Upgrading my headlights to sealed conversion kit... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading my headlights to sealed conversion kit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading my headlights to sealed conversion kit...

Does anyone know the part number off of http://eurolamps.com/eurolamps/sealedbeams.htm ?
    \'96 M5 Camaro White<br />Flowmaster Full Catback<br />SLP CAI<br />180* Thermo<br /><br />Stereo: H/U - Clarion DXZ725 <br />Alipne Type-R 6.5 Components (front), <br />Alpine Alpine SPS-1629S 6.5 <br />2 10\" JL 10w0<br /><br />\"One Love\" -Bob Marley

Why are you buying it when you can use your existing headlight housing(s)? All it takes is a pair of pliers, new 9005 & 9006 bulbs, and hightemp silicone. Works great!
    sigpic

Comment

ok then, hells yes. I'll just do that. JB weld I'm assuming?
      \'96 M5 Camaro White<br />Flowmaster Full Catback<br />SLP CAI<br />180* Thermo<br /><br />Stereo: H/U - Clarion DXZ725 <br />Alipne Type-R 6.5 Components (front), <br />Alpine Alpine SPS-1629S 6.5 <br />2 10\" JL 10w0<br /><br />\"One Love\" -Bob Marley

Comment

JB Weld will work great, but you'll crack the housing if you ever want to pull the bulb. I used a high-temp silicone. Just remember, don't touch the bulb with your fingers!
        sigpic

Comment

I was wondering this too...if you place the 9006 bulbs in the original housing will the wires melt, or is that what the silicone is for? is there a guide on how to do it?
          <b><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/onebad9d5\" target=\"_blank\">1995 Red 3.4L Camaro</a><br /></b><br />Dont laugh if you see me pushing, no reverse, tranny needs rebuild.

Comment

No, the wires will not melt. The plastic on the new bulb(s) acts as an insulation from the heat generated, and will not reach the wires. I've had the 9005 & 9006 bulbs in for quite some time now and zero problems to report.

No guide, but I'll do the best I can here:
            -Remove the housings
            -Take a pair of pliers and grip the rear of the bulb
            -Slowly turn the bulb either way to loosen it, then pull it from the housing (note which way the plug was facing, and mark it somehow)
            -Use hightemp silicone around the housing to seal the new bulb
            -Put a little silicone around the bulbs base and install properly
            -Try to make sure there is no way for rain, condensation, etc. to get through any missed sections of silicone.
            -Let silicone properly dry, and install.
            sigpic

Comment

thanks for that write up man. Now I just need to figure out what bulbs to put in. I guess I'll get what everyone else has (Sylvania Silverstar's right?)

Comment

yes, BUT if you do the free mod way every time you do it you risk busting the housing. I just converted my Sonoma's sealed beam unit to an H4 setup for $55 w/ bulbs.

http://bellkevin.home.comcast.net/Sonoma/headlights.jpg

Plus mine for my truck is DOT approved, so if a cop ever asked me about my lights being so bright -- I'll just point him to the DOT stamp of approval ;)
                Mustangs.. Come to the darkside...<br /><br />The dark side is the path to the shadow of greed. =D

Comment

Originally posted by KBeezy:
                  Plus mine for my truck is DOT approved, so if a cop ever asked me about my lights being so bright -- I'll just point him to the DOT stamp of approval ;)
                  True, the housing is DOT approved. It's only illegal when people put red, orange, green, or purple bulbs behind them.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KBeezy:
                    yes, BUT if you do the free mod way every time you do it you risk busting the housing. I just converted my Sonoma's sealed beam unit to an H4 setup for $55 w/ bulbs.

http://bellkevin.home.comcast.net/Sonoma/headlights.jpg

Where did you get them for $55?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X