How to prep for paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prep for paint?

Hey guys i was just wondering the steps involved on prepping your car for paint. For example what grit sand paper in what order, or when to wet sand and when to do the body work. Because whenever i do go get my car repainted im gonna do it myself, try to be kinda detailed, thanks!

Re: How to prep for paint?

i want to know this too, i know the final steps are to be wet sanded, im not expert though, i i am wanting to redo my font and back bumpers once i take my car apart for my next big project

Comment

the greatschotzky did one hell of a good write up on it, read this http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=91029
      Robby
      2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
      sigpic

Comment

ah very true i forgot about that, i know i could probably do it, but i see the amount of steps it takes and i get discouraged, i dont know how a rattle can can look that good either, and i kinda feel ghetto spray painting body parts

i want to get a legit paint setup, how much does a decent setup cost, for gun,hoses and filters and what not, i already have a compressor

Comment

Originally posted by Fondle View Post
          i want to get a legit paint setup, how much does a decent setup cost, for gun,hoses and filters and what not, i already have a compressor
          This all depends on what you want. There are spray guns out there from $30 to $500. A decent starter-gun should be in the range of $100 (give or take).

Hoses run about $25 for 50'.

They make inline filters for spray guns. They do the job pretty well and they're basically cheap. Here's what they look like: http://cgi.ebay.com/DISPOSABLE-PAINT...d=p3286.c0.m14 You can get them at almost any autobody store.

Primer, paint, & clearcoat is next. Altogether, they'll run you about $400, depending on the color and the brand of clearcoat you buy. You can find cheaper, and you can also spend much more if the paint has alot of pearls, metal flakes, candy's, etc. in it. It all depends on what you want.

What size and horsepower compressor do you have? This is crucial! If the compressor cannot keep a steady pressure coming out of the tip of the gun, you'll get unevenness and paint splatters all over the place.

Also, invest on a good respirator for PAINT! You'll thank me later for that tip :) Believe me, I breathed in a boat load of metal flakes when I first started and I'm paying for it now! The cheap-o doctor's respirator doesn't do diddly-squat!

Oh, and for a "legit" setup, prepare to spend about 2 grand or more on a garage rental that's already prepped for auto painting. To get your home garage setup for that would take all kinds of money and permits.
          Last edited by hockeyman; 09-26-2009, 11:00 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

idk how big it is, its pretty small, probably not big enough to paint a whole car, but probably will be fine for smaller parts

Comment

I know of the write up that TheGr8Schlotzky did but that is more for body work or small areas i need to know the steps for the whole car i can worry about body repair afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwax13 View Post
                I know of the write up that TheGr8Schlotzky did but that is more for body work or small areas i need to know the steps for the whole car i can worry about body repair afterwards.
                you want to do the body work before you try and paint the car

Comment

I meant that i can worry about body work after i have it all sanded down. If need be i can just take to a body shop to get them fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwax13 View Post
                    I meant that i can worry about body work after i have it all sanded down. If need be i can just take to a body shop to get them fixed.
                    well this is what i would do

fix any small dents as best you can and fill it up with body filler, prime the whole car and give it a nice sanding

grab a few cans of black spray paint and lightly spray the car down then sand it again, the black paint will show you your high/low spots and tell you where you need to put some body filler in

after you get that done, use something to take the contaminants out of the primer then start painting

after this post i will send you a PM with a link to another forum that has a TON of info on how to paint a car, im not going to post it here since my post will probably get deleted, but if anyone wants the link, send me a pm

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X