nice aftermarket 16 inch rims..so i can keep performance? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nice aftermarket 16 inch rims..so i can keep performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nice aftermarket 16 inch rims..so i can keep performance?

hello,
    anyone out there have aftermarket 16inch rims or do we have 15 inch rims i forget? i want to look good but keep all performance, i really dont want to go bigger, 17 at the MOST. but i really want to stay 16. im gonna lower the car an inch or so also.

CHEERS MUTA****ERS!
    eddie ;)

[ July 24, 2003: Message edited by: IThinkImFast ]</p>
    Mods: <br />MAF! removed, KN filter, 2.5 Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, and this week a NX system thanks to 12secdream. Carsoud cat in the mail. Cutout with qtec cover in the mail.<p>soon to come:<br />3.42\'s or 3.73\'s depends on price of reprogram, LSD, LCAs, 1 inch drop, turbo/SC not decided yet, Cam, rockers. I HATE MY V6, IM A SELF HATING V6 OWNER! MAYBE ILL JUST SELL THE V6 FOR A V8. I THINK NOT!!!!! BACK OFF!!!!! THIS V6 IS GONNA TEAR YOU A NEW ***

performance, are you really worried about losing a few 1/10's of a second in the 1/4, are you looking at chrome, cause thats just heavier, you can get an 18" that is lighter than 16", its not always the rims size, if you get something forged less material is used because forging materials is stronger than casting them, so your lighter right there...look around at rims shops and such for light rims

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
    05' CTS-V
    00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

Please, you have a v6, forget about the milliseconds lost with large rims :rolleyes:
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=401701\" target=\"_blank\">3.4L Red Firebird</a>

Comment

Actually I was wondering about the same thing. I once looked into getting new rims, but once I saw they only came in 17" or larger I changed my mind. I seem to remember from physics a formula to find the moment of inertia of a disk or a cylinder (I can't remember which now, but one seemed to fit better IMO at the time). Basically, if I remember correctly, the formula goes (1/2)*Mass*Radius^2=moment of inertia.

In other words, this formula says the force necessary to turn a thing (wheel in this case) is directly proportional to the mass and also to the radius squared. (Assuming this formula works for wheels) If you have the same rims as me (18.1 lbs each I think), you would need a 16 lb wheel to be the same moment of inertia if it's a 17" rim.

More simply, even if a rim weighs the same, by being bigger, it will slow your car down. So unless you get like a 10 lb rim, this: <blockquote>quote:</font><hr> its not always the rims size <hr></blockquote> is just a bit off. The formula I used above does not apply to a wheel, there is really not a set formula to use since different wheels have different concentrations of mass at different distances from the center. This just gives you an idea. It was enough to sway me to keep my stockers.

Sorry that was so long [img]smile.gif[/img]

Rob

Edit: Oh yeah, and if anyone does know of 16" rims that don't weigh too much but look good, lemme know [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

P.S. Does anyone know how much the 5 spoke firebird rims weigh? I don't know what years they came on, but I've seen them on newer (98+) firebirds. The ones that look kinda like vette rims.

[ July 24, 2003: Message edited by: Rob@USC ]</p>
        <b>2002 Pewter v6 Camaro</b><br />T-tops, Auto, stock GFX<br />mods: SSRA, Whisper lid, K&N filter, Borla cat-back, Pioneer HU, RF 6.5\" speakers, billet grill, clear corners, red tubing under hood, black CAMARO fill-in\'s, QTEC, GM power antenna, fan switch

Comment

Is it even 1/10th of a second off? Going by the 100lb lost 1/10th gained formula, i know the difference between 16s vs. 17s vs. 18s can't be 100lbs more. I could see if your a diehard dragster that has stage 19000 weight reduction. But enjoy your car and make it look good man. You can never beat that feeling of how good your 17 or 18inch rims look compared to a little weight.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ted:
            Is it even 1/10th of a second off? Going by the 100lb lost 1/10th gained formula, i know the difference between 16s vs. 17s vs. 18s can't be 100lbs more.<hr></blockquote>

That may be true for dead weight (stuff that doesn't move, like the carpet or hood or other things), but rotating mass acts much differently. Also, I feel like my stock rims are less likely to be stolen than a set of 17's or 18's, and I know my car looks better with stocks than on blocks :D .

[ July 24, 2003: Message edited by: Rob@USC ]</p>
            <b>2002 Pewter v6 Camaro</b><br />T-tops, Auto, stock GFX<br />mods: SSRA, Whisper lid, K&N filter, Borla cat-back, Pioneer HU, RF 6.5\" speakers, billet grill, clear corners, red tubing under hood, black CAMARO fill-in\'s, QTEC, GM power antenna, fan switch

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rob@USC:

That may be true for dead weight (stuff that doesn't move, like the carpet or hood or other things), but rotating mass acts much differently. Also, I feel like my stock rims are less likely to be stolen than a set of 17's or 18's, and I know my car looks better with stocks than on blocks :D .

[ July 24, 2003: Message edited by: Rob@USC ]
              <hr></blockquote>

wheel locks....but yes you are right about rotating mass...if you want a light rim look into some drag lites, I think they're 16", all aluminum....the difference in a few pounds on a standing still rim is a big difference when its going 70 mph...all the weight changes quickly

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
              05' CTS-V
              00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                New Site Hosting Issues
                by FirebirdGT
                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                1 week ago
              • LETZRIDE
                New Owner!
                by LETZRIDE
                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                4 weeks ago
              • LETZRIDE
                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X