Serious Revamping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Serious Revamping

keep the PCM pinouts and start over on most everything else.

the 3.4 pinouts have said coming soon since i joined the site like over 5 years ago now.

the mod info is outdated hardly any of it alp pies anymore. that is what sucks about these data base's is someone has to update it ever once in a while.

hell even my sticky in the FI area is "dated" since i made it. i need to edit it one of these days :poke:
    www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

A few banners isn't bad at all... I know a few sites that just have 2 banners on the top and bottom. But as far as having so many members that you think more people will be watching well I have to disagree. I know of countless forums that people will post something and it not get answered. I've been on a few where newb intro's don't even get answered because nobody wants to waste their time with it. Now since most of us post on here everyday then we would probably still chat alot, but ask anyone who has just joined and see how many people welcomed them. Its gonna be alot more then some of these other sites.

As far as me not being on here as long as you, well I don't see the site falling, but you may. I agree that communication should be better... and things need updated, but I think it sounds like everyone wants to totally change the forum. I think giving more power to a few mods would fix a majority of the problems. Nobody has a problem with bibber when he takes care of threads and he's quick to justify why as well. There are a few others that take care of business and would do a great job.
      Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT
        You all need to remember one thing - the Tech Database and Mod Encyclopedia were created FIRST. They are what started this site, not the messageboard. It was an after thought.

The reason being that Stefan and I were tired of reading all the WRONG info given out in messageboard posts at Z28.com. The Tech Database has been researched and verified as best we could. There is STILL much wrong info given out on this messageboard.

I will revise the TD if the info is correct. Anyone who wants to can create a page, and I'll review it and upload it. I've made this offer before, but no one has taken me up on it.

No one has EVER taken me up on this.

These posts are just talk, no action. So either "putup or shutup".
        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Umm.... I believe several people who are wanting to "putup" are waiting for the approval of Steve. So until he gives them the ok, or the ability to do such things, there isn't much else to do besides brainstorm.
          Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by Fbody3400
            Umm.... I believe several people who are wanting to "putup" are waiting for the approval of Steve. So until he gives them the ok, or the ability to do such things, there isn't much else to do besides brainstorm.
            No...Robert has the tech database, so since he ok'd it, then it will be done. Steve runs the message board, Robert has most everything else.

If at the very least we can get the tech database updated, then thats a good start. Lets see how many people we can get to chip in and get this done.
            1995 Pontiac Firebird
            2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

things i see date off the bat

Vendors

Notice as you peruse through the modification listings that the text often states "typical price for this product is such-and-such". While it would be nice for us to have the price for each part listed along with its description, vendors and manufacturers are constantly changing their prices and availability. Items go on sale, some prices rise, vendors sponsor group purchases... in the end the best we can do is to give you a ballpark figure to give you a rough idea of what you are looking at. All of the products listed in this guide can be purchased from our numerous sponsors. Be sure to check them out and mention that you were referred to them by FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com - your V6 performance source!

Also, to check out group purchases and specials exclusive to FV6/CV6 members, check out the Sponsors Forum on our Message Board.
              there are no sponsors

# Clear Image Automotive 3.8 - the newest header for the 3.8, the CIA set has shown strong dyno gains. They are of quality construction and do not leak like the RKSport version does. The price is usually around $600 direct from Clear Image.
              # Pacesetter 3.8 - these have been listed as "coming soon" for some time. We are uncertain as to whether or not they are being produced yet. Price is listed as $310 but these are not ceramic coated.
              # Pacesetter 3.4 - these are probably the most popular headers for the 3.4. Price is around $310 but these are not ceramic coated.
              # RKSport ceramic 3.8 - These are shipped with flimsy primary/Y-pipe gaskets and many people have had problems with them leaking. Some people have tried using stronger gaskets, others have had them mig-welded together. Cost is usually around $490.
              # RKSport ceramic 3.4 - we have had no reports of problems with the 3.4 header gaskets leaking, so in this case 3.4 owners get a break. Price is usually around $500.
              prices are dated
              pacestter has been out for 3 years, and you can get coated for about 350
              aboot racing sells really good gaskets for them

rksport still sucks tho lol

start over for the most part there a tons of system out there now

Computer Tuning - start over it has change SO SO MUCH

Cooling Systems - few adjustments needed like you can run 160 all the time unless you live in like Alaska........ Purple ICE is out now, summit sells a radiator for the 3.8 now

