main page in aaaages.

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
                  i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
                  R.I.P. '07 Pats
                  Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

probably something he can only access.

the tech data base and mod encyclopedia could use alot more things. such as the FI section. we have probably 10 different turbo setups on this site and the last time i checked it there was really nothing about turbo setups period. maybe get some of our turbo guys submit their setups with a full list of their setup and whatever else is deemed relevant to it

the nitrous section could use a dusting too. not much info available other than a breif overview.

theres no mention of cams and heads available either.

as far as the lounge, i think it would hurt to take it away. it keeps people from flooding every other part of the site with off topic stuff. one thing ive noticed about most sites it that the lounge in all of them are always one of the largest gathering spots for members and keeps them coming back for more than just info, it makes it more like a home for us all. taking it away would be a bad idea. the topics.. eh, some get out of hand but its like that everywhere you go, im a member of well over 30 sites and ours is cleaner than any i visit by far. the ban stick should stay retired (unless we have a unrulely member that needs to go) stefan wore that sucker out and in the process contributed to part of the bad things that some people associate with our site.

ive mentioned the media section before, i still think it would be a nice addition not to mention it would cut down on some of the clutter found in the lounge.

another section i think we could use is a new member introduction section. once again, it cuts down on the lounge clutter.

as for the stickies... well i dont know what can really be done about that. adding them to the main site would help, but eventually they'd need revamping again and its easier to just edit the thread than have robert change one small thing every other day when we find something new to add to it. i made a full list of bolt ons etc (still working on it when i have the time), and id rather just take my own time out of the day to edit it than have to bother robert and steve with small details i might want to add.

just my opinion.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                    Or this

Comment

You all need to remember one thing - the Tech Database and Mod Encyclopedia were created FIRST. They are what started this site, not the messageboard. It was an after thought.

The reason being that Stefan and I were tired of reading all the WRONG info given out in messageboard posts at Z28.com. The Tech Database has been researched and verified as best we could. There is STILL much wrong info given out on this messageboard.

I will revise the TD if the info is correct. Anyone who wants to can create a page, and I'll review it and upload it. I've made this offer before, but no one has taken me up on it.
                      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT
                        You all need to remember one thing - the Tech Database and Mod Encyclopedia were created FIRST. They are what started this site, not the messageboard. It was an after thought.

The reason being that Stefan and I were tired of reading all the WRONG info given out in messageboard posts at Z28.com. The Tech Database has been researched and verified as best we could. There is STILL much wrong info given out on this messageboard.

I will revise the TD if the info is correct. Anyone who wants to can create a page, and I'll review it and upload it. I've made this offer before, but no one has taken me up on it.
                        That sounds like a fair deal. I can agree with the wrong info being posted, I will see what I can come up with for starters. A parts list would be IDEAL, if you have the space for something like that. The specs we have are good, just not into great detail as I would like.

Anyone else have any other suggestions on what can be added to JUST the Tech Database?
                        1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Id like to hear more input from the more dedicated members, older memebers, and just outright postwhores.
                          guilty on all 3. :cool:

I've used the tech database & stickies more since getting the mero. I've also been referring peeps to this sight from over @ thirdgen.org for those wanting more info on the 3.4, especially for the intake/head swaps. I've also been pluging this sight for those interested in doing the 3800 II swaps ( at least 3 peeps so far via engine swap forum & PM's over there)

To me, there are waaaaaay too manny stickies. Maybe if they could be consolidated/moved to the tech database under their major assembly, as read in the holy book haynes/chiltons.
                          1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                          2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                          94 comero 3.4

Comment

Something else I wanted to mention Robert, any chance you can do some changes to your part of the site? Redo some colors and graphics?
                            1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

This site is great, there's a ton of useful info on here. The stickies are great but as was already said there's getting to be too many of them. Maybe if they got reorganized to be more navigable and easier to go through. Maybe setup one or two with hyperlinks that redirect to specfic sections. That might get to be overwhelming and confusing as well but it's a thought.
                              Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

I try to organize mine and such and keep it a small list but it never fails someone adds more
                                2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X