Another T-top conversion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another T-top conversion question

The one thing my camaro doesn't have, that I really want, is T-tops. Until Mustangeater posted his t-top conversion post, I was afraid to do the mod myself (fear that I would screw up the car). I decided to ask a local body shop to do it for me now since I do not have the time or space. The body shop actually told me not to do it because it will mess up the car!!! They claim if I put the t-tops in the following will happen to the car:

1. The doors will sag?
    2. The frame will become more fragile, subjecting it to "twisting"!!

What the Hell??? I personally never heard of doors saging, and as for the frame, don't they make sub-frame connectors for a purpose?? Anyone have any insight on what in the hell this body shop is talking about? Should I just blow it off and do the damn mod?? [img]graemlins/slap.gif[/img]

do the damn mod. all that mechanic i good for is changing oil......if that :rolleyes: i plan on doing the mod myself. i recommend finding the time and space. "mechanics" :rolleyes: r going to be too scared and over charge. you running bigger risk of some "mechanic" messing up your car than you. ;)
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

1993+ f-bodys are made for t-tops.

the cars that don't have them, simply have a small piece of sheetmetal tack welded in place.

if it was structure...it would be a lot more securely welded.

Ryan
      1998 Ws6 Ta M6 #370 Bright Red<br />Custom \"NX\" style switch panels $35<br />Plug in fan switches $50 <br />SLP lid, Pro 5.0, Corsa, Custom Fan switch<br />....vortech waiting to be installed.

Comment

i've checked into doing this mod so many times. EVERY mechanic and body shop person says that also, that u need a whole new roof from a car that had t-tops and take your roof off, weld the whole new roof on. i try to explain to them that no, that the cars were already made for t-tops but they always say 'no, itll mess up your frame'. and then they quote a ridiculous price. i am really planning on doing the mod this summer. back when i was putting on a 5" tach on the car, i was also told by the 'experts' at all the different stores that it couldnt' be done on a v6, that i would need special connectors to make it work, that i should return it and get my money back. all said and done, i finally tried it on my own and it was fairly easy, no problems at all.

Comment

like a side "mechanics" :rolleyes:
          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

well mechanics and autobody technicians are two different things. I doubt rarely that a bodyshop does any t-top conversions. They probably are only good for insurance claim works, and the custom shops are only good for bodykits and hoods and stuff. We do most of the custom work around here and we never got anything in like that before. Anyway, point being. I don't see what would cause the frame to twist, lol. That is the funniest thing I have ever heard. Theoretically, maybee it is a possibility that the structural integrity of the car would be a little weaker, but nothing that will cause what they are saying, especially the doors saging. It might cause the a-pillar to be a little weaker, but that won't cause the doors to sag. I just think they're not sure what they're talking about, or they just don't want to do it so they feed you a bunch of bull****. Even if you were worried about all of the above, you could get subframe connectors and all that. But I don't think it is necessary at all. Look at all the other t-top conversions. And cars with t-tops, they don't have anything extra then our cars for the support of t-tops.

Comment

Mechanics are dumb, I took my gtp in too get the ac check and the dumb guy was like "hehe why would you supercharge that, what did it go from 19's to 17's, whoopie. you shoulda bought a v8 car" I unhooked his gauges, complained to his manager and left.
              Dont call me chief.<br /><br />2001 Camaro Convertible Rs Replica<br />1991 Acura Legend

Comment

Originally posted by 94camaro25:
                They claim if I put the t-tops in the following will happen to the car:

1. The doors will sag?
                2. The frame will become more fragile, subjecting it to "twisting"!!

ask your mechanic the following questions...

what the f**k is this?

and this...

could those be the t-top bracket mounts?

and what are those little things in the center beam? could those be holes that were already drilled for the T-Top center bar?

tell your mechanic that my no-bodywork experience havin' azz did this in a weekend and to get on my nuts cuz i own that beyotch!

Comment

Okay, Okay, Okay.....I guess I'll find the damn time and do it myself. I just wanted them done like right now, but I guess I could wait a bit. I thought the mechanics were trying to blow smoke up my exhaust!!! That we're messing up the game for me when they starting talking about door saging. Thanks alot guys. [img]graemlins/banana.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X