spray paint on car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spray paint on car

Yesterday at work people were spray painting light poles that were about 100-200 yards away from where employees park their cars. well, if you were walking anywhere near the spraying you would get tiny black specks of paint on you, but i never thought the wind would carry the paint all the way to my car. I washed my car today and guess what i found, yep, tiny black specks all over my car :mad: . They are all over my car, and since my car is white, this is a problem.

I told my boss already, and security filed a report. I'm the only one to have this complaint so far. What i need to know is if these little specks need to be taken off immediately, or if they can stay on there a few more days/week(s) and not cause any more trouble getting off than they already will be. And should I take this to a paint place (or where ever can do this) to get them to take it off and make my place of work pay for it, or should i spend a whole day getting the specks off myself? If i do it myself, what should i use to take it off? Wax and buffing compund do the trick, but very, very slowly. Fingernails also do the trick, but very slowly as well.

Please help! Thanks!
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/677137\" target=\"_blank\">2000 White Firebird W68</a> <br />A4, LSD, 3.42 gears<br />Flowmaster muffler, Borla tips<br />TA Hatch, 17\" Chrome Firehawk Wheels

I wish I knew more about paints to tell you what to do, but this just irritates me.

How STUPID are people? I hope whatever company did the spraypainting gets their cars spraypainted.

Or at least pays to remove the stuff on yours.
    Summer:<br />1999 Black Pontiac Firebird Coupe<br />5-speed, T-Tops, Chrome Rims, TA Hatch, Reflective Decals.<br /><br />Winter:<br />2000 Silver Grand Am GT<br />Reflective Black Badge Overlays, chrome

Comment

I'd find out where those f-er's live and beat the crap outta them! Getting spray paint on a car, thats bad.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your car. Try lightly soaking a cloth with either Kerosene or Bug & Tar Remover to remove the specs of paint. It should wipe off fairly easy. If it's on the glass you can use some fine steal wool. (don't use steal wool on your door mirrors since they are not glass.)

If the paint specs don't come off easily then I'd have the painters pay for it.
        2006 Tiburon

Comment

Originally posted by nda0602v6:
          Sorry to hear about your car. Try lightly soaking a cloth with either Kerosene or Bug & Tar Remover to remove the specs of paint. It should wipe off fairly easy. If it's on the glass you can use some fine steal wool. (don't use steal wool on your door mirrors since they are not glass.)

If the paint specs don't come off easily then I'd have the painters pay for it.
          [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] B4 you do that man, you might want to see if your wax has the paint embeded in it first. If you strip your waz with some dishwashing liquid and then a claybar, it may save you without the harsh stuff......if not fugg it and try the other stuff. Bastards, there must be a video or something for the parking lot, you may be looking at some reimbursments????Who knows
          -235/4517 Chrome Mondera Solaris<br />-Hornet remote start-keyless entry<br />-Pioneer 8400/CD/MP3<br />-2 Audiobahn 10\'s in custom box<br />-Flowmaster exhaust-SLP CAI-*180<br /><br />Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity....Tony from \"Snatch\"

Comment

The people that were painting the poles were working for the place where i work, so it wont be a problem figuring out who did it. I just don't really wanna go through the trouble of all that if i can get the paint of myself fairly easy.

Are you all sure kerosene will not harm the paint job? If that wont, would paint thinner mess up the paint job if not used excessively?

Before I try any of that stuff^^ i will try some dishwashing soap and claybar. I have heard of claybar before but have never seen it anywhere (but havent ever looked). Where can i pick one up? Can i get it at an Autozone, Advanced Auto, or maybe even Wal-mart? Thanks for all of your responses!
            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/677137\" target=\"_blank\">2000 White Firebird W68</a> <br />A4, LSD, 3.42 gears<br />Flowmaster muffler, Borla tips<br />TA Hatch, 17\" Chrome Firehawk Wheels

Comment

Yeah autozone sells clay, I think its called Clay Magic. If you've never used it before make sure to keep spraying the surface with soapy water or spray wax while using the clay.

I don't know about paint thinner but another thing that would work is Prep Solvent (I think that's what it's called). It comes in a metal can located in the paint/body section at Autozone. It's used to remove dirt and wax from surfaces before you paint. It won't harm your paint. I've used kerosene to clean tar off along the bottom of my rocker panels before and it didn't harm the paint. If these are just tiny little specs of paint then any of the above should easily remove it.
              2006 Tiburon

Comment

Try clay bar first like above and another thing that I used to take my painted pinstripes off was easy off oven cleaner. That might work and it didnt harm my paint.
                <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/maleet\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Silver Firebird</a> <br />Basic mods... nothing real special but it sure looks good!<br /><a href=\"http://www.maleetpobanz.com\" target=\"_blank\">maleetpobanz.com</a>

Comment

You can use lacquer thinner. Shouldent harm the paint, but I would check in a place where it wont be noticed first. Before you do that though, clay bar should do the trick. Get it off as soon as possible, you dont want the paint to continue to dry and harden any more than absolutely necessary.

Cp

Comment

Wouldn't use paint thinner man, I think it has an acetone base which is almost like pouring nail polish remover on your paint. I'd stick to the bar too, then go with the laquer thinner-but do hurry pimp
                    -235/4517 Chrome Mondera Solaris<br />-Hornet remote start-keyless entry<br />-Pioneer 8400/CD/MP3<br />-2 Audiobahn 10\'s in custom box<br />-Flowmaster exhaust-SLP CAI-*180<br /><br />Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity....Tony from \"Snatch\"

Comment

Well i hope it can wait until friday, because thats my day off, and i dont live near a auto store so i cant buy the stuff and do it on a work day. If friday is to late, and i cant get it off, i'm sure i can have a professional place take it off. What kind of place does this? Would any old car painting place do this?

Comment

what would putting stuff like rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover on your paint do?
                        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by Christian:
                          Wouldn't use paint thinner man, I think it has an acetone base which is almost like pouring nail polish remover on your paint. I'd stick to the bar too, then go with the laquer thinner-but do hurry pimp
                          I would clay bar it first... if that doesnt work liquor will. It will not harm your paint or clear coat... just make sure you wax it afterwards. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't mess with it. I'd take it to a professional who can detail it by buffing the paint surface. Then I'd give the people who damaged it the BILL. The car will come out much better this way and you won't risk doing damage to the paint yourself.
                            2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
                            1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
                            2011 Cadillac CTS-V
                            2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
                            2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

i agree with shirl. you would get alittle out of it by having the rest of your paint get a makeover
                              2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X