thinking a painting my car..BY MYSELF.. need serious advice - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thinking a painting my car..BY MYSELF.. need serious advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking a painting my car..BY MYSELF.. need serious advice

ok here' the deal. my car is 6 yrs old. i have some chips and scratches. etc.... all in all i think the paint is in pretty good condition, but i want it another color and i want that "mint" look. i don't have 3 grand to pay for a paint job. i was thinking of doing it mayself. here's the good news. i have full free access to a professional paint booth, air compressor and a professional gun. i have everything i need at my disposial. all i have to buy is the paint and clearcoat/ sealant. i do have some painting skills, but i never paited a car before. is it possilbe. my body is in perfect condition. i was thinking of taking a week of from work and giving it a shot. can you guys give me some advice/tips. i'm still not a 100% sure i'm going to do this, but i want to try. even if it turns out not so great , i think it would be fun and cheap. i'm thinking paint and clearcoat will cost around 400 bucks. do anyone think i'm outta of my mind??
    97 Camaro RS<p>Big stall converter, Big fuel pump, Big cam and alot of nitrous

My next door neighboor(s) paint there own cars. I have never actually painted a full car but have done gfx for them and other small stuff. I say try a practice run on something. Base coat, clear coat is relativly simple. Since your going to be chaning color it will make it a little more difficult, especially if you want to spray the engine comparment. I say if u have some experiance go for it.
    96\' Camaro RS<br />Stock

Comment

you need an air compressor and paint gun and a dust-proof room, and ventilation, and lotsa ****, just get a shop to do it

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by silicuda:
        you need an air compressor and paint gun and a dust-proof room, and ventilation, and lotsa ****, just get a shop to do it<hr></blockquote>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jersey:
        [QB. here's the good news. i have full free access to a professional paint booth, air compressor and a professional gun. i have everything i need at my disposial. all i have to buy is the paint and clearcoat/ sealant. iQB]<hr></blockquote>

;) ;) did you read the post [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: 97chevycamaro ]</p>
        Dont call me chief.<br /><br />2001 Camaro Convertible Rs Replica<br />1991 Acura Legend

Comment

whoopsie daisy, okay man !! give it a go then [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

yea i think i'm going to give it a shot. i'm doing my interoir right now as we speak.
            97 Camaro RS<p>Big stall converter, Big fuel pump, Big cam and alot of nitrous

Comment

Jersy I have painted many a car, and let me tell you it does not take a week. There is all the prep work which could take a few months for a "mint" job as you said.

Not to mention all the masking you will need to do. Painting another color requires a bit more skill because you have to get under the hood, under the trunk, inside door jams, and so on. This also requirs very good masking skills. Especially so you do not get a bunch of over spray. There are alot of things to be considered over all.

If you have not painted a car before you may want to get some help of someone who has painted a car. Not to mention the body work/prep work. It is alot to tackle by yourself, especially for a first time.

There is a reason why good shops might charge 4k+ for a "mint" job. I hope that helps. Best of luck! ;)
              Thanks, <br />JAM<p>02 Firebird GT

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X