Help with Replacing dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Replacing dash

As many of you know the top dash area nearest to the windshield at times will crack due to intense heat [img]tongue.gif[/img] . Well mine unfortunately was crack when the first owner screwed in a big *** tachometer on to that part of the dash, My question is can i replace that part without taking the whole dash apart.A guy at the shop told me he would do it for 500 and i said he was nuts cause i can take like 70% of the dash off myself. Thanks.
    LT1 Swap,383 Stroker kit<br />All black and mean ;)

It is easy if you have T-tops and harder if not. With t-tops, the pillar covers can be easily removed, thus allowing easy removal of the dash cover.

Do you have T tops?
    I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
    CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Yes, i do. I know there are like some pins holding it down because i cant seem to pull 2 piece out that is nearest to the windshield

Comment

Here is a cut and paste from a post I made at www.ls1.com (if you want to see the entire thread, go to www.ls1.com and search for Dash Crack in the Appearance Section):

The big plastic dash panel that goes from each side up to the glass is GM part # 10410583.

If you have T tops, it is easy to replace. You first remove the pillar covers (two screws at the top of the pillars). Then remove the pillar covers. The dash panel then lifts out (it hooks under the pillar covers and also has several snap-in areas underneath).
        The intense sun here gradually made mine more brittle and it cracked one day. The cracks got worse.

I paid $86.66 at www.gmpartsdirect.com.

Comment

Take the t tops out and you'll see the two screws at the tops of the pillars. They unscrew with a Philllips screwdriver. Carefully pull the pillar covers off.

DON'T pay $500!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SilentV6:
            Yes, i do. I know there are like some pins holding it down because i cant seem to pull 2 piece out that is nearest to the windshield
            The "pins" are like plastic suppoerts going down into the dash. They'll pop up IF you've removed the pillar covers (which allows the dash piece to pull up).

One of those "pins" broke off on mine, so be sure you get them all out. When I was trying to install my replacement, I could not get it to go down in one spot. then I realized one of the broken off "pins" from the old dash part was still in its mounting spot. [img]graemlins/slap.gif[/img] doh!

Comment

Thanks alot !!! you saved me some big bucks [img]graemlins/banana.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X