head swap day one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head swap day one

im taking a little break right now and decided to take a couple pictures.
    replacing the heads with some mildly self ported heads. Also using slightly oversized valves. (1.86/1.55 vs. stock 1.80/1.52) with a .03'' head mill and a 3 angle valve job. Also port matched and p/p intakes. Doing the tear down today and should have everything back together monday

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Re: head swap day one

Looks great man, do tell how they affect the performance. I'm still putting off installing mine because I haven't bought springs yet.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Looking good!
      '99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0 - 4300K HID, Some Bolt-ons
      '97 RS - HPTuner, Bolt-ons
      '09 WRX - Aesthetic mods

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky View Post
        Looks great man, do tell how they affect the performance. I'm still putting off installing mine because I haven't bought springs yet.
        after the install comes a tune, and then i hit the dyno, mayb next week. Hoping for around 220ish at the weels

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

looks good...hell only a couple more steps and u could have installed a cam too...

87 Firebird RIP
          96 Camaro RS RIP
          94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
          02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

looking like all is going well so far
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I'm glad your doing yours first, so you can give me tips when I do mine. Looks good.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by SilverRS96 View Post
                looks good...hell only a couple more steps and u could have installed a cam too...
                IIRC, he's doing 1.9 rockers, so no cam.
                ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

here are a couple updated pictures

this is what the old head looks like

new head

Comment

That Dexcool looks nice! :eek:
                    Doug<br />1996 Camaro RS M5 Y87<br />SLP Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, 1LE frt/rear sway bars

Comment

I hope you flush the dexacool out and put in the green stuff. Since you have it apart.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

putting in water with an additive. funny thing is i havent used dex cool for a while now

Comment

how do you plan on getting all that crap out of your block, i took my intakes off and thats EXACTLY what mine looked like.. what additive did you use to get rid of all that??? how do you plan on fluching the block with the heads off?
                          Might save me from dropping the motor!
                          Archer

OH and takes pics when your done flushing, I want to see what its suppose to look like.
                          MISC: 01 parts. Some interior, T top kit, seats etc.
                          http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=95347

Comment

yea, so i will go ahead and appologize for raising the dead, but i need an update on this.

I loosened my heads tonight, and will be pulling them tomorrow and checking for valve leaks and then taking to have em decked (if they need it i guess.) then maybe a 3 angle job, and maybe pocket porting. so my question is, what do i do about coolant? and what was noticed power wise? maybe what others have done head wise and made more power? im totally having a blast...

and maybe someone can also tell me about power gains from 1.9:1 rockers....im totally toying with that idea too. would a tune help that and the head work?

The only experience i have is in aircooled vws, i can match the cam to the ports im doing and everything on them, but im not sure how that can relate to these heads, cause dub heads are COMPLETELY different, and aluminum...
                            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Please don't flame me for resurrecting an old thread. This is simply to show you guys that I did attempt to search before posting this question and most of the threads that somewhat answer my question are a year old and some of those with pictures are dead links now.

I am in need of pictures of the cylinder heads with the accessories removed. I had to exchange my cylinder heads for rebuilt ones and I like a dumbass forgot to take pictures of the old heads before shipping them off in exchange for the rebuilt ones. The rebuilt ones I got came without the studs inserted and I vaguely remember which holes have studs and which ones have bolts but I want to double check the locations before I purchase new studs and install them. Another issue is in the fact that shortly after pulling the heads off I was involved in a motorcycle accident and broke my ankle in 3 places which made the immediate reassembly a bit of a problem on crutches. The lapse in time gives me more of a desire to just double check this stuff before going to the trouble of torquing the heads down.

None of the parts diagrams that I could find on gmpartsdirect (which I am assuming are from the factory engine diagrams) show the heads with the studs inserted. Most of the pictures here are either of the heads completely stripped down or fully reassembled. My Haynes manual also does not go into this much detail.

Meatyshells, your pictures are a great start- thank you. I can see at least one of the studs in the driver's side cylinder head but none of the pictures I could find show the rears or the other stud locations. Any help is appreciated. Also, while I have the engine stripped down this far (block is still in car) if anyone needs me to take any pictures I will be more than happy to do so. Thanks!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X