touch up, clear coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• touch up, clear coat

Ok, I HAVE done a search and did some reading, so I'm asking this question with more info under my belt that usual.
    My car has some rock chips and scratches.. sooo I went to the GM dealership (after looking up the codes) And got the appropriate paint. Now here's my question. On one of the rock chips, it appears to be beginning to rust [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]
    I also have Rust Converter handy (turns rust into black primer). How should I go about taking care of this?

Cleaning with alcohol, little rust primer, touch up paint? I assume that's right, but where do I find clearcoats at? Are they in sprays or are they touch up as well? If someone could give me some steps, I'd reaaaallly appreciate it!

Also, does car paint come in spray paint/airbrush? If so, I'd like to use that towards my scratches. Thx guys
    ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

all posts get answered but mine...
    ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

Here's the process for small chips/scratches:

1. Purchase touch-up paint for the car (bottle).
      2. Purchase a small amount of automotive clear coat (spray - any auto store).
      3. Wash the area surrounding the paint chip and dry it thoroughly.
      4. Using a small soft brush or Q-tip, clean out the paint chip.
      5. Shake up the touch-up paint
      6. Take a paper match and trim the non-lightable end to a point. Matches work well for applying paint.
      7. Apply a small amount of paint to the chip. Try not to get any on the surrounding paint.
      8. Allow the touch-up paint to dry thoroughly, then apply a layer of clear coat over the touch-up paint.
      9. Allow the clear coat to dry then apply a second layer. You want to build the clear coat up higher than the surrounding paint.
      10. Allow the paint to dry for 24 hours.
      11. Using 1500-grit sand paper, lightly sand the area. Make sure there is no dirt on the car or the sand paper. This will cause scratches.
      12. Using 2000-grit sand paper, sand the area again until smooth.
      13. Finish the process using a fine polishing compound on a soft cloth. This will bring back the shine.
      14. If you can still see swirl marks, try a car cleaner polish or a cleaner wax with a fine abrasive.
      15. The paint chip should now be gone and very hard to see. Only you will know where it was.

Tips:
      1. Don't be in a hurry. Make sure the paint is 100 percent dry before sanding.
      2. Only sand a very small area surrounding the paint chip. Don't go crazy.
      3. Sand only in one direction; do not go round in circles.
      <b>Mike</b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mcjoslyn\" target=\"_blank\">2001 Camaro</a><br />Light Pewter Metallic Convertible<br />AU0,A31,C60,DG7,F41,GU6,K34,L36,M30,T82,T96,UN0<p ><b>If it can\'t be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion.</b>

Comment

awesome

Comment

Damn, that's one hell of a breakdown on how to get rid of paint-chips. I'm gonna copy/print that and save it! Thanx!!

-Marc
          sigpic

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jc Kyle:
            all posts get answered but mine...<hr></blockquote>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> posted July 26, 2003 10:39 AM <hr></blockquote>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> posted July 26, 2003 11:51 AM <hr></blockquote>

You waited 1 hr 12 mins ...you have pretty high expectations for your questions to be answered on a message board.
            94 Camaro 3.4 A4 <br />T-Tops<br />In the process of an LS1 swap.

Comment

damn right [img]smile.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                Good to see the site is back up
                by 2.8 Bird
                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                1 day ago
              • FirebirdGT
                New Site Hosting Issues
                by FirebirdGT
                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X