any1 use 3M duramix epoxy for ground fx install..need help..tape sucks!! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any1 use 3M duramix epoxy for ground fx install..need help..tape sucks!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any1 use 3M duramix epoxy for ground fx install..need help..tape sucks!!

Hey guys...

My side pieces and rear piece were put on my camaro last year with double sided 3m heavy duty tape. I cleaned the area really well but did not use the adhesive promoter...(not sold in stores) And I should have bought the real auto 3M tape for cars...also not available in stores. Needless to say my ground fx did not last the winter and when I just took them off last week the tape wasn't even holding them on anymore. However I think I have found the real answer. It's a product called duramix made by 3M. It's a special urethane expoxy used specifically for ground fx. As soon as I get my pieces repainted I'm going to use these. Below is a link to the site that sells the 20cc (#4129) container for 10 bucks. The have a 6oz bottle for 30 bucks..(#4125)

I wanted to know if anyone has used this product or have heard any good things about it....it hate tape and this could be a very inexpensive alternative.

http://www.handsontools.com/store/s...product_id=9616

http://www.nbm.com/restyling/past_a...for_success.pdf

Thanks,

Robert O.
    1995 Camaro

ewww.. i would not use that unless you never want to get it off...

On my friends car his stock RS kit was hel on with a bunch of funny little clips/hangers..
    it holds it on really well.. but.. he wanted to take it all off.. and then he saw the hagers that drill though your body panals.. and he was like **** it..

you may want to try and get your hands on some of those hangers.. try a gm body shop or something.. ask them how they do it..

good luck
    ~Billy

Comment

This is what you need, and where to get it:

http://www.handsontools.com/store/sh...roduct_id=4024
      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

The body shop that installed my GFX used a 5 minute epoxy for the sides and rear pieces but had to use somethign stronger for the front air dam. They applied the epoxy then screwed in the pieces in a couple places. Once the epoxy was set they removed the screws and filled the holes in [img]smile.gif[/img]

I told them I didnt want tape for the same reason you dont want to use it. They said they never use it either and always use the epoxy. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good luck
        2000 Pewter Metallic Formula M6 <br /><br /><a href=\"http://flaminbird.smugmug.com\" target=\"_blank\">My 2000 Formula</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pewter2k Formula:
          The body shop that installed my GFX used a 5 minute epoxy for the sides and rear pieces but had to use somethign stronger for the front air dam. They applied the epoxy then screwed in the pieces in a couple places. Once the epoxy was set they removed the screws and filled the holes in [img]smile.gif[/img]

I told them I didnt want tape for the same reason you dont want to use it. They said they never use it either and always use the epoxy. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good luck
          <hr></blockquote>

damn they used epoxy [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] what a retards
          you should only use 3m double sided tape
          its available in auto parts store,I use that all the time

Comment

yea right, tape only lasts so long. I'd go with the epoxy as well!

Comment

trust me I tried that epoxy but it falls off right away :rolleyes:

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TurboKillaZ:
                trust me I tried that epoxy but it falls off right away :rolleyes: <hr></blockquote>

Hmm well let's see....I've had my 5 piece WW gfx on my car now for 6 months and they havent budged/moved...and don't see anyway that they would with how they were installed so I dont know what you're talking about. This shop's been in the business for 11 years and has installed them this way for almost the same amount of time and installs gfx all the time.

So you use 3m tape all the time...do you install ground effects etc? And you've never had them fall off with the tape?

:eek: :rolleyes:

[ May 21, 2003: Message edited by: Pewter2k Formula ]</p>
                2000 Pewter Metallic Formula M6 <br /><br /><a href=\"http://flaminbird.smugmug.com\" target=\"_blank\">My 2000 Formula</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TurboKillaZ:
                  trust me I tried that epoxy but it falls off right away :rolleyes: <hr></blockquote>

I guess you know how to mix the exopy

Comment

first of all where does it say to use epoxy on gfx :rolleyes:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                      Good to see the site is back up
                      by 2.8 Bird
                      So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                      3 hours ago
                    • FirebirdGT
                      New Site Hosting Issues
                      by FirebirdGT
                      All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                      1 week ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      New Owner!
                      by LETZRIDE
                      I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                      4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X