making textured surfaces smooth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making textured surfaces smooth

What would be the best way to make the textured surfaces inside my Camaro smooth?
    I was thinking about either sanding them down or getting some bondo or fiberglass resin and putting a thin layer over all of it and just 'filling' in the texture.
    What do you guys think? I have already painted a lot of the plastic parts in my car red, and it looks sweet, but I want to go one step further, just be a little bit more unique ;)
    After I got it all smooth, I would either paint it myself or have it painted by a professional.

Thanks for the reply's [img]graemlins/toto.gif[/img]
    Nick<br /><br />1996 White RS

which part are you trying to get smooth? I would think if its plastic ineterior parts it would be better to find some fine grit sand paper and carefully sand them down. I dont like the bondo Idea.

Comment

Yeah, the more I thought about it, the more I didn’t like that bondo idea either. I haven't decided on what parts I want to do or even redo. I was thinking about smoothing out the rear panels where the little sub is and the panels right next to the rear seats (which are no longer present [img]smile.gif[/img] ), the kick panels next to the front seats, the things that are behind the door handles, the little frames that hold the vents, and just some other stuff like under the dash…hard to explain, I would have to take some time to look at is because I don't want to go over board and make it look stupid.

What I really need is something that will flex with the panel, those are not really all that rigid to begin with and sanding them down won't really help at all. I want to keep the panels as light as possible too. So adding bondo or even resin to the panels isn’t exactly the greatest idea.

Another idea that I had was making templates of the panels and fabricating them out of something that is lighter such as carbon fiber but ruled out that idea because of the price.

But I guess if I want that custom look that I will have to add some weight huh? Nothing comes without a price. One other thing, I can’t decide on what color to paint the parts. My car is a beautiful white RS and maybe a combination of both white and red, or just red.

Thanks,
      Nick<br /><br />1996 White RS

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X