93-97 Camaro plug and play headlight design - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

93-97 Camaro plug and play headlight design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 93-97 Camaro plug and play headlight design

Really the only thing you'll want to keep in mind is using a projector with a good cutoff to make it more HID friendly. With the kits out there now, it's very easy to convert just about any light to HID.

If you don't want to use the Hella 90mm projector, the 60mm is another option, it's considerably cheaper, and is still Hella quality. I wouldn't want to see anything smaller than that as you'll start cutting away at the output. I think the 60mm would be a good fit for this project even though it might bump up the cost a little depending on just what you're looking for.

Here's a comparison of the 60mm vs. the 90mm.

And here is a place you can buy it:

http://www.focuztech.com/product/60m...-low-beam.html

Not necessarily what I'd call "cheap" but I wouldn't want cheap, I'd want high quality. The main reason anyone would buy new lights is to get better visibility.

Here's the sketch without the cutout. This one would probably be more friendly to the 60mm, although the contrasts would be different as the 60mm is a much darker housing. It might require some creativity with the rest of the space.

Last edited by TheGr8Schlotzky; 04-03-2010, 04:46 PM.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

alright, I will definitely check out that site... my final product (assuming it gets to that point... lol) will probably have hella projectors, the reason I'm looking for cheapies is for the prototype and to be used to make a mold for the "shroud"... If I can find some cheap functional 90mm's I'll use them, if not I'll probably go with the 60... or maybe with the shape of the headlight area, I may use 90's for the lows and 60's for the highs... you think that would work?

I'm waiting on some fiberglass to cure, I'm forming what will become the rear housing of the headlight... I decided to do what I said earlier and cut the header panel off behind the headlight, and modified it a little and am using it to help create the shape I'm looking for. I think this will work out since I can use the mounting already on the header panel to attach to the headlight bracket, I just have to figure out how to attach the side of the headlight closer to the middle of the car.

I also think I've decided to make it in two pieces... There just isn't enough room to make the bulbs accessible while the headlight assembly is installed, so I think I'll make a piece that mounts to the car, similar to the header panel, and then have the headlight assembly attach to that... In my Impala, there are two clips on each headlight that hold it in place, and are pretty easy to remove, but still hold the headlight assembly solid. So I'll see if I can use that concept in mine, but I have other options in mind if I can't get that to work...
      Last edited by T-Mill; 04-05-2010, 07:57 AM.
      Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
      Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

90mm low and 60mm high could work, but you won't want to use a projector for the high beam, that would kind of defeat the purpose of the high beam. I know Hella has a 90mm free form for high beam use that is similar in size and shape to the projector, it may be the same for the 60mm.
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I think the 3 60mm's side by side would be cool , and just use a 6000k for low and a 12000k for high. Or like me I like having both of my light on when driving just brightens up everything.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
            I think the 3 60mm's side by side would be cool , and just use a 6000k for low and a 12000k for high. Or like me I like having both of my light on when driving just brightens up everything.
            A 12000K high beam would be utterly useless... Anyway I don't think he'll be reproducing these with the HID kits, just the unit that you can convert to whatever. 3 60mms could be pretty cool, but would get expensive fast.
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

The projectors will by far be the most expensive part of the build, so that'll determine a big part of the final product...

I've made some headway on the rear housing. I'm going to be refining the mold for the acrylic over the next few days... Once I get to the point where I'm actually molding some plastic I'll post up some pics... hardest part right now is getting everything to line up with where it will mount...
              Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
              Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Looking forward to the pictures!
                sigpic
                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Here are some pics of making the mold for the piece that will act as a bracket to mount the headlight to the car, just to show a little progress at least... I know it's hard to make out what's actually going on here, but I'm just posting these now and will post more as I go, and in a few steps these'll start to make sense

Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

keep up the good work. This thread has some good potential
                    1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                    1994 Camaro - Sold
                    1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

Still working on it, haven't had much to post the last week with easter last weekend and a tree almost falling on my parent's house, I've been busy... lol

But I have made progress, Most of my time's been spent sanding and shaping the mold... I think I've solved the issue of how they will be mounted, and will be posting that up with some pictures hopefully by the end of this week. Next I'm going to start shaping a mold for the lens... I originally was going to make the entire housing first and then make a lens to fit, but I figure it'd be better to make the housing fit the lens since the lens will determine the shape of what you see of the headlight...

Just letting everyone know I haven't given up yet... lol
                      Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Glad to hear you're making progress!
                        sigpic
                        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

You have a great idea/build going on mill, looking forward to more progress and pics. Keep the good work going man :tup:
                          3M MAFIA
                          ________
                          | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                          Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                          sigpic

Comment

so, I scrapped the idea for the bracket... (well not completely, I'll be using it for my front end once I get to that build...) but I've already started on the new & improved version and can work a little faster now that this is the second attempt so I've almost made the same progress on this one as I had on the first one when I realized I could make it better...

Basically the change I made was in the first one you would have to cut your header panel, and I decided that was just too impractical. It'd be pretty difficult to do without removing the front bumper cover, plus not everyone would want to do that. So this one doesn't require that, and will bolt into the header panel. I'm making the rear housing so that it will sit recessed into the header panel and will extend to the bolts that mount the header panel itself. So you'll remove the 4 bolts (2 on each side of the headlight) that hold the header panel on, put in the housing, and then put the bolts back in, securing the headlight and header panel at the same time.

I have to wait until I get some test pieces done to see if I'll be able to make it all one piece, or if I'll have to do what I mentioned earlier in the thread and make a piece that bolts to the car, and then have the headlight mount to that... It all depends on whether or not the pieces I make will be able to slide into place all as one piece, or if only the piece recessed into the header panel will fit.
                            Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

New mold:

Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

That's looking pretty good! I'm excited to see how this comes together.

I'm also glad you scrapped the idea of cutting into the header panel. Irreversible mods generally don't go over as well. And if you end up selling these, you could make some money if they are easy to install and an improvement in output over stock.

Any renderings of what you hope it's going to look like from the front of the car?
                                sigpic
                                1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                                --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X