Hidden Auxillary Hood Latch Release Cable - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hidden Auxillary Hood Latch Release Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hidden Auxillary Hood Latch Release Cable

Due to the 4 pic limit, I had to break this up into sections. This is simply a guide of what I did, you may be able to tweak it to better work for you and suit your needs or on hand supplies. This was done on my 93Firebird, Im not sure if later year models or Camaros are laid out the same way. But Im sure if youre inventive enough, that you can make the basic principle work in your situation.

I know we've all either thought about or actually had to deal with how to get the hood up if/when the cable breaks. Well, so far Ive been lucky enough not to deal with the problem on my personal ride, but a few weeks ago at work, I had that very problem. I didnt have to deal with the work truck but it made me come up with a solution for me and the rest of us. Below is my crude, but functional fix to the problem....best of all, it can be done in about an hour or less.

Tools-Supplies needed:
    drill with a 1/8" dia drill bit
    good pair of wire cutters/crimpers
    13mm wrench or socket wrench
    16"-24" inches of braided safety cable 1/16" in dia.
    something to use as the latch end cable catch
    1 key-ring big enough to put a finger in
    1 blue scotch lock wire connector
    1 yellow butt wire connector
    2 small zip ties
    electrical tape

Lets begin:

1st: open hood and locate the two 13mm bolts holding the latch in place

2nd: remove the (2) 13mm bolts and pull the latch up out of the way, in order to access the factory latch cable

3rd: slide the end of the cable out of the end of the latch and out of the way, once youve done that, squeeze the tabs together on the cable housing and slide the cable out of the latch as well.
    Last edited by LarryMow; 04-26-2011, 08:18 PM.

Re: Hidden Auxillary Hood Latch Release Cable

4th: at this point, drill a small 1/8" hole in the bottom left corner of the latch...this is where your new cable will be routed thru.

5th: set the latch off to the side, because now you have to make your cable end. I happened to find something laying around that worked good for my cause, Im sure youll be able to find something equally useful. Heres my end. I run the cable thru it, looped it back in, and crimped it several times...holding so far.

Comment

6th: route the cable into top of the hole in the latch pull (small hole behind the latch slot), your cable end should be on top then route the other cable end thru the hole you drilled earlier.

Comment

7th: locate the rubber flap and access hole to underside of car, this is where youll run the other end of the cable for your grab-ring. The hole is kinda rectangular and can be seen at the pencils point.

8th: creating your pull ring, open up the blue scotch lock, run the cable thru the key ring and into the scotch lock creating a loop, then close the lock with a pair crimpers. Just to make sure it doesnt pop open and fall off eventually, I also wrapped it with electrical tape and put a zip tie on each end of the scotch lock.

9th: put the factory cable back into the latch, then replace the (2) 13mm bolts into the latch and tighten down back to where it was originally. Shut the hood, lay down in front of the car, find the pull ring, and gently pull....the hood should pop open.

YOU'RE DONE!!! and you'll never have to worry about getting the hood open should the cable break. No one will no its there, unless you tell them. Its a small cable so even if someone knows about it, its easy enough to conceal from sight, but also easy enough to access when needed.

Comment

Thats pretty cool
          1997 Chevrolet Camaro
          L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

thats awesome.
            Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
            1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
            1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
            2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

thanks....i know its kind of a crude set up....but hell, you only need it to work just the one time that you actually need it to. I tested it 6 or 7 times at the house, and another several times showing it to the guys in my club. So far the response has been very positive.

Comment

Nice work and write up mang.
                3M MAFIA
                ________
                | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                sigpic

Comment

What's the point?.... just a backup in case your normal latch fails?

Comment

Originally posted by SixShooter'00Camaro View Post
                    Nice work and write up mang.
                    thanks

Originally posted by Docta View Post
                    What's the point?.... just a backup in case your normal latch fails?
                    yeah thats it.....if the cable breaks without popping the hood in the process, you can use this one as a backup. the way its setup, you leave the original in place and just let this one hang down in front of the radiator for if and when you need it.

Comment

In a few weeks when I get some extra time to kill, Im gonna try to fab up another cable to use...one that doesnt look so rigged up. I hoping to make something really nice looking, maybe even try to market the things to other Fbody owners.

Comment

interesting write up, though i really dont see the point of this yet hahaha
                        Robby
                        2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 V6

|JET Chip|Flowmaster American Thunder|K&N Intake|BMR STB|Spohn Rear Sway Bar|

http://speed-bros.com/
                        sigpic

Comment

yet being the operative word...its one of those things that you dont think about it until you actually need it.

Comment

I've read, seen and heard about all sorts of issues on f bodies, but I've never heard of anyone unable to open their hood because the cable release failed.

Now, if you could rig up something as a backup for rolling the window up and down when the window motor fails, that would be amazing...
                            I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                            CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                            FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Everglades W68 View Post
                              Now, if you could rig up something as a backup for rolling the window up and down when the window motor fails, that would be amazing...
                              LOL, one thing at a time

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X