Rims Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rims Question

What can i use to strip my silver painted rims?
    i want to strip the paint out so i can polish them. Thanx for any help.
    ~S87 Black 99 Firebird~

Can of aircraft stripper? you can get it at pepboys. I was always advised to scrape it off but i've known a few people to just wash it off. Whatever works.

Comment

Is that the same thing as the Car Body Paint Striper? Because i used that and it didn't work.
      It cleaned the hell out of it though!They look better than when they were new, but i still want to strip them and polish.I'll try that Aircraft Paint Striper thing, hope it works. thanx for the info.
      ~S87 Black 99 Firebird~

Comment

Thats the strongest stuff. I stripped a few plane wheels with that, but they were painted white, it took that **** right off, lol. If that doesn't work, might try using some MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) It might take some small spots off, i wouldn't try to do the whole thing with it though. If you do get MEK, be safe around it. Wear gas resistant gloves you don't want to get it on you, a mask, and dispose of it properly. One drop can polute thousands of gallons of water it can also give you liver damage. If all else fails i know it'd be hard to find someone with one but maybee glass bead it?

Comment

Aircraft stripper is EXTREMELY dangerous!!! Be very careful with it!!! Also a tip from some that just had there wheels polished.

Just strip what you want polished. Tape up the backsides and anything else you don't want to try and polish. You can never get the same type of coating those wheels get from the factory after you remove all the paint. Also, be prepared for some work on polishing them. I've seen the process and it is NOT EASY!! After care can be a pain too!! I know, I'm living it :D

Steve
          FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
          Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
          Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ted:
            Thats the strongest stuff. I stripped a few plane wheels with that, but they were painted white, it took that **** right off, lol. If that doesn't work, might try using some MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) It might take some small spots off, i wouldn't try to do the whole thing with it though. If you do get MEK, be safe around it. Wear gas resistant gloves you don't want to get it on you, a mask, and dispose of it properly. One drop can polute thousands of gallons of water it can also give you liver damage. If all else fails i know it'd be hard to find someone with one but maybee glass bead it?<hr></blockquote>

Yeah! MEK is the best stuff.I work in aviation as well, but that is to hard to find now days i'll see what i can do to get my rims done.Thanx
            ~S87 Black 99 Firebird~

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X