Painting Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Rims

Ok, I've been wanting to paint my ZO6 rims for quite a while now. I have the chrome and want em black, keeping the chrome lip. My questions are these, what paint should I use. Has anyone actually done this themselves? Any pics? I have a buddy who painted his rims himself. Did everything as best as he could too. First he cleaned the surface, then used a mild sandpaper to scratch the surface. He wiped em down a bit the started applying primer. He sprayed 2 coates of primer per wheel, the layed 3 coats of black gloss paint. Finally, he layed 3 coats of clear and let em dry a day. they looked good for about a month or so, then they started to look a little dull. Now they look pretty much like flat black, definately not as good as they were before. So how can I get my wheels to keep a gloss look for years to come. He used some paint from advance auto parts, which is the same I used to paint my interior and my interior is still very glossy (I havent painted it for a year). what you think?

Note: these pics are to be representations of what black ZO6 rims looks on a red car as my car (bottom) should have generally the same color scheme.
    2001 camaro v6 red convertable<br /> ggotta go fast... I GGOTTTA GO FFAST! CCANT HEELP MMMYYSSELLLF<br />pics:<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/darkthoughts5000\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/darkthoughts5000</a>

can't you just buy black z06's and sell ur chromeies, or just power coat?
    99 WS6
    13.25@104.97 - Lid + soon to be more other stock items ;D

Originally posted by camaroextra
    tears are great lube, but its hard to get a girl to cry onto her own ***.

Comment

you could sell the chrome ones and buy alumj ones for half the price and then use the extra money to have middle painted black..... so u break even..

Comment

yea i vote selling them (to shock_core) and buying new ones!! ;)
        Dave:
        00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
        97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

i wouldnt paint wheels that expensive if i was you. We painted my brother's wheels with car paint and a professional gun. Turned out pretty good but I wouldnt risk it on those wheels. Just sell them and get some black ones.
          1999 silver firebird: whisper lid, KN, Flowmaster 80 series, 3:42 gears

Comment

I plan on doing the Black Z06's some time this summer Discount Tire carries them for $190ea in 17s.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X