Motor oil sticky idea...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor oil sticky idea...

can we PLEASE put a darn sticky up about motor oil. Its gotten way too repetitive to keep saying that just about every oil is the just about the same and that additives are useless...

heres a link to a report done by consumer reports, one of the most trusted test labs in the US...
    http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm

heres a link to a technical breakdown of different oils...
    http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/misc/all_oilfaq.html

i'd look around on google more but i'm lazy. I did find a spot where they got 5 hp more out of synthetics but i'm still skeptical because they did not use the same weight of oil for every test... some of them were 0W-40 or crap like that. And besides, unless you have a pure race car (few of us on this board do) why would we want to recommend a 65$ oil change +filter especially when raced engines need oil changes very frequently.

the bottom line comes down to this: use the factory recommended oil weight (they spend millions on engineering, listen to the OEM) and, straight from the CR study: "The bottom line. In our tests, brand didn't matter much as long as the oil carried the industry's starburst symbol (see "It's not just oil," article 3 of 4). Beware of oils without the starburst; they may lack the full complement of additives needed to keep modem engines running reliably."
    2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Re: Motor oil sticky idea...

write one up, put in in gen tech, ill sticky it.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
    Or this

Comment

what he said :)
      FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
      Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
      Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

alright, i'll get 'er done 2night. get a bit more info together. thanks guys!
        2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

you may be reluctant to use info from a toyotal corolla enthusiast website, but if you're looking for advice on oil filters I find the following website to be really useful:

http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html

The guy pulled apart all kinds of filters and discusses their quality. Its really helpful!

Comment

i havent forgotten about htis... i'll get to it in a day or two. I want to make it a good one, not opinionated.

Comment

Just link right to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ and be done with it!
              Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
              Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

I DID notice a difference with royal purple motor oil and rear diff oil.

just an fyi
                Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                  by ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                  1 week ago
                • RPDRed6
                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                  by RPDRed6
                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                  3 weeks ago
                • ssms5411
                  No start problem
                  by ssms5411
                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                  4 weeks ago
                • SixShooter'00Camaro
                  Revival
                  by SixShooter'00Camaro
                  Working on getting my 99 Camaro back in action. Long story short, got parked in the garage about 5 years ago (kids, career stuff ect.) trying to get her...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X