coil relocation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil relocation?

I know some ppl do it on their ls1's.... Has anyone done it on their L36?
    Keith - 99 'maro - White M5 - bumpstick and boltons - 13.65 @ 101 N/A
    "I ain't too big to listen to the rumors, I'm just too @#$% big to pay attention to them" - Dr. Dre
    http://seppo.hopto.org/

what would be the purpose?

you could maybe flip it over, (so the coils are upside down) and bolt it onto the underside of where the windshield wipers are...know what i mean? then you wouldn't have to change the length of the spark plug wires or ICM wiring harness, and it'd be hella easy to get your valve cover off.

is it detrimental to change the length of your spark plug wires/ICM wiring harness? if it's not, you could remount the coils wherever you wanted to. i dunno the answer to that tho

--matt

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Seppo Kaitainen:
      I know some ppl do it on their ls1's.... Has anyone done it on their L36?<hr></blockquote>

I would like to do this soley on the purpose that it'll make it a bit easier to get my hand under the driver's side cowl with more room. I like the way the GP's and other 3800's have theirs mounted in the front, but I realize it's a FWD. All it'll take is a longer harness and an open place to mounth them. I'm open for suggestions...

-Marc
      sigpic

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by awesomeame:
        what would be the purpose?

you could maybe flip it over, (so the coils are upside down) and bolt it onto the underside of where the windshield wipers are...know what i mean? then you wouldn't have to change the length of the spark plug wires or ICM wiring harness, and it'd be hella easy to get your valve cover off.

is it detrimental to change the length of your spark plug wires/ICM wiring harness? if it's not, you could remount the coils wherever you wanted to. i dunno the answer to that tho

--matt
        <hr></blockquote>

Purpose: Looks. It should look alot cleaner if done nicely.

Um, the ICM wiring should not have to be altered... But it would require fit-to-length plug wires.
        Keith - 99 'maro - White M5 - bumpstick and boltons - 13.65 @ 101 N/A
        "I ain't too big to listen to the rumors, I'm just too @#$% big to pay attention to them" - Dr. Dre
        http://seppo.hopto.org/

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Seppo Kaitainen:
          Um, the ICM wiring should not have to be altered... But it would require fit-to-length plug wires.<hr></blockquote>

yeh, that's what i meant [img]smile.gif[/img]

--matt

Comment

i never though about that! its a dang good idea though...i dont see any reason why it would hurt...it doesnt matter where the coil is on cars that run a carburetor w/crank triggers or HEI setups...
            <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

what's a carburetor? :D

seriously tho, moving it would be cool, just so you don't have to move the frickin' thing every time you wanna get into that valve cover.

seppo, do you know if you can change the length of the spark plug & icm wires, without having any probs? the resistance in the wires is gonna change, but is that difference gonna create any probs?

--matt

Comment

Spark plug wire disance increase will have minimal impact on this, unless you decise to mount the ICM /Paks on the drivers fenderwall. For the ICM harness legnth, take it out of teh convaluted tubing & see how much play you have to work with. There's about 1' lead to work with before it ties into the big harness lead in the back.
                1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                94 comero 3.4

Comment

If I could find an extension for the harness, I'd move it. Don't know where, but I'd like to get it where it would be outta'the way (like the trunk [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

-Marc
                  sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                    Good to see the site is back up
                    by 2.8 Bird
                    So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                    2 hours ago
                  • FirebirdGT
                    New Site Hosting Issues
                    by FirebirdGT
                    All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                    1 week ago
                  • LETZRIDE
                    New Owner!
                    by LETZRIDE
                    I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X