Hairline scratch on roof of car, from car wash. :-( - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hairline scratch on roof of car, from car wash. :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hairline scratch on roof of car, from car wash. :-(

Welp, I went to one of those soft cloth car washes, as I usually do about every two weeks. Welp, this time at the end of the car wash I heard a bad screech on the roof of my car. I've heard it maybe once before and nothing ever happened. Welp, I went out town and to my friends house etc. etc. Then I headed home but, first had to stop at Wally World. Well, when I came back to my car to unlock the driver side door, I noticed a thin white line going from the front of the roof to the back. I was like what the %@#$. :mad: I tried to use my finger to rub over it to see if would go away, nope. So, I hurried home and got a cloth rag, and some water. I rubbed and rubbed, and some of the thin white line went away, but it's still there. I'm guessing it's a hairline scratch. :( I'm guessing the only reason I did not see it early tonight was because I was never in really bright light. The only reason I seen it at Wally World was because of all the lights I guess. As for how bad the scratch is, well, I could not see it when looking at the Camaro from far away, or even close up on other sides of the car. The only way I could see it was to get right at the driver side door like I was opening it or around the driver side door. So, it's not to bad I don't guess, but I love my car, and just knowing it's there kills me. :( So, my question is, how do you get rid of a hairline scratch. Would a good wax take it away, because there is no way I'm going to be able to touch this up with touch up paint. Please help, need some info, please. :(

[ November 10, 2002: Message edited by: Guardiannknight ]</p>
    2000 V6 Camaro(bought brand new)
    5 speed
    Project: Unreal
    Several Mods..:naughty:plus Nitrous=WEEeee:banana:

2007 Suzuki GS500F :D

Daily driver
    2007 Chevy Aveo 5
    Mods K&N air filter:excited:
    www.guardiansworlds.com

Go to the paint section of autozone or walmart (car paint section) -- other places may have it but I dunno which.

Grab 3m finish restorer, blue c4 vette on the front.

It is a light polish. Weak enough that your not going to hurt anything w/ a good long buffing.

Buff & buff & buff. Start on a very small portion of the line & buff to see if it will work. Give it some time, It has taken some pretty rough spots in my clearcoat out, but it takes several applications (6 on one! But was a small spot, so I didn't mind)

Good luck!
    2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info. Will this stuff take off my wax and clearcoat that is around the scratched area?? It won't hurt the paint I'm guessing since you said it was pretty light stuff. I'll have to try it. Thanks again. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
      5 speed

Daily driver
      2007 Chevy Aveo 5
      www.guardiansworlds.com

Comment

Did the scratch go through the paint to the body below? Is that why it looks white? If it went through the paint, there is no reason to use a scratch remover to fix it, because it won't. I would verify how deep the scratch is before you start trying to fix it with rubbing compounds.

Comment

Nevvver use car washes it's so bad for your finish :(
          AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by xjarayax:
            Nevvver use car washes it's so bad for your finish :( <hr></blockquote>

Agree, but that 3m stuff should get it buffed out!
            <a href=\"http://www.saintsworth.com/z06\" target=\"_blank\">\'02 Corvette Z06</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Backfire:
              Did the scratch go through the paint to the body below? Is that why it looks white? If it went through the paint, there is no reason to use a scratch remover to fix it, because it won't. I would verify how deep the scratch is before you start trying to fix it with rubbing compounds.<hr></blockquote>

I don't think it went through the paint. When you rub over it with your finger or your finger nail you can not feel it. Well, there is a place here and there you can barley feel the scratch. I figured if it had scratched into the paint I would be able to feel the scratch with no problem. Also, if it was a deep scratch, I think I would be able to see the scratch from looking at the car in different directions other than having to get close to the driver side door to see it. I hope. Thanks for the info guys. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
              5 speed

Daily driver
              2007 Chevy Aveo 5
              www.guardiansworlds.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse