Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doh, i messed up!

ok, here is the deal... couple things..

i scraped something with the front corner of my car .. some black stuff rubbed off and i couldnt get it off with just wiping.. i was at work and all i had available there was dish soap.. and i'm too stupid and impatient to wait till i get home.. so i use this dish soap to clean this black stuff off and it ever so slightly faded my paint color.. DOH... ok.. so what can i do with that? do i need to take it to a pro?

stupid thing #2

i backed into my garage.. this was still like at most a week after i had gotten my car.. and you know how it is, you have to get used to the dimensions of the car, .. you know...

well i cought a ladder hangin on the wall with my back fender right above and a little behind the wheel well and made a nice deep gash about six inches long...

i figure.. i can fix this **** myself.. so i go to pep boys.. and afer a little research find the right color .. and i buy a tiny little touch up bottle where the cap has a little brush.. i also buy the same type of bottle of clear coat

so i'm fillin this scratch.. and i set the bottle paint on top of the car.. on the far edge of the spoiler... thing is i forget to cap it.. dont remember how but somehow the bottle tips over and drips paint most of the way down the side of the rear fender... panicking i grab a towel to atempt to wipe it up, but i end up spreading it around more than anything.... frusterated and pissed at myself i give up and just leave it..

now that its dry... it doesnt look TOO bad.. you really cant see it unless you look at it under certain lighting and from a certain angle

i havent done anything to it .. i havent even opened the bottle of clear coat... i have no idea what i'm doing, but i thought i could figure it out and fix that scratch on my own.. of course i didnt plan to spill the paint

so what do i have to do to make my car lookin good again? you think its fixable by an amateur or do i need to bring it in for a pro to take care of?.. which i'd assume would be quite expensive..

and please no need to tell me how stupid i am, i know that much.. but hey.. one way to learn is to make mistakes
    2000 Flame Red Camaro T-Top, 3800 Series II V6, A4<br />Whisper Air lid, K&N Filter, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Acquired but not installed: Wings West \"W\" Type 4pc Ground Effects Kit

sorry, but it hurt reading this post! Be more careful :D

Originally posted by Thontor:
    i scraped something with the front corner of my car .. some black stuff rubbed off and i couldnt get it off with just wiping.. i was at work and all i had available there was dish soap.. and i'm too stupid and impatient to wait till i get home.. so i use this dish soap to clean this black stuff off and it ever so slightly faded my paint color
    dish soap could not have faded your paint--if it were normal dawn type dish soap, it will take off your wax, but it should not fade your paint. maybe you threw a more heavy chemical on there by mistake? just try waxing it up. if that doesnt work, i dunno, id have to see it. maybe you roughed the paint up when you ran into whatever you did.

Originally posted by Thontor:
    well i cought a ladder hangin on the wall with my back fender right above and a little behind the wheel well and made a nice deep gash about six inches long...

i figure.. i can fix this **** myself.. so i go to pep boys.. and afer a little research find the right color .. and i buy a tiny little touch up bottle where the cap has a little brush.. i also buy the same type of bottle of clear coat

so i'm fillin this scratch.. and i set the bottle paint on top of the car.. on the far edge of the spoiler... thing is i forget to cap it.. dont remember how but somehow the bottle tips over and drips paint most of the way down the side of the rear fender... panicking i grab a towel to atempt to wipe it up, but i end up spreading it around more than anything.... frusterated and pissed at myself i give up and just leave it..

now that its dry... it doesnt look TOO bad.. you really cant see it unless you look at it under certain lighting and from a certain angle

i havent done anything to it .. i havent even opened the bottle of clear coat... i have no idea what i'm doing, but i thought i could figure it out and fix that scratch on my own.. of course i didnt plan to spill the paint
    the key with the scratch is patience. to do it right will take several days. first you need to clean the area of the scratch really well down to the metal. then put down the paint as even as you can. let it dry for a day. then sand it down as smooth as you can with some 1500 grit paper. clean the area. then put down some clear coat. Wait a day and sand it lightly to smooth it out. rubbing compount and then way it. of course if the scratch isnt that noticable then just paint it over lightly once and dont worry about it. however yours sounds pretty nasty. also, for the paint you spilled on it... im not really sure what to do about that. the paint is dried on there on top of the clear coat. I could only make guesses as to what to do. i would guess maybe you could buff it off. take it to some body shop guys and tell them what you did. they will probably tell you what would work and what wouldnt. also, just ask them how much it would cost to fix/touch everything up. get several quotes actually. good luck man. AND BE MORE CAREFUL! [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img]

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X