Billet Grille WITH Supercharged Hideaway License Plate - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Billet Grille WITH Supercharged Hideaway License Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billet Grille WITH Supercharged Hideaway License Plate

I got my billet grille. The cheap one from Wee1 off of E-bay, goes over existing stock black grille.

When I got it, I noticed the bend was off a little, but I just tweaked it to fit better. Then I must have sat there for a half hour trying to figure out how you are suppose to get those zip-ties to secure the new grille.
    I gave up on those and went digging through the tool cart to see what I could find. BINGO, a pair of small 6" bungee chords - Ghetto rig the SOB!!!

As I told you guys before. I planned on still having my license plate on the front, but in a manner in which you can't really see it - if you're not looking for it. The stock license plate bracket obviously wouldn't fit, so I chuncked that, leaving just the plate itself. I considered drilling a couple holes marked by indentions where the factory bracket/plate once sat. So itd be in the same place and wouldn't go anywhere. But I didn't want to mess up my stock grille with holes should I need or sell it later.

So I took my plate, bent it over my knee until I got the correct angle of the Camaro nose.

Back to intalling the billet grille...
    I hooked the backing plate on the far left and right side of the billet grille with the bungee chords, fished the bungee chords through the middle stock grille openings on the left and right sides, up into the bumper frame area and attached them to various holes, bumper brackets, light brackets, frame brackets, etc until they were secured.

The grille is fairly tight, enough that it won't come off even in aggressive driving, or a wicked pot-hole. But if you purposely manipulate it by hand you can pull it about an inch or two away from the stock grille. With that gap, I stuck the license plate between the two, and let go. It pulled tight against the stock grille again. And used a couple fingers to get the license plate centered perfect.

It's awesome. You really can't see the plate unless you are looking for it. The front end remains nice and clean looking.
    But as you'll see in the pictures, any amount of light hits the front end of the car, like a bright spot-light (in my case a camera flash) the reflective license plate lights up and is easily read. Should keep my legal.

The new billet grille, no light applied. Because you are eye to eye with the Camaro, near the ground, you can see the plate more. When you stand up, the lines of the billet grille hide it entirely.

But when a light source is applied to the front end of the car, like a spot light (who would have a spot light - and would be looking for a front license plate :D ) you see this...

If you read this at a later date, you'll need to AIM or E-Mail me for the latter picture displaying my license plate. This is only for demonstration purposes, cropping my plate number out would take away from what you are suppose to see. I will be taking the link to this picture down in a weeks time. Please don't copy or send this to anyone. Let them notify me, I'll be glad to oblige them.

[ November 10, 2003: Message edited by: Bliggida ]

[ November 18, 2003: Message edited by: Bliggida ]</p>
    <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

blig,

unfortunately it is still illegal, and you can be ticketed for that.
    6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

I would think an upstanding member of our society sch as a cop would know that it is probably not legal. I believe the Texas law states that a front license plate must be on all vehicle and visible at all times, not just at night or when light is on it.

Comment

Put it this way. I won't get a ticket for it.

Depends on how hard you are trying to see it. Whether direct artificial light applied or not, You can read my plate if you want to.

Unlike the rear plate. There isn't any law stating that it must be visible from XX feet. It just says it must be visible. Well it is visible. Maybe not as much as one would like but fact is...
        the plate is there,
        the plate is readable.

[ November 10, 2003: Message edited by: Bliggida ]</p>
        <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

corrupt police officials.

"lets put it this way, I wont get a ticket for it"
          jackass.

Comment

Has nothing to do with being corrupt. Nor am I a police official.

You can see my plate, therefore its legal. Legal, means I won't get a ticket.

Try again 93V6.

Comment

Youre right, I doubt youre official too... See we agree on something.

[ November 10, 2003: Message edited by: 93v6firebird ]</p>

Comment

I was pulled over in 1999 for a missing front plate on my 1990 Camry. The DPS officer that pulled me over told me that the front plate had to be visible from 50'. I guess he was lying.
                Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

Sec. 502.409. WRONG, FICTITIOUS, ALTERED, OR OBSCURED [UNCLEAN] LICENSE PLATE.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a number plate or registration insignia that:

(7) has a coating, covering, or protective material that:

(A) distorts angular visibility or detectability; or

(B) alters or obscures the letters or numbers on the plate, the color of the plate, or another original design feature of the plate.
                  Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

You're a cop Bliggida?

Comment

Guess that wasnt covered in License Plates 101 at the academy... huh?
                      Learn to do your job, cowboy.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by HAZ-Matt:
                        Sec. 502.409. WRONG, FICTITIOUS, ALTERED, OR OBSCURED [UNCLEAN] LICENSE PLATE.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a number plate or registration insignia that:

(7) has a coating, covering, or protective material that:

(A) distorts angular visibility or detectability; or

(B) alters or obscures the letters or numbers on the plate, the color of the plate, or another original design feature of the plate.
                        <hr></blockquote>

A) does not distort the angular visibility or detectability. Can still be seen... clearly.

B)does not alter or obscure the letters or numbers on the plate, the color of the plate, or another original design feature of the plate. All implements are satisfied with a visual inspection.

93V6, no they didn't teach LP's 101 at the Acedemy. It should have been obvious to myself that you're too stupid to know the difference between a Detention Officer and a Peace Officer. But then again that doesn't suprise me.

No, Clark.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bliggida:
                          A) does not distort the angular visibility or detectability. Can still be seen... clearly.<hr></blockquote>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bliggida:
                          When you stand up, the lines of the billet grille hide it entirely.<hr></blockquote>

...I am confused.

Comment

ok so a. the view is distorted and b. youre not a cop?
                            so youre basically a prison guard? right?
                            Ever seen the movie Super Troopers?

Comment

Don't worry Clark - its not your grille.

It can be seen.

The law is not specific as to the amount of visual acuity must be needed to read the plate. If you are standing in front of the vehicle, and have corrected or non-corrected 20/20 vision you will see the plate.

My comments about standing up were in relation to the side view of the grille. Even with an exposed license plate. you still couldn't see it at that angle.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X