How do you / What do you use to paint the intake manifold? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you / What do you use to paint the intake manifold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you / What do you use to paint the intake manifold?

I've seen on several peoples' sites that they have painted the "3800 Series II" on their engine. I can't remember anyone who has this now or I would ask them or put a link to their site to illustrate this. I want to paint mine red like my wire loom I have.

1) What kind of paint do I need to use on this? I know it has to stand up to heat, but is there a certain brand that's better?

2) Where can I get this paint? I'm from not too big a town, but we have advanced auto, autozone, wally-world, Home Depot, and maybe a few other places I could look.

3) [most important] How would I do this? Is there any kind of prep work I should do to make it look better/last longer? I would prefer to not take off the intake manifold because I've never done that before and I don't want to worry about damaging anything.

Thank you for any input and help you have on this.

Rob

P.S.
    If I got a BMR STB, would it cover up the area painted? I don't have one, but want to get one eventually (maybe next summer when I do the suspension).
    <b>2002 Pewter v6 Camaro</b><br />T-tops, Auto, stock GFX<br />mods: SSRA, Whisper lid, K&N filter, Borla cat-back, Pioneer HU, RF 6.5\" speakers, billet grill, clear corners, red tubing under hood, black CAMARO fill-in\'s, QTEC, GM power antenna, fan switch

ooh ooh... i wanna know know too.. i am painting my calipers tomorrow.. so why not paint something else while i am at it...
    <b>*§*Julian*§*</b><br />*~*~*~<br />2000 Grand Prix GTP -Daytona 500 Edition (only 2000 made) - Supercharged 3.8L V6<br /><br />1998 3.8L V6 A4 Firebird w/ W68 package, Y87, T-TOPS!<br /><br /><a href=\"http://myweb.usf.edu/~jadidona/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">MY SITE - CHECK IT!</a>

Comment

I started the craze.

Its very simple. Get some thick red touch up paint, or whatever color you like... and paint it carefully using it.

If you screw up, oh well [img]smile.gif[/img]

I like mine painted though, hell I forgot I did it.
      2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
      Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

High heat spray paint, and I masked off the whole plauque, I didnt like just the letters painted...if I ever finish it Ill paint the letters black and leave the background red...looks good, check the sig ;)

[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: nikon ]</p>

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
        05' CTS-V
        00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

Well, I just played in photoshop and decided (using some suggestions here and going from there) that I want to do the plaque black and the letters red. I also figured out I want to do the calipers red at one point. Anyone have a suggestion where to get this paint? I don't have to get it here, I could always order it online if there's a place that sells quality stuff you'd suggest.

Also, since I'm eventually going to paint the calipers red and have red tubing under the hood and other things red, should I get red fill-in's for the CAMARO thing on the back? I was planning on getting better ones anyway, so it'd be no big deal to get a different color.

Edit: Since I'll be doing the letters a different color than the plaque, does anyone make a paint I can apply using a brush so I can get them without masking around the letters?

[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: Rob@USC ]</p>
          <b>2002 Pewter v6 Camaro</b><br />T-tops, Auto, stock GFX<br />mods: SSRA, Whisper lid, K&N filter, Borla cat-back, Pioneer HU, RF 6.5\" speakers, billet grill, clear corners, red tubing under hood, black CAMARO fill-in\'s, QTEC, GM power antenna, fan switch

Comment

I just did my letters in black with a sharpie. it's been good for about a year now so it's withheld the heat and still looks good as when i put it on.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nikon:
              High heat spray paint, and I masked off the whole plauque, I didnt like just the letters painted...if I ever finish it Ill paint the letters black and leave the background red...looks good, check the sig ;)

[ July 22, 2003: Message edited by: nikon ]
              <hr></blockquote>

Can you take off the plauque?
              My 1996 Camaro RS <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangkiller311\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/mustangkiller311</a> \"Its out-dated\"<br />Mods=SLP CAI, 3.42/LSD, 180*, BMR StrutBrace,SLP Take-Off Shocks/Springs, Z28Swaybar, DynomaxSuperTurbo,3in pipes,Catco3in,3in Cutout ThrottleBody Spacer, SolidDriveShaft,NGKplugs, Taylor8mmWires,ZR1 rims, RS Spoiler,WhiteFacedGuages.<br />Stereo= Pioneer DEH-P8400MP, Custom Subthump enclosure, 2 BlouPunkt 12\'s, JL 500/1, Fosgate speakers, 1FaradCap.<p>NEW 1997 FireBird Formula WS6

Comment

go to autozone or advance auto parts, something like that. cost is 3.99 or 4.99 depending on brand. get HIGH TEMP PAINT!!!! i picked up a can yesterday on my way home from work and cant remeber the brand... ill check tonight and post. anyway, use engine compartment paint... but for your rotors get the can labeled brake drum and caliper paint.. engine compartment paint, while being high temp, still isnt rated high enough cause the brakes can get REALLY hot. or make sure the paint is rated up to 1500 degrees... thats the stuff i got.
                so remember, u can use brake and caliper paint on brakes and engine compartments, but NOT the other way around.
                \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MingisDew31186:

Can you take off the plauque?
                  <hr></blockquote>

well, if you take off your intake manifold, sure...but its part of the cast in the instake manifold....as for putting it on with a brush, take a plastic cup and spray some of the spray paint into the cup, dip into that, but dont dip too much, or you'll f'up...I like the sharpie idea...never thought it would work though, think im gonna go try that right now...

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
                  05' CTS-V
                  00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

sharpie...thats not a bad idea ;)

*grabs a sharpie*
                    AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I started the craze. <hr></blockquote>

You might have started the craze, but I didn't paint mine after seeing someone else's. So HAH! I have individuality!!! :D

Anyway...I just used a little bottle of paint that is used for painting little ceramic houses and stuff.

I painted it on with a little brush, very carefully. No prep or anything.

It's still holding, hasn't had a problem with heat at all.
                      1997 Camaro 30th Anniversary...M5, chrome 16\" 5-stars Goodyear 245/50R16<p><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/issycamaroman\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/issycamaroman</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                        New Site Hosting Issues
                        by FirebirdGT
                        All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                        1 week ago
                      • LETZRIDE
                        New Owner!
                        by LETZRIDE
                        I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                        4 weeks ago
                      • LETZRIDE
                        Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                        by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                        Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                        By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                        Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                        02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X