Clay and Wax Questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay and Wax Questions!

Hey guys, I am planning on claying my car for the very first time this weekend, and I was wondering about a couple of different things. First off, should I wash my car with dish soap first, to strip of any wax on there, or should I use the regular car wash soap. Second, is it ok to use the NXT generation wax instead of the stuff that came with the kit. I ask this because I really dont want mothers wax on my car, because I will be using the NXT wax from then on after. Also if anyone has any other tips for me, please tell me! Thanx!

-Josh

1997 30th Anniversary Camaro.
    SLP CAI, Dynomax, PCM tune, SS Hood, Clear Corners, T-Tops, Sony Xplod

TEAM RED

dont wash with dish wash that is bad for the paint is what i have herd. all the was helps i guess

Comment

As long as the car is clean, you can clay it. Hell, the other day, I washed, apply cleaner and then sealant. Then I went back and clayed it since it was still just sitting in the garage and then I reapply my sealant again. lol.

The wax that come with the clay bar is a cleaner/wax, you don't have to use it unless there are some light surface scratches you want to get rid of. NXT has some light cleaners in there as well, thats how it gets rid of swirl marks. But even before you apply your wax, the detailing spray will already make it very smooth after the clay job.
      1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

First: I would never wash paint with dish soap. Just get some car wash soap as you said. Once the car is clean clay it (don't bother claying smooth panels, run your fingers along the clean paint to test it.) Then apply your sealant/wax.

Let me clarify something: Meguiar's NXT DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT get rid of swirl marks. It will hide your swirl marks by filling them in temporarily, but the only way to get rid of swirls is by polishing or compounding. This is a common misconception. It's a great wax though, I definitely recommend it. It makes a great shine and protects your paint very well.
        -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

there is alot of people out there that are into the dish soap thing. i used to work at a body shop, it will not hurt the paint. but it will strip the wax. so if you do use it just make sure you wax it.
          <a href=\"http://cardomain.com/id/articacid\" target=\"_blank\">2002 35th Anniv. Black Camaro M5</a><br />Mods: Carsound Cat, SLP Loudmouth, Whisper Lid w/ K&N, J&M LCA\'s, ST Springs, eD Stereo(146.7 dB)<br />\'88 K1500 305 V8 Auto(Winter)

Comment

YOu can use the dish soap preferably Dawn, removes greases... It does remove wax, but that is what you are doing when you claybar, you are trying to remove wax and all other impurities off of the paint.

Then its just the paint clean and clear then you wax.

They say dishsoap will affect the clearcoat over time but that is if you wash your car with it like weekly.

Just use it everytime you clay, which will probably be twice a year or so.

I suggest wash the car, then wash it again, then use a soap, make it a stonger concentration in a spray bottle. Walk over the car and spray the an area with the concetration then use the claybar on the car. You are not "scrubbing" just sliding it around like a hockey puck on ice. YOu will feel where you need to fo over an area and where you don't need to.

Hotspots to hit... roof, hood, and defintely the rear bumper. But make sure you check your whole car. If you want to do a thorough job.

PS nothing removes swirls unless its some sort of harsher agent like a rubbing compound, likely with a buffer...

most cleaner waxes just fill in the swirls temporarily.
            -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

If you're planning on using Zaino or something different then what you're using for the 1st time then use the dishsoap. Like others said it will strip the car of what other stuff you have to start new. If youre not changing to a different polish then dont use the dishsoap and use the car wash. I always use a dime-size amount of the zaino car wash in a bottle of water and use that as a lubricant for the claying. I usually clay my car a few times a year. The back bumper always gets alot of tar on it.
              2000 Pewter Metallic Formula M6 <br /><br /><a href=\"http://flaminbird.smugmug.com\" target=\"_blank\">My 2000 Formula</a>

Comment

I'd still dishsoap the car because by claying you are trying to remove the wax and everything dishsoap just removes more before you pull out the clay bar.

but don't use dishsoap as you clean it normally.

and wax/zaino/polish or whatever immediatlely.
                -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Originally posted by Camarorulz:
                  First: I would never wash paint with dish soap. Just get some car wash soap as you said. Once the car is clean clay it (don't bother claying smooth panels, run your fingers along the clean paint to test it.) Then apply your sealant/wax.

Let me clarify something: Meguiar's NXT DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT get rid of swirl marks. It will hide your swirl marks by filling them in temporarily, but the only way to get rid of swirls is by polishing or compounding. This is a common misconception. It's a great wax though, I definitely recommend it. It makes a great shine and protects your paint very well.
                  Fill in with what? Wax? lol

Please, continue clarifying [img]graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
                  1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

Yes, exactly. The wax fills in the swirls. It hides them. That's why after a proper NXT application you don't see as many swirls. When you first apply NXT, you will not see swirls. If you immediately washed your car with something like Dawn to remove the wax I guarantee you will see all those swirls again. So YES, the wax fills in the swirls.

