Scratches from wet sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratches from wet sanding

If I were to wet sand my car with a 2000 grit sand paper, what would be a good wax to restore the shine and remove the fine scratches?

there wont be fine scratches. use gentle force with the sand paper and a constant stream or water wherever your sanding. Before i wetsanded my car the paint surface was rough, kind of like rusty feeling.

I wet sanded it a while ago, with i believe 2500 grit or 3000 grit sand paper. dont remember. But as i was doing it, the water dripping off the car was turning rusty brown. After that, i washed it and waxed it and the paint looked and felt brand new. You may get swirl marks though on the hood and front fenders. To take care of those use 3M Swirl and haze remover.

Wet sanding is kind or.. you know, Do at your own risk.. i wouldnt recommend doing it unless you reallly have to like in my case. if not, just claybar the hell outta the car. anyways, goodluck
    96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

you will have some nasty looking swirls when youre done. the 3m stuff will take care of it, but like he said, do at your own risk. you can eventually rub through the clear/paint. but that takes a lot of sanding

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
      Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Don't wet sand unless you really know what you're doing. Take it to a detail shop if you want something wet sanded.

As far as products go, Meguiar's clay bar kit or Meguiar's scratch-x would probably do a decent job to remove (or at least cover) scratches. Meguiar's NXT does a GREAT job of covering and removing swirls in my opinion. Great wax, but you should only use it about 4 times a year because its a cleaner wax.

If you want to go the pricey route, here ya go, this is the best: www.zainostore.com
        -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

best way to get rid of swirls would be to get a porter cable 7424 and apply a polish like vanilla moose wax

Comment

Wet sanding is usually done when a car is repainted, in between coats in order to get rid of any irregularities. (like dust specs that settle in the wet paint or clearcoat)

To get surface scratches out of your clearcoat use a good polish or clearcoat-safe polishing compound.
            1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

A. Whats the purpose of the wetsanding???
              B. If you never done it before... try it on another car.. like the neighbors when they are on vacation
              C.you will need to buff the paint. wetsanding dulls the paint, there are some good polishes out there if you look in the right place... Go to an automotive paint supply store.. they have the good stuff, what the professionals use.
              D. Zaino is overpriced, and you can get the same quality from Mothers or Meguiars if you take your time.

So, unless you have some serious overspray, bad paint quality(orange peel, fisheyes, or dust in the clear) you can save yourself alot of work and the risk of a worse paint than you began by a claybar, some cutting finish compound and a good wax.
              I do this stuff everyday and trust me, its easy to FUBAR a paintjob if you apply too much pressure or dont have enough water to clear the sandpaper.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X