Swirl Marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swirl Marks

well my paint is starting to get some swirl marks and i really dont like it..i have 20K on the car and its really not that bad yet except for some places on the hood...

any body have any "miracle" products that can be bought at walmart or the automotive places

i dont want to order over the net for such a small purchase..

thanks

The only way to remove swirl marks is by using an abrasive, such as 3M Scratch and Swirl Remover (part # 39009).
    Or, you could do the smart thing (ordering over the net) and get Zaino (Z5 specifically).
    <b>« Red <i><a href=\"http://sandman.v8tec.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a></i> »</b>

Comment

Zaino recommended me use 3m's product first actually

Comment

Swirl mark 'treatment' depends on the condition of the paint. Mine was 4 years old and not taken care of, so I needed to use an abrasive that thins out the clearcoat so I could have a better basis to start my polishing.
        A relatively new car, such as your 2000, likely will not need it, unless you have not taken care of it at all.
        So, like I said, absolutely nothing will remove swirl marks except an abrasive.
        The silicone in ALL waxes is what is the "active" part of it, and it just is a quick fix until the silicones come off - usually when it sits in the sun for an hour or it rains. Waxing does not last long at all because of low durability.
        Synthetic polishes (IE Zaino, there are more) will help to make them to where you can't see it, due to the layering effects. You'll also not have to worry about the wax coming off due to long lasting life - no melting temperatures or washing off in the rain, since they have no silicones.
        <b>« Red <i><a href=\"http://sandman.v8tec.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a></i> »</b>

Comment

ok i gueess im going to go up to walmart and get either the 3M or the meguiars scrath remover stuff

any tips on application..dont want to make them worse ;)

:D

Comment

buy the 3M rubbing compound and an electric buffer. you can get the buffer for probaby less than $20. that should do it.

Comment

I did the 3M #39009 by hand, and you can only get it at Napa (as far as I know, that's the only place I could find it).
              Doing it by buffer is suggested, but if you don't know how to use a buffer, doing it by hand is fine.
              Make sure you don't plan on using a good towel to apply 3M, or if you use a buffer bonnet don't plan on using it again.

Comment

You should try to find the source of your swirls as well. It wouldn't do much good to clean them up and then make some more the first time you wash it. What kind of towels/wash mitts are you using? What other products do you use?

Comment

yeah good point..i use some wash mitt..its good quality..i dont remember the name brand though..about 6 bucks i think.. i dry the car with the absorber and towel it off with cotton towels where needed.. wax wise i use Meguiars gold class and in between waxes i use eagle 1 spray wax stuff that comes in the red bottle and then the quick detailer spray with a cloth to get off bird **** and other road grime.. i use the california duster to get the dust off also..

i think the problem is the rags and clothes i use to use were not high quality and may have helped the swirls develop..i now use the good towels and hopefully it will make a difference

Jeff W

Comment

Do you know what brand/model the towels are? I ask just to make sure that you didn't just go by a towel's label which may have said 100% cotton. Some say it and are not really 1oo% You could also do the burn test. Take a few strands of the towel or wash mitt and light them. If it burns without a black smoke, and leaves a light gray ash, then it is probably cotton. But if you see black smoke, and it leaves some residue, it may be a blend with polyester which will leave swirls.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by NBMA4V6:
                      i use the california duster to get the dust off also..

Jeff W
                      <hr></blockquote>

How long have you used the California Duster? I just got one and, if I remember correctly, it says that the first few uses of it can leave some swirl marks (from the wax on it). But these swirl marks should come off pretty easily. just a thought.
                      1998 3.8 Camaro A4, <br />B&B Triflow CatBack,Whisper Lid, <br />1987 s10 Blazer 350 V8 shift kit,

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X