Resistor Questions.... Working with LED's + a question - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resistor Questions.... Working with LED's + a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistor Questions.... Working with LED's + a question

First the question, is the bulb that goes in the shifter plate of my 97 Chevy Camaro (newer interior style) a 73 or 74?

I've never worked with LED's so my question is, with 194 bulbs and 73 or 74 bulbs what kind of resistors will I need? I did a search and couldn't find any of it. Also how do I wire in a resistor? Does it just wire in right before the bulb?
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

the shifter is a 74. i dont think you need any kind of resistor, just pop the old one out and put the new one in...?
    Dave:
    00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
    97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

if you are using a 194 led or 74 led bulb they need no resistors. you only need a resistor when you are hardwiring them in
      1997 Camaro LS1 RS
      1994 Camaro - Sold
      1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

ok people, he had a bulb....
        he wants to put in a led instead...
        he doesnt have some led that you buy and it plugs in, just a buy by the bulk led for anything u want to use it on....
        the led doesnt take the same woltage that the bulb takes..
        he needs a resitor you put inline before it so that it will run correctly

Comment

oh i see nevermind about my post then
          1997 Camaro LS1 RS
          1994 Camaro - Sold
          1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

I used a licence plate led in mine for what you want to do, it had a resistor wired in. You can also use one from those cheesey led window sparyers that light up, they have the resistor hardwired also.

Comment

where did you get the leds?

i got mine off ebay from some bestin hong kong guys. mine were made to run at 4.4v, a car electrical system is 12v. so i used a 170 ohm resistor. got them at radio shack $1 for 5. the only thing is they dont carry very many 170 ohms.
              170k ohm wont work.

then you just wire it up in line on the + side. the + side of the led is the longer end.
              <a href=\"http://cardomain.com/id/articacid\" target=\"_blank\">2002 35th Anniv. Black Camaro M5</a><br />Mods: Carsound Cat, SLP Loudmouth, Whisper Lid w/ K&N, J&M LCA\'s, ST Springs, eD Stereo(146.7 dB)<br />\'88 K1500 305 V8 Auto(Winter)

Comment

Originally posted by articacid:
                where did you get the leds?

i got mine off ebay from some bestin hong kong guys. mine were made to run at 4.4v, a car electrical system is 12v. so i used a 170 ohm resistor. got them at radio shack $1 for 5. the only thing is they dont carry very many 170 ohms.
                170k ohm wont work.

then you just wire it up in line on the + side. the + side of the led is the longer end.
                I got the LEDS and the resistors,but how do I connect them?

Comment

well you need to find out what they run at tog et the right resistor.

if you look at the led theres 2 little metal poles sticking out, ones longer. take a piece of wire cut it in half, solder the resistor in the middle. the hook it up to the longer pole. this is going to be you positive. then hook the other end up to you - or ground.
                  <a href=\"http://cardomain.com/id/articacid\" target=\"_blank\">2002 35th Anniv. Black Camaro M5</a><br />Mods: Carsound Cat, SLP Loudmouth, Whisper Lid w/ K&N, J&M LCA\'s, ST Springs, eD Stereo(146.7 dB)<br />\'88 K1500 305 V8 Auto(Winter)

Comment

So how am I going to know what kind of resistors I'll need for any given LED? Also will the liscense plate LED's fit in the dashboard?
                    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

No, dont think the L.plate led's will work in the dash, it was just a quick fix for my shifter. What is it you want to do with your dash? change colors? They have straight change over bulbs for that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X