What are you putting on your tires??? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you putting on your tires???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you putting on your tires???

I'm just wondering what you guys use on your tires. I have tried this new stuff called Tire Jet and it's more of an aresol rather than your regular spray on. So far it's been better than gels as well.....just wanna know!
    Black Majic Spray ons
    13.64%
    Black Majic Gels
    4.55%
    Zaino Gels
    4.55%
    Zaino Spray ons
    77.27%
    Other
    0.00%
    -235/4517 Chrome Mondera Solaris<br />-Hornet remote start-keyless entry<br />-Pioneer 8400/CD/MP3<br />-2 Audiobahn 10\'s in custom box<br />-Flowmaster exhaust-SLP CAI-*180<br /><br />Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity....Tony from \"Snatch\"

You guys can say whatever you want, but I learned this trick from a car detailer that runs a very big business and has been doing it for years. Use motor oil to get that nice black look. It works great. It lasts just as long, if not longer than anything you buy at the stores, and it looks really nice. The oil actually gets into the rubber and helps keep it shiney. When I got my last set of tires from tirerack, they had a brown color to the sidewall from the box. It pulled the brown out and made them nice and black. It works really nice.
    1996 Camaro w/ Y87 package. T-Tops, purple, loaded. Custom painted salad-shooters with Mirage paint.<br /><br />(It\'s my girlfriends car!)

Comment

I've heard of the using motor oil trick too, got it from a pro. car detailer in cali. I've been thinking about trying it myself. I think I will tomorrow since I just dug my car out of storage today and washed it [img]graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]
      98 White T-Top Firebird<br />w/ the crome 5 star rims<br />FRA, Smoothed stock lid,<br />Dynomax Super Turbo Exhaust<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=346111\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=346111</a>

Comment

ok so what are we talkin 10w-50 5w-30...synthetic, semisynthetic, natural, used, new...lets hear it...cause your damn sure im not using 5$ a quart oil on my damn tires

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
        05' CTS-V
        00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

nikon, I tend to use what is left over when I use 4.5 quarts, but I wouldn't use $5 oil either. I don't know if synthetic would have the same results. I know I use 10W30 and it works well. If you are spending money on expensive oil for your ride then I would suggest finding the cheapest dollar brand oil at Wal-Mart and giving that a try. I have been wanting to compare the different types of oil to see what kind of different results I get, using everything from 5w20 up to 90W80 gear oil and everything inbetween. I'm not really sure what the difference would be.
          1996 Camaro w/ Y87 package. T-Tops, purple, loaded. Custom painted salad-shooters with Mirage paint.<br /><br />(It\'s my girlfriends car!)

Comment

use regular patrolium based oil, not synthetic. I would imagine clean oil would be better, but never tried dirty. I'm also thinking lighter weight oil will soak in better than heavier oil. I know the first couple of times you apply it it doesn't last long, but once the tire absorbs it, it is supposed to last fairly long. Guess it's time to try some different oils and see what it does
            98 White T-Top Firebird<br />w/ the crome 5 star rims<br />FRA, Smoothed stock lid,<br />Dynomax Super Turbo Exhaust<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=346111\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=346111</a>

Comment

Oil? That sounds like it is wild enough to work. Every so often I pull up next to a car that has tires that outshine my tires by FAR!!! I knew it was something hidden, I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!!!!! It's raining pimps and ho#s right now here, but when it stops, I'm trying it
              -235/4517 Chrome Mondera Solaris<br />-Hornet remote start-keyless entry<br />-Pioneer 8400/CD/MP3<br />-2 Audiobahn 10\'s in custom box<br />-Flowmaster exhaust-SLP CAI-*180<br /><br />Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity....Tony from \"Snatch\"

Comment

i have heard that sometimes the oil trick actually dries out the rubber in your tires, messing them up.
                Eclipse 8443, CDT ES-620s in doors (Clarion APX401.2), IEK, CDT 6X in rear(HU), Image Dynamics ID10v.3D.4 in stealthbox(Clarion DPX1001.2)<br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/larryfirebird33\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.sounddomain.com/id/larryfirebird33</a><br />borla cat-back, FTRA, whisper lid

Comment

talk to a couple of detailers at work and found out that the oil trick it true...and said that any kind of burnt out old oil will work just fine...so I guess I'll give it a shot....and also suggested using wood polish on my chrome rims....supposedly works wonders

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
                  05' CTS-V
                  00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

I just did the oil on my tires today, used new 10W-30. I applied it using an old sock. Holy **** did it make those things shine. I found it soaked up after about 30 mins and left dull spots, so I re-applied. Looks like I might have to do it like 4 or so times, and then it should stay nice and black. We'll see how long it lasts once I get it all coverd eavenly.

oh yeah, I'm not sure about it drying out the tires, I would think the oposite. I also think this might help prevent dry-rot, which the tires on my truck have BAD!!!

Comment

Oh lord, I just saw my wife finish reading this thread and she ran out the door screaming "I need oil, I need oil"
                      She is like obsessive compulsive over her car looking clean. She has been searching for the Holy Grail to keeping tires looking black and shinny.
                      Thanks
                      New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
                      RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
                      crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
                      The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

I would imagine that used oil would do ok as well. The majority of the reason for changing oil is contamination, not deterioration. The oil is still in good shape when you change it, it just has a lot of contaminants in it. It may take some more of it to get shine, but I would imagine it would work. I use only a few ounces when I do my tires, so I see no problem using up a small portion of an already open container of 10W30. And it is a lot cleaner than fighting with old oil and a rag, but that is just my 2¢ Glad to see that I started something good. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

how would using oil dry out your tires???
                          1994 white Firebird M5<br />Flowmasters, CAI, 3.73s, LSD, coated pacesetters, eibach pro-kit, bilsteins, hurst shifter, JVC stereo, 18\" C5 vette wheels, Kuhmo Ecsta ASX rubber<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/744299\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/744299</a> <br /><br />Coming Soon: Turbo!

Comment

He is not the only one who has heard of the oil drying out rubber, but it's a fact that it dries out rubber. It's a temporary thing that some dealer uses to sell their car, because they figure once it's sold, it's sold and no one would use oil on it again. The reason why I've heard of it in the first place is because some peeps want to oil their radiator hoses, etc., and someone spoke out against it. It was well over 10 yrs ago since I've heard this,,,and I don't feel like searching to prove it, as I am tired as muhful L right now. I mean, why not sell tire "oil" for that ultimate shine?? Just remember, if it seems too good to be true...
                            1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

Eagle one Spray ---Awesome shine for about a day or two

Meguires Tire Gel- Great for about a week.
                              Cardomain

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X