removing decals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing decals

I have two side pillar birds and the pontiac rear lettering and was wondering what the best way to remove them is. I have them done in black and the hood stripes i want are silver so I was gonna take them off and put silver in place of them if it's not to tough. Anyone have any good sugestions. Thanks guys.
    97 Red Firebird W68 3.8L, T-Tops, Ground effects, Dynomax Super Tubo, Stock T/A tips, BMR strut tower brace, SLP Cold air intake

how long has everything been on there? how often is the thing just sitting in direct sunlight?

im asking this because your paint will be faded around where the decals were. I took my "RSS" decals off when i got mine and luckily there wasnt any.

Best bet would to be to take a hair drier, hold it about 6-8'' away from the birds, pick the edge of the decal with your finger tip and slowly pull it up. There will be a small residue left, most likely around the edges. Just take some fantasic or some light cleaner and it will come right off.

As for the stripes, you do the same thing, but much slower, heat up the section your pulling and slowly pull it off. Again there will be a residue left- just clean it up.

After all is done, id recomend washing and waxing the car just to clean it up and to buff out any possible light fading from where the stickers were.

Hope this helped.
    -Justin-<br />Red 1996 Camaro RS- Wrecked 11-1-03...<br /><br />1991 Camaro RS

Comment

there are no stripes yet, i want to put silver on but i don't think it'll match with the black birds and rear filler. they side birds and rear have only been on about 5 or 6 months. and down here i can just wait for a hot day instead of the heater. lol. thanks.
      97 Red Firebird W68 3.8L, T-Tops, Ground effects, Dynomax Super Tubo, Stock T/A tips, BMR strut tower brace, SLP Cold air intake

Comment

after you get em off, use a product called Goo Gone, it works pretty good at removing residue and gets rid of the stickiness
        i found some for a couple bucks at a target or pep boys or someplace like that
        hope this helps
        mcG<br />aim=endlive<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/endlive\" target=\"_blank\">97 firebird</a> ~ wrecked

Comment

be careful, my clear coat started comming off when I tried removing the trim on mine, but my car is alot older (94)
          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=401701\" target=\"_blank\">3.4L Red Firebird</a>

Comment

Hey another Red W68 :D
            Have any pics?
            <b>« Red <i><a href=\"http://sandman.v8tec.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a></i> »</b>

Comment

My car had a pretty big Vinal Dealer Decal on the back of it when I bought it. I just used my thumbnail, water, and some elbow grease and it came off nicely.

[ February 06, 2003: Message edited by: Distephano ]</p>
              1997 Cayenne Red Metallic Camaro<br />3.8 V6 M5<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Ceramic Coated Pacesetter Headers <br />Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Full 3.42 & Disc Break Rear End Swap

Comment

that can help to but its just safer if you heat it b/c it will loosen the glue and help reduce the amount of residue left.
                -Justin-<br />Red 1996 Camaro RS- Wrecked 11-1-03...<br /><br />1991 Camaro RS

Comment

Any reason why your going from black to silver? I would imagine that black would look and stand out better than silver.
                  <b>Black 1996 3.8L Firebird A4</b><br />--------------------------<br />Custom CAI, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust, 160 Deg Thermo, BMR ShockTower Brace<br />JVC mp3 HU, two 12\" Infinity Kappa Perfects, Infinity 6.5\" components, JBL 600.1 & 80.4 amps <br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/479229363CPbPiz\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

Comment

I think that if you get a blow dryer and hold it to the decals for a while till they get hot and they would peel off. Im not sure it will work but its an idea!
                    Derek <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/dmiller_2005\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Metallic Silver Camaro</a><br />35th Anniversary

Comment

Fingernails and Goo Gone worked for me.
                      I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                      CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                      FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

i'm going from black to silver b/c the stripes i want for the hood look best in silver and i'm not sure if i wanna mix the black and silver, or go all silver. the black stripes look horible.

Comment

I peeled the dealer's decals off my car with my fingernails, probably not the best way, but a little water and a paper towel got the residue off.
                          -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X