Is this paint tough enough for calipers? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this paint tough enough for calipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this paint tough enough for calipers?

I bought some engine paint rated at 500* for painting my calipers and drums with. Now i'm having second thoughts, will this paint hold up to the heat? Or do I need to buy some 900* paint? Thanks for the help
    \'95 Med. Quasar Blue Camaro 3.4 A4<br />Bunch o\' mods<br /><b>10.18 @ 67.60 mph 2.22 60 ft (1/8 mile)</b> <br /><br />-1986 Camaro with a carbed 350<br /><b>8.53 @ 81.45mph 1.8 60\'</b><br />AIM CamaroL32

I don't know.. how are you planning on painting your calipers? Do you have to take off your wheels or do you just paint through them?
    2002 Silver Metallic A4 Firebird - All Options
    Hotchkis STB, Custom Madrel Bent 3" Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Whisper Lid, FT Ram Air, K&N Air Filter, D2S HID, Baer Rotors, !EGR, !MAF, 10% tint, Parrot CK3300

Your Mom or My Dad?

Comment

That paint will be just fine. I used regular paint on my calipers back when I painted them red and they looked great. The paint did not fade, crack, peel or any thing to that sort. This was on my calipers but I'm sure the same applies for the drums.

Skapimp: Umm I guess you could try to paint the calipers and/or drums though the rims but that wouldnt make much sense and would make the task dificult. That and you might get paint on your rims.

Painting your calipers is fairly easy and shouldnt take you longer than fifteen minutes. Even if you give it several coats you should be able to do it quickly. Make sure you wrap the parts that you dont want painted with newpaper or some other type of paper.

Well best of luck! ;)

Comment

So then you'd take of the tire? well if you did that on all 4 wouldn't you have to get another alignment?
        Hotchkis STB, Custom Madrel Bent 3" Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Whisper Lid, FT Ram Air, K&N Air Filter, D2S HID, Baer Rotors, !EGR, !MAF, 10% tint, Parrot CK3300

Your Mom or My Dad?

Comment

i used 500* engine enamel, it worked just fine and hasnt chipped, peeled or faded.

I highly suggest that you take off your wheels. Also it'd be best to remove the caliper/drums and sand them, then clean em'.

Comment

This goes along with this post kinda... so you get the right paint and everything.. what do you do.. take off your wheels, sand down calipers and drums and then paint.. wait... recoat... then put tires back on.. everytime you take tires off and put back on don't you have to take it in to get it alligned and all that junk?

Your Mom or My Dad?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Skapimp:
              This goes along with this post kinda... so you get the right paint and everything.. what do you do.. take off your wheels, sand down calipers and drums and then paint.. wait... recoat... then put tires back on.. everytime you take tires off and put back on don't you have to take it in to get it alligned and all that junk?<hr></blockquote>

Naw, just put the same wheel back where you took it off from. You may need to torque the bolts that hold the tires on but no alignment, unless the car fell off the jack when the tire was of. Then again, i sure you would much worse problems if that happned.
              2002 Black FireBird M5 2-5-02<br />Red BMR strut bar<br />Dynomax Super Turbo muffler with FastToys.com tips.<br />4 Coats of Zaino - Better every time<p>Need to post pictures? Do it <a href=\"http://www.thenebula.com/carpics/\" target=\"_blank\">here</a>. its <b>easy</b> and <b>free</b>.<br />Change your own oil. <a href=\"http://www.thenebula.com/firebird/oil/\" target=\"_blank\">click here</a>.

Comment

precisely, i suggest doing two coats. I did mine in black.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X