How do I remove tar???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I remove tar???

I got a hella of alot of tar on my truck, fresh from road paving. It's throught the fenders, the doors and well all in the bottom of the truck (it's white :( ) Anyone have any suggestions or stuff you can recommend to remove this crap. Any ideas or suggestions would really be appreciated. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks guys

Niño
    ---Niño---<br /><i>95\' silver 5 spd</i>

"Tar & Bug Remover" sold at most auto stores. It's in a small black and white can with a red lid. Works great!! After you get the tar off with the remover, it's a good idea to wash-n-wax the car again. Especially where you used the remover because that stuff WILL remove the wax. "Goof Off" works well too.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyman:
      "Tar & Bug Remover" sold at most auto stores. It's in a small black and white can with a red lid. Works great!!
      Does it have a lil' bug on it? If it does I used it already, two cans, didn't seem to work too well. Im debating using a small amoung of gas and rub it off but I think it will thin the paint.

Thanks though

Comment

Clay Bar
        www.turbov6camaro.com
        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

i used WD-40 to get rid of some tar on my car.

Comment

Lighter fluid.. just make sure to remove it all then hit it with a windex.
            New:04 GMC Sierra 1500 RCLB 4x4 5.3 GU80 3.73\'s.<br />Truck pics<br />Mods<br />Go fast: Panel K&N filter and soon SS truck catback.<br />Appearance: Stull Billet grill,Weston Chrome step tubes,Rhino Chrome hitch step,ARE painted fiberglass cover,Silver star lighting.

Comment

i scraped it off my car with a blastic puddy knife and then used a sponge and soap to clean the rest off
              2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by CAMAROWIDBASS:
                i used WD-40 to get rid of some tar on my car.
                Yep, WD40 is where it's at! Gets rid of all types of road debris that flew up the fenders [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img] be sure to wash and wax after u finish. Next time it will come off easy.
                1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

simple green and scrubbing will get it off.
                  2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

I had tried WD-40 on mine previosly to get off tar.... didn't really work you guys.

I did the clay bar yesterday and it got that tar off like a charm. I highly recommend a clay bar over everything else.
                    Black 1997 Camaro RS<br />Mods: Headlight, Fog Lamp, Blinker, and Tail Light Blackouts<br />35% Tint Window Armor (www.windowarmorusa.com)<br />Upcoming: Replace failing driver\'s window motor and Black Power Antenna<br /> <a href=\"http://members.ca

Comment

Thanks guys, I tried the WD-40 and it worked with some of the tar then it kinda gave up. Im iffy about the lighter fluid. Tommorrow I'll go buy either a claybar or simple green (whichever i find first) at autozone or pepboys.

Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]

Niño

Comment

I heard goo gone works pretty good. Try that.

Comment

claybar works, anykind of solvent works, degreasers work

wd40 and lighterfluid and plastic puddy knifes, not saying none of this works but i'd say only as a last resort and use at your own will with extreme caution.

Comment

GOO GONE...????
                            99 camaro... WingsWest body kit, Billet grill, EBC Green Stuff break pads, tint\'s all the way around, magnaflow exhaust, ram air, Rebuilt trans, 3300 stall, and RS 3 alarm. FFF kit! <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/452573\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/452573</a>

Comment

It's a citrus-based gunk remover. I used it on my windows to get the dealer's sticker junk off, and on my rear bumper to remove the sticky from the dealer's decal...

Didn't seem to dull the paint or anything. I didn't use all that much and I washed it off with water promptly after, but I don't THINK it will hurt it...
                              Black 1997 Camaro RS<br />Mods: Headlight, Fog Lamp, Blinker, and Tail Light Blackouts<br />35% Tint Window Armor (www.windowarmorusa.com)<br />Upcoming: Replace failing driver\'s window motor and Black Power Antenna<br /> <a href=\"http://members.ca

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X