Painting interior - Question about primer - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painting interior - Question about primer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting interior - Question about primer

Hey guys,

I've begun to redo my interior. I've gotten all the sanding done and am ready to apply primer. My problem is I'm using a fabricated center panel that was previously painted red and then grey over top, I've almost sanded off all of the grey but the red will not come off.

If I use a CLEAR primer on the red panel, and on the regular plastic sanded panels, will the silver paint im using be a different color on the panel that was red? I plan on using 4 coats of primer, 5 coats paint, and 4 clear coat.

this is the primer I'd like to use: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/adhesion.html followed by dupli silver and dupli clear coat.

Any help would be gladly appreciated, thanks for your time.

We just started stocking a new product at wal-mart. Its a plastic primer, we carry it in the auto section with the paints.
    Never seen it before, I would check that out. Rick

Comment

primer is only used for painting metal surfaces.

the primer acually akes the surface rough, so the paint adhered to it.

You dont really need to primer plastic parts

Also, if you are still going to primer it, 4 coats is completly overkill, i would say 1 coat at best, 2 coats MAX

Comment

im kinda confused on what your doing, how wont the red come off? did you try lower grit paper?

as for not useing primer, i did on my. i did a few coats of primer, sanded, 2 more coats the sanded. then start on the color, then clear, then i hand buffed and waxed it.
        1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

crashtest, the primr i linked is specifically for auto plastic as well, and it's made by the same company that makes the paint and clear coat im using so im going to stivk with that, but thanks for the suggestion.

loser, I don't know why the red wont come of, the **** is just caked on there really well, I'm using a 220 grit sandpaper! I've accepted the fact that it's not coming off.

Anyone else?

Comment

paint thiner? try nail polish remover.
            1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

first off, the product u posted isnt a primer, its an adhesive promotor, basical it helps paint stick to plastics, etc.

u can PRIMER anything, not just metal. most primers are either grey, white, or black

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/primer.html there is some info for u on primer, any of them will really work.

if ur not gonna color match ur paint to a specific color,krylon makes great paint for the interior plastic pieces
              http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...roduct_details
              *1997 Camaro v6 3.8*<br />President of NorCal Sinister Six

Comment

yes, prime it...You should prime it, sand it, prime it, sand it, etc...Until the textured plastic becomes smooth...then color it 3-4 times, then clear it 2-3 times. Don't prime vents though....It will all come out the same color.
                #1:1999 pewter metallic y87 rs A4 camaro.check out the pics on the link below<br />#2:Bright red 1979 Pontiac Trans Am. Brand new 400 cubic inch Pontiac Motor. All work done by me, except the engine work.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216133</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                  New Site Hosting Issues
                  by FirebirdGT
                  All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                  1 week ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  New Owner!
                  by LETZRIDE
                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                  3 weeks ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                  02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X