Shift Light - lots more out there now and digital and laser ones also

shifter - about the same i think

Clutch - TQ ratings are still wrong on spec, spec offers more selection now

Torque Converter - there are like 5+ brands out now, i run the highest stal knowen on a street car (4600) witch back in that day was well.... WAY TO HIGH BLAH BLAH BLAH, infact it was consider so high it was used in jokes... lol

DS - good i think

Gears - many many people DD the 4.10 and some run 4.56's the stuff about gas milage it wrong most people report better gas milage cuase the motor can move the car easier.

Differential - lol at this there is eaton out and locker and those other to that skip my mind right now. sextel is impossible to find and if you you'll brake it with any kinda power or launch.

Ignition - only reason to get the DIS is ...... 1 if you have a 3.4, 2 you have a boosted 3.8 and need the revlimiter it has to launch with...... i run stock wires on my car at 20psi boost.... work great and they cost $20

Coil Inductors - stock or jegs are best end of story, msd and accle both suck balls

plugs - add auot light and other brands look at my sticky in FI for great info on that

wires - see above

pullies - ZZP sells some and so 3800performance and others.

Fuel Delivery - Caspers Electronics AFPR: sorry this **** don't fit i tried it already, plus what about pump and filters, injectors, and etc. ?

over all update of dated stuff.

good info but it is very outdated the ATI kit is not there no turbo stuff even the powerdyne is very info, and i don't even own one lol

good info just modernize it

please note

i used the wrong words by saying "start over" I dont mean that whatevers in there is crap, some can be used but it needs to be 2007 and not 2002 data.

there are thing people are doing now that that article make it seem impossible to even do.

you asked theres my opinion
              www.turbov6camaro.com
              1997 3800 Series II Camaro
              4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
              7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
              11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

I think giving more power to a few mods would fix a majority of the problems. Nobody has a problem with bibber when he takes care of threads and he's quick to justify why as well. There are a few others that take care of business and would do a great job.
                I don't know why or how Steve would be able to divide up administrative tasks and limit how each person does it. Im talking about physical changes to the site, not just moderation. With moderation, only the message can be changed, I have been proposing the physical appearance, interface, and accessibility of the site. ONLY Steve and Robert can do that. We moderators have no control over adminstrative tasks.

but I think it sounds like everyone wants to totally change the forum.
                Not totally, but to a major extent. Its not a matter of just updating, there are certain things that only Steve and Robert can fix, because they have the software sitting right in front of them. As a moderator, there is a limit to what we can do.

Viper, you are on the right track, and I think that is where we need to start. I am going to start a post to see who can research what and what info we can get.
                1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

im glad to see some dialog here. :)

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                  http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                  Or this

Comment

Don't tell me that something needs to be "updated" or "fixed". That is NOT helping. Give me EXACTLY what info should be uploaded. E-mail me with writeups, etc. I'll paste it in the appropriate section on FirebirdV6.com.

I have TWO jobs that keep me occupied from 7am to 8pm. So, I don't have the time to do research.

I can and will update or fix ANYTHING on FirebirdV6.com. The messageboard I will only do minor things as an Admin, since Steve owns it.
                    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Im working on it.....give us time, we should have some stuff to turn in.
                      1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

so... I dunno how many of you know who i "actually" am -- I asked Steve to change my username to this because I now use it universally on a lot of boards -- I used to be known as Russell on this board.

