Question to those w/aftermaket hoods - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question to those w/aftermaket hoods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to those w/aftermaket hoods

I've read on some of these posts that some aftermarket hoods sit higher than others. That they don't fint like the stock hoods. Is this going to be a standard issue with all aftermarket hoods? Does it apply to all of them, including SLP's? I want to get a hood but I want it to fit like my stock and have the correct gaps all the way around. What is the best hood?

02 Firebird W68

SLP hoods are higher quality than lets say Suncoast creations. I'm not familiar with the other companies, but I know that SLP will toss their mold away a lot more frequently than Suncoast, which makes the SLP hoods a lot more precise. I have a Suncoast Z-style ram air hood on my 96 Camaro, and the hood really needs to be adjusted properly to fit correctly. I still have an unsightly gap on one side of the hood, but that may be an issue with my car (Its been in a couple of fender-benders), and not so much the hood itself. Anyway, I would recommend SLP, if they have the hood you want. If not, I'm sure someone here can recommend a reliable company to buy from.
    Good Luck! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Jana<br />-Black,1996 3800 V6 Camaro with T-tops, Powerdyne 6 psi. SC, intercooled, front mounted ATI air to air two core intercooler, K&N Air Filter, Suncoast Ram Air Hood, Z-Style, with Air Box, Four wheel disk brakes conversion, with LS1 front brake conversion, 3.42 Gears, Cross drilled directional Rotors, BMR Strut Tower Brace, Flowmaster 80 Series muffler with 2.5\" inlet, and 3\" outlet, dual, chrome exhaust tips (soon to be full Flowmaster Thunder Series Catback with Pacesetter Headers), Stock LT1 Formula sway bars (soon to be 1LE\'s all around), 17 x 9 ZR1/SS chrome rims, with Firestone Firehawk 275/40/17 tires, Bilstein SLP valved shocks, Eibach springs, SLP Subframe connectors, BMR adjustable Torque Arm, 1LE Aluminum driveshaft, Taillight cover black-outs, Turn signal black-outs, Custom 3800 V6 decal, Off-road pipe, 160 Thermostat, SLP Fan Control Switch, B&M Transmision pan, B&M Shift Plus, Herb Adams solid adjustable PHR, etc.<br />-Soon to be added, headers, lightweight k-member.<br />-All thanks to my wonderful, supportive boyfriend, Rob, with the red hot 94 Firehawk Formula at: <a href=\"http://www.robshawk.com\" target=\"_blank\">Rob\'s Hawk</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.robshawk.com/Jana/Camaro/\" target=\"_blank\">Jana\'s Camaro</a>

Comment

i have a WS6 hood from www.fiberglass-hoods.com and it fit almost perfect when i put it on, i was VERY impressed, i highly recommend this company,
      <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

Same here with the Suncoast hood. The only thing is, it's the only one like it made for my year. If I had a 98+, I would've most definately gone with an SLP H.O Ram Air hood. It does have a problem lining up near the headlights, it's a little too high on one side. It's not noticable at all unless you really look for it, but still, it's the fact of the matter. It's functional though, so the whole airbox setup kind of makes up for it. I haven't tried nor seen any other kind of aftermarket hood, so I can't compare, but I think that all of Suncoast's hoods will not line up exactly. It's still a great hood though, but I still wish I could get that H.O. hood on my car...
        \"The Bird\" - \'95 Firebird (3.8), White<br />Suncoat Creations RamAir Predator hood with SC airbox, 30th Anniversary Ram Air-style stripes, Wings West W-Type ground effects, Last of the Breed Anniversary Emblems, Carsound High-Flow Cat, SLP Loudmouth Catback w/ 3.5\" slash-cut tips, and much more to come.

Comment

I have an SLP "Ultra-Z" hood and it fits almost perfect. It's a little to high at the top but not much. The body shop had to do a little adjusting on the fenders to get it to fit nicely. If I wanted them to, they would have drilled different holes in the brackets were the hood bolts on and it would have fit perfect. I might do it one day.

If you want, I'll take some close up pictures tommorrow of the hood so you can see how it fits.
          2002 Camaro SS, 6 speed, SLP Loudmouth, TR 224/224 Camshaft(valvetrain upgraded), Pro 5.0 shifter / Hurst classic black knob.

Comment

If SLP produced the kind of hood I wanted, we would have definitely bought it from SLP. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ July 27, 2003: Message edited by: Jana ]</p>
            Jana<br />-Black,1996 3800 V6 Camaro with T-tops, Powerdyne 6 psi. SC, intercooled, front mounted ATI air to air two core intercooler, K&N Air Filter, Suncoast Ram Air Hood, Z-Style, with Air Box, Four wheel disk brakes conversion, with LS1 front brake conversion, 3.42 Gears, Cross drilled directional Rotors, BMR Strut Tower Brace, Flowmaster 80 Series muffler with 2.5\" inlet, and 3\" outlet, dual, chrome exhaust tips (soon to be full Flowmaster Thunder Series Catback with Pacesetter Headers), Stock LT1 Formula sway bars (soon to be 1LE\'s all around), 17 x 9 ZR1/SS chrome rims, with Firestone Firehawk 275/40/17 tires, Bilstein SLP valved shocks, Eibach springs, SLP Subframe connectors, BMR adjustable Torque Arm, 1LE Aluminum driveshaft, Taillight cover black-outs, Turn signal black-outs, Custom 3800 V6 decal, Off-road pipe, 160 Thermostat, SLP Fan Control Switch, B&M Transmision pan, B&M Shift Plus, Herb Adams solid adjustable PHR, etc.<br />-Soon to be added, headers, lightweight k-member.<br />-All thanks to my wonderful, supportive boyfriend, Rob, with the red hot 94 Firehawk Formula at: <a href=\"http://www.robshawk.com\" target=\"_blank\">Rob\'s Hawk</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.robshawk.com/Jana/Camaro/\" target=\"_blank\">Jana\'s Camaro</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chevrolet Racing:
              I have an SLP "Ultra-Z" hood and it fits almost perfect. It's a little to high at the top but not much. The body shop had to do a little adjusting on the fenders to get it to fit nicely. If I wanted them to, they would have drilled different holes in the brackets were the hood bolts on and it would have fit perfect. I might do it one day.

If you want, I'll take some close up pictures tommorrow of the hood so you can see how it fits.
              <hr></blockquote>

That would be cool. Thanks for all the input folks!

Comment

anyone had any problems with a harwood hood.. ive seen it in the jegs catalog and i like the look, anyone had a bad experence?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                  New Site Hosting Issues
                  by FirebirdGT
                  All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                  1 week ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  New Owner!
                  by LETZRIDE
                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                  4 weeks ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                  02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X