Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know why...

They don't make hoods out of plastic?
    2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Heat would melt them. They do make them out of fiberglass though.
    2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

Also, fiberglass is much stronger than plastic as far as bending and flexing goes.

~Brian
      NEW 2002 Onyx Black SS Camaro<br />M6, leather, T-tops, Hurst shifter<p>sold: 1999 Pewter V6 A4 Camaro

Comment

I'm sure there is a plastic that can absorb and dissapate the heat coming off an engine, properly.

I'd think maybe some stronger urethane or something... then perhaps line it with a heat absorbing material.

SO I take it no one really knows why?

Fiberglass is some of the crappiest material ever. Very hard to work with and very hard to make it come out properly. It is also prone to absorbing heat and flexing - shrinking-expanding....

EVery fiberglass hood I've owned has been absoloute SH!T
        2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> SO I take it no one really knows why? <hr></blockquote>

Maybe because it would look sh*tty? ;)
          \'93 3.4L Camaro A4<br />*Some fat P245/50R16 tires<br />*K&N FIPK<br />*Taylor 8mm Spiro Pro\'s<br />*Borla catback<br /><a href=\"http://www.members.cox.net/constantine/Project%20Royalty.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Royal Webpage</a>

Comment

Not too sure, but also wouldn't the paint and clear coat ruin/desolve the plastic. Like spray paint and thinner does? To me the chemical reaction doesn't seem like it would work, but like someone already said, the heat would warp the entire hood.

Jason
            \'97 Camaro 30th Anniv<br />3.8L 3800 Series II V6<br />Flowmaster Exaust, K&N FIPK

Comment

Ugh.

You know your front fascia? That's plastic - more specifically, urethane, but nonetheless.

A lot of cars are made with plastic pieces in place of sheet metal on the body, and there is no problem with the paint.

I seriously doubt paint is not the issue but I appreciate the comment.

As for warping, I know cheap plastic would, however, we have heat absosorbant materials that could help.

Also - most engine covers are plastic. I know they aren't urethane, but it's plastic sitting right on top of the engine (over intake manifold) and that doesn't melt.

There has got to be a better reason.

Comment

Metal and fiberglass are stronger. Plastic wouldn't stand up against the wind force forever. Yes your front is made out of plastic but it isn't near as big as a hood or flat. THere for in can resist more force. The heat also will cause a problem because of the size.
                2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X