Powdercoating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powdercoating

Anyone have experience with powder coating? I may have access to a system here soon and am thinking about powder coating a few parts, mainly my headers, and some other smaller parts while I'm at it...

I was thinking about building an oven, but my question is how important is the accuracy of the temperature? I built a small oven a while ago for my vacuum former, but temp control isn't imperative for that, as long as I could regulate it to within like 25* I was fine, which was fairly easy.

So how important is temp control? How accurate does it have to be?

Obviously I'll be doing some more research and lots of practice before I do any actual pieces, I'm just asking this because I need to know if I should just plan on buying an oven (garage sale season is coming) or if I can build one for a descent price, because accurate temp controls can get pricey....
    Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
    Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Re: Powdercoating

I would do the valve covers as well.

Comment

do a search, there is someone on this forum that powdercoats stuff for people, ou might want to talk to him

Comment

I plan on powder coating the headers, valve covers, fuel rail for sure, then possibly a few other parts like the plenum, TB, water pump, and maybe even the front cover, alternator, and all the pulleys... and maybe some other parts, basically any metal part that I can fit into an oven (which is why I'd like to build my own)

I think I'm going to just end up buying an oven for now, though... I found one on craigslist that's at a garage sale tomorrow for $10. The ad says the oven works fine, but the burners don't work which is fine with me bc it makes it cheap. Then down the road, if I get good enough at it I can make an oven to better suit my needs...
        Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
        Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

I saw a video once of some guy successfully powdercoating a catch can inside of a toaster oven. I'm sure temps are somewhat critical, but how accurate can a friggen' toaster oven be??

I'd say give it a shot with some smaller items first. Post pics of before/after too.
          sigpic

Comment

will do... I've got plenty of scrap pieces to practice on. I'll be leaving in about 20 minutes to go pickup the powder coat system and hopefully my friend will let me borrow his truck today or tomorrow so I can go pick up my $10 oven
            Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

i hope its not a gas oven.. from what i have read gas over + powdercoat = sh!t oh yah and the fact the powder is very flammable..boom
              Last edited by vr4gasm; 05-15-2010, 03:55 PM.
              2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
              1991 3000GT VR4
              2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

It's definitely electric... in some reading online it actually said that if done right, gas is just as safe as electric, but with no experience, I think I'll stick to electric...
                Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

I powdercoat :) Here is what I have done

Theres more I just cant find the pics at the moment
                  Last edited by shiznizzal24; 05-15-2010, 10:07 PM.
                  Just a v6 with a few mods, no big plans :bs:

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X