Anyhow, introductions and remembering aside, I have been here a long time. I remember when firebirdv6.com got discussed between stefan, robert and mike wenski - i was in the ICQ chat that began the whole idea.

The idea that this is a tech board is right, that was the original intention from what I remember. The problem with that is that times have changed; people dont give two sh-ts about information anymore, they want a place where they can socialize and meet people with like interests, and if they get info out of it so much the better. I'm noticing this with my car club forums in that the last 5 members I have had actually sign up for the club tell me that we need more pictures on the site and they need to be of all the activities that we do. When i ask them about the "photos" section and if they've visited it, they ask me where it is - when i say we have a website, the general answer is "you do?" I was even asked by one of the members if we had ever considered putting up a website in addition to our message board!

I honestly think that you guys need to consider this in making FBv6 popular again. The "competitors" (not willing to name the name of that crap board out there) focus on discussion first, and technical write-ups second.

My suggestion: make this site into more of a "portal" design - with discussion primary and links to galleries, featured cars and techincal articles.

you could do away with "multiple stickies" if you created an archive of posts that addressed certain questions and then referred people to the archived post.

one of the problems inherent with this is that you have to have active moderators who are willing to delete redundant and unnecessary posts and dont just leave them locked and in the forums to clutter it.

hope i've helped some. im glad this forum is still around and personally id rather see it succeed than a few of the "others" out there.

-R

hybrid - \'\'hI-br&d - The offspring of a cross between species.
                        Co-Founder West Coast F-Bodies
                        West Coast F-Bodies Car Club - WCFB Message Board

Comment

Don't tell me that something needs to be "updated" or "fixed". That is NOT helping. Give me EXACTLY what info should be uploaded. E-mail me with writeups, etc. I'll paste it in the appropriate section on FirebirdV6.com.

I have TWO jobs that keep me occupied from 7am to 8pm. So, I don't have the time to do research.

I can and will update or fix ANYTHING on FirebirdV6.com. The messageboard I will only do minor things as an Admin, since Steve owns it.
                          i wrote a little ditty in the Advanced Tech forum that you are more than welcome to. If you need images or whatever let me know and I'll update it for you.

I'm working on a formal "this is how you do it" writeup on the 3400 topend swap for the 3.4L Engines- but I have a jobhunt goin on rite now :-p

hybrid - \'\'hI-br&d - The offspring of a cross between species.
                          Co-Founder West Coast F-Bodies
                          West Coast F-Bodies Car Club - WCFB Message Board

Comment

I honestly think that you guys need to consider this in making FBv6 popular again. The "competitors" (not willing to name the name of that crap board out there)
                            This is alot of the reason why I am trying to stir things up. I think the "competition" has a little more edge than us, but you must still remember, we've been here longer. The popularity of this board is waning, less and less posts per day it seems. If Black34V6 thinks that discussion is good, I can agree with that as well, it is something that used to go on quite frequently.

The reason for the update of the Tech Database is two things. 1) it NEEDS it, and 2) I believe if an honest effort is put forth to update that FROM members, then there could be more persuasion to update the other things on the message board half of the site(s). Baby steps would be best into proving ourselves with the administrators that we want some change.

But for the most part, Black (Russell), you're right. And if you are willing to send me a copy of the top end rebuild of the 3400, I would like to read it personally as well. I might be able to edit a few things out here and there, but I think it might be ok.
                            1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

TTT, still havent heard from you steve.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                              http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                              Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber
                                TTT, still havent heard from you steve.
                                He is offline for a little bit. Hopefully he comes back soon. http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=82026

Originally posted by TealV6
                                So needless to say, this week will not be what I had in mind with the remainder of my vacation time. So I need to process all this and then get back to what my original plans were, working on things here.

Moderator, keep things in line please.

Steve

:)
                                09 Nissan 370Z MB M6 Sports Package
                                sigpic

www.the370z.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...