Originally posted by shenanigans:
                    PS nothing removes swirls unless its some sort of harsher agent like a rubbing compound, likely with a buffer...

I'm not the only one that knows this..
                    -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

^^^ you are 100% right, the wax just fills in the swirls.

rubbing compound, polishing agents(the ones with very mild/light abrasives) are the only way to really get rid of swirls.

theres products like Scratch out that are very good at filling in swirls to hide them, but you have to put wax over top other wise its effect dont last very long.
                      <a href=\"http://cardomain.com/id/articacid\" target=\"_blank\">2002 35th Anniv. Black Camaro M5</a><br />Mods: Carsound Cat, SLP Loudmouth, Whisper Lid w/ K&N, J&M LCA\'s, ST Springs, eD Stereo(146.7 dB)<br />\'88 K1500 305 V8 Auto(Winter)

Comment

Hence why if your oging to fill swirls you need to use something like Z5, that lasts a long time...

BOOYAAAHHH!!! I know you guys were waiting for me to mention a zaino product in this thread!

Comment

Yes, exactly. The wax fills in the swirls. It hides them. That's why after a proper NXT application you don't see as many swirls. When you first apply NXT, you will not see swirls. If you immediately washed your car with something like Dawn to remove the wax I guarantee you will see all those swirls again. So YES, the wax fills in the swirls.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by shenanigans:

I'm not the only one that knows this.. </font>[/QUOTE]So, according to your theory: If I have a Black car with swirls, I then apply this wax and it FILLs in all my swirls, correct? Then when this wax that is in all these swirls dries up, what happens? Exactly.
                          There are color waxes from Turtle Wax that FILLS scratches. And of course it has it's limits. But this is swirl marks we are talking about, on the clear coat.

Do you know what a cleaner is. NXT is a wax with slight cleaning properties, which means it has slight abrasives to rid the swirl marks. You mention polishing compound, rubbing compound, hell throw in paint cleaners and paint polishes. All the same thing, just different levels of abrasiveness. You said it yourself:

"but the only way to get rid of swirls is by polishing or compounding"

What do you think they contain? Exactly, abrasive cleaners. Again, NXT has slight cleaning properties, which means a light amount of abrasives. Thats how it rids the swirls. But it's not enough to put it in the cleaner/wax category. Eagle One Wet is another with cleaning properties as well. This is why Meguiars don't recommend you to use NXT to top of your sealants.

Comment

If you immediately washed your car with something like Dawn to remove the wax I guarantee you will see all those swirls again. So YES, the wax fills in the swirls.
                            BTW, those are newly formed swirl marks. Since you stripped all the wax there is nothing to protect the clear coat. Don't believe me? Dawn a panel next time, but wash it and dry it in one direction. You will see for yourself.

Comment

Dude, stop arguing, you're WRONG. I'm not going to swirl my panel with Dawn if I use the right kind of towels. Meguiar's NXT is not NEARLY abrasive enough to GET RID OF swirls, and yes I know what a cleaner is. The purpose of the cleaner properties in NXT is to clean contaminants off the paint and smooth it over, not to remove swirls. NXT only fills swirls, it cannot remove them: The Z5 does it too, if you read shenanigans' post. Do you seriously believe it's that easy? Why do people buy orbital and rotary buffers and polishing products out the *** if Meguiar's NXT rids paint of swirls? You have three relatively experienced people in this thread telling you one thing, and you're still arguing. Give it up and admit you're wrong.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Kubes
                                Exploding starters
                                by Kubes
                                Before I replaced the Lower and upper intake gaskets, plugs and wire etc etc I had no starting issues, car even ran okay
                                i bought this car a couple...
                                1 week ago
                              • 2.8 Bird
                                Thinking about going back to 180 stat
                                by 2.8 Bird
                                It's been very hot in my place and the 160 is not working too well now. Perhaps 160 is just opening up to soon that it not giving the radiator time to...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Found some led reverse bulbs
                                by ssms5411
                                My regular bulbs at night doesn’t light up to well, hopefully they are brighter. Got them from Screaming Chicken. Anyone else have any luck with led...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • Fruitgrower231
                                Having some electrical issues
                                by Fruitgrower231
                                95 Camaro 3400 V6, power windows, radio and power top have stopped working. Fuse and circuit breakers appear to be good. I have accessed the inside...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X