Clearcoat coming off of roof. Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearcoat coming off of roof. Help.

The clearcoat was coming off rapidly on the front of my roof near the driverside winshield. I painted over it with spray paint and sanded it smooth down. Now the paint is bubbling up and cracking. Any ideas on helping me would be great.

dont spray paint your car ricer!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

get it repainted correctly
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Dig deep into you pockets and find someone who can spray it for you...with a real spraygun. Spraypaint will look even worse than your fading clearcoat no matter how you try. As said above, do it correctly.
      sigpic

Comment

Not everyone can afford to just go out and get a panel repainted. That **** gets expensive. Unfortunately, that's the only way your roof is going to look good again.
        -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG:
          dont spray paint your car ricer!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

get it repainted correctly
          whats wrong with getting it painted by yourself [img]tongue.gif[/img] of course you have to know how to do it

Comment

On my 2001, the paint was bubling so I took it to the dealer. There was a bulletin about the hard top cars having this problem. It seams the roof panel is glued on and the glue was soaking through the plastic roof panel causing the paint to bubble. They replaced my roof for free. A friends 2002 SS Camaro had the same problem, they replaced his too.
            2001 Firebird 3.8L V6 M5,<br />It once had....<br />NX Nitrous Wet Kit, ZZP X-P Hot Cam, <br />3.42 LSD, Pacesetter Headers, <br />36# Injectors, HP Tuners<br />322 RWHP, 379 RWTQ<br />13.596 @ 102.56 w/100 shot

Comment

ttop cars too, ill be taking mine into a dealership to get mine repainted as well :( its starting to bubble, alot
              I guess I\'d have answer your question with another question.<br /><br />How many Abidiginals do you see in modeling??????<br /><br />headers, 3inch magnaflow cat, Loudmouth<br />99 Midnight Blue Firebird<br />3.8L A4

Comment

I did an awesome job painting over it, but it started to crack again. When I painted over it, the paint was like brand new. No bumps or anything. 1000 grit sand paper, rubbing compound, and everything else. I have a 96 anyway so I guess the dealer won't replace that.

Comment

Convert your car to T-tops and never worry about that again!
                  I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                  CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                  FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Is that possible?

Comment

Originally posted by joecool:
                      Is that possible?
                      Yes - the 4th gen cars are all built as t tops in the frame - the hard top cars have a panel stuck on. Several people have done the conversion. Do a search on t top conversion. also look up MTMike on this board - he has a well-photographed conversion (in the snow! :eek: ).
                      I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                      CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                      FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

http://www.msnusers.com/Joecool5428/...hoto&PhotoID=4

http://www.msnusers.com/Joecool5428/...hoto&PhotoID=5

I finally found a camera and took a picture of the painting patch i put on my car. Anyone know how to keep it from bubbling up and cracking? The clearcoat is not peeling anymore, but a few bubbles cracked a month or so after painting

Comment

sounds like youre just going to have to try again. sand and spray till you get it right.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
                          Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

im getting my t-top bar pillar painted at this place. 350 for the whole thing, but theyre guna do a real professional job. ill post pics later when i get it done.
                            Dave:
                            00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                            97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Kubes
                              Exploding starters
                              by Kubes
                              Before I replaced the Lower and upper intake gaskets, plugs and wire etc etc I had no starting issues, car even ran okay
                              i bought this car a couple...
                              1 week ago
                            • 2.8 Bird
                              Thinking about going back to 180 stat
                              by 2.8 Bird
                              It's been very hot in my place and the 160 is not working too well now. Perhaps 160 is just opening up to soon that it not giving the radiator time to...
                              1 week ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Found some led reverse bulbs
                              by ssms5411
                              My regular bulbs at night doesn’t light up to well, hopefully they are brighter. Got them from Screaming Chicken. Anyone else have any luck with led...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • Fruitgrower231
                              Having some electrical issues
                              by Fruitgrower231
                              95 Camaro 3400 V6, power windows, radio and power top have stopped working. Fuse and circuit breakers appear to be good. I have accessed the inside...
                              3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X