Car Cover Usage Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Cover Usage Question

I was just wondering.... is it safe to put my weathershield car cover (thanks to you guys who recommended it) on my car when it is wet, lightly snow covered, or dirty? I was just worrying about scratching it or ruining the cover. Any tips?

-Justin
    <b><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/drkmind11\" target=\"_blank\">2000 Red Firebird Coupe, A4.</a></b> ((3.42 Gears, LSD Stock))<br />Details: 3\" Edelbrock Exhaust, 3\" Catco Cat,160* Thermostat, 8% Tint, TA Chrome Wheels, Viper 550.

Personally, I wouldn't. Putting the cover on a dirty car gets the soft "felt" material on the car side dirty as well. Then when putting the cover on, that dirt can scratch your paint. Not like gouging scratches, but the meticulous kind that only you know about. Washing a car cover isn't fun either. Mine has never been the same since I first washed it. I have a Wolf cover by the way. I would try to rinse the car off. Putting it on a wet CLEAN car shouldn't matter unless you're putting it in storage. Then I wouldn't recommend it.
    Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD....you wanna hit it, but you\'re affraid of the consequences...<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=244935\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=244935</a>

Comment

Nope. If its clean slap the cover on it. If it gets rained on let it sit on the car until the cover is dry if you can. Use the car cover for... more than 2 day storage. If your car isn't clean don't worry about the car cover and go wash your car.

Covers are great for those of us who typically wash our cars weekly.
      2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
      Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dominic:

Covers are great for those of us who typically wash our cars weekly.
        <hr></blockquote>

like me.... right now my car is sittin under a cover in the garage

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
        Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

I don't put the car cover on unless my car is clean and dry.

As far as ruining he cover, I would not worry about that. Weathershield can be machine washed and dried. Still, I would not want it to be washed a great many, many times. Just like any other fabric, I am sure it must deteriorate in repeated washings.

Here's a quick snippet I found re: washing Weathershield covers:

Weathershield Fabric--- Any cover will slowly collect dust on its under-
          side, picked up from contact with the surface of the vehicle. Your
          Weathershield cover may be washed using most any washing machine at
          home. Use a powder type detergent without bleach, (common detergents
          like Tide with Bleach should be all right). Wash cover using "Normal" or
          "Permanent Press" cycles in cold or warm water. Do Not Wash In Hot Water!
          Run cover through two rinse cycles- It is important that all the detergent be
          removed. The cover can be dried in most home dryers. Use the
          "Permanent Press" settings. Do Not use fabric softener.

***FYI if water starts going through your cover, which is unusual, follow the
          wash instructions and it will reactivate the water repellents in your cover and it
          will be as good as new!---Your cover also has a limited four year warranty.
          Contact the retailer you purchased it from with questions.

And as for Loochy's comment:
          I used my cover all the time when I had an assignments that caused me to park in a parking garage. The exhaust from all the cars coming and going gets trapped in the garage and leaves a grit all over the car.

Kahouna:
          Weathershield does not have any felt. Weathershield is extremely lightweight and made from encapsulated fibers that result in a nearly waterproof cover. The lack of any such felt means that the Weathershield cover provides very little "ding" protection. However, I've found that the car cover gives some "psychological" protection from dings, because people tend to be more careful around cars with covers on them.

- A satisfied Weathershield owner. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ March 29, 2003: Message edited by: Everglades W68 ]</p>
          I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
          CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
          FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse