so heres my predicament...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so heres my predicament...

I've got this now really lightweight motor (really cant wait to see how much faster ill be on the dragstrip from the weight reduction).

the motor is SOOO lightweight compared to the old one, that the car now sits LEVEL. thats right boys and girls, the "rake" in the profile of the car is gone!

:( so how do i get it back? lower just the front of the car? i considered taking the car to a mechanic/machine shop and asking them to cut a coil or two off of the front springs... how bad would this be? (have heard negative things about cutting springs)

any opinions, ideas, comments?

know where i might be able to get a set of lowering springs (i wouldnt be adverse to lowering the whole car) that is like 1.5 in the front and 1 in the back? heheh..

anyway,
    thanks for anything in advance.

-R

hybrid - \'\'hI-br&d - The offspring of a cross between species.
    Co-Founder West Coast F-Bodies
    West Coast F-Bodies Car Club - WCFB Message Board

You could try getting some droped spindles for the front, and leave the rear at it's stock height. ;)

How did you get your engine that light? :D
    Thanks, <br />JAM<p>02 Firebird GT

Comment

read the mods list in my sig ;)

Comment

Yeah, a set of drop springs would help level out the suspension. Most drop spring kits lower the front more than the back (with trucks it's the other way), which would help get the skinny/fatty stance.

Eibach is a company known for their springs, so i'd start looking there.
        16 years old with no car and big dreams...

Comment

So you front end lost that much weight from alum heads?

Comment

yes. its that much lighter. thanks CartmanSS..ill talk to them and see what i can figure out.

edit: o yea, btw, the engine is so light - i had a friend over to help me move it (thinking i needed help). I had it out on the grass and was painting it (it was bolted to a stand) -- when I got done, I was like, "ok now pick up that end, and i'll do this one.." - he moved it a little, said, "nah...", pulled it to the enge of the grass, picked up the stand a few inches and rested it on the driveway. Needless to say I was kinda surprised. Also made note I need to get back to the gym ;) -- In addition to that, when the engine was mounted by itself in the bay, i could grab the intake manifold, and pull the entire engine forward with very little effort.

its VERY light. and should help the car move down the track faster [img]smile.gif[/img] we'll see how fast.

-R

[ November 18, 2002: Message edited by: Russell ]</p>

Comment

Where did you get the heads at?

Do you think you will go with drop spindles, or lowering coils?

Comment

heads = ebay. but i guarantee you its a lot more work than you think. there is a lot more that needs to be changed than just the heads.

predicament = not sure yet. gotta do more research. ill take photos of the car once it gets on level ground so ppl can see what im talkin bout.

-R

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X