Advice For You Guys :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice For You Guys :-)

I have had my car for over a year (Sep of 2k) and I have always been a perfectionist about keeping it clean. I started using Zaino a year after I bought it, and I wish I'd started sooner. The Zaino made the red brighter and the reflection shinier but I couldn't ever get rid of the swirls. They were just too much for Z5. So yesterday I went to a NAPA store and bought some 3M Swirl Remover (part number 39009) and today I used it. I notice a HUGE difference in the swirls and they have gotten much smaller; now hopefully an easy task for Z5. It is an abrasive so I can only put it on once if I would like to keep my clearcoat. But I recommend it for you guys with cars that have a couple years on them. Or for you guys who got the car used (like me) and the previous owner didn't take care of it. If you want more detailed 'instructions' I'd be glad to help. I just wanted to recommend it to all of you guys who are tired of working on your cars and getting that "almost perfect" look, but not quite that 100% perfection.

~ The Sandman

Edit - Happy thanksgiving as well [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: The Sandman ]</p>
    <b>« Red <i><a href=\"http://sandman.v8tec.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a></i> »</b>

hi there, i am a newbie so don't laugh, but what is Zaino? When I wash my car I simply put wax from wal-mart afterwards... I REALLY want to learn how to take care of the exterior so if you don't mind, give me some help! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

Comment

Zaino is a damn nice car waxing product. Check out www.zainobros.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by PiLOTLiTE:
        Zaino is a damn nice car waxing product. Check out www.zainobros.com<hr></blockquote>

Yeah what he said. It's not a problem that you don't know what Zaino is, nobody hardly does...I've asked, and the majority of detail shops have never heard of it. I wanna tell them that they're idiots but.....well, gotta be nice ya know? But the most simple explanation is that it is a polish (not a wax) that doesn't contain silicone or oils that will damage a cars finish over time. Not only is it number 1 in shine, but the durability far outlasts any wax you can buy and the protection it offers from UV is #1 by far. If you still have any questions you can email me, post a new thread (others will answer as well) or just post a reply in here and I'll get around it.
        Zaino doesn't only make things for your paint, but they make the best leather cleaner you can buy, period. They make a tire-dressing that isn't greasy and doesn't sling off. It doesn't shine as well but it is dry to the touch and also lasts for weeks. I've never tried their window cleaner but I'm sure it's great too ;)
        Good luck, I suggest you order some! [img]smile.gif[/img]
        <b>« Red <i><a href=\"http://sandman.v8tec.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a></i> »</b>

Comment

Lost
          If you are interested in Zaino here are the dealers in NC. It is not sold in stores and is considered to be somewhat of a speciality product. The users are extremely loyal and vocal about the products. There are many more posts on Zaino on http://www.ls1.com/ls1forum/ls1_forum_main.htm or the Corvette board, forums.corvetteforum.com/zeroforum?id=10 the corvette guys are the real zealots.

Steve Treece
          Charlotte, NC 28210
          (704)759-0142
          cashine@juno.com

Ken Stark
          Durham, NC 27705
          (919)680-2289
          starkken@mindspring.com

Jay Jacques
          Goldsboro, NC 27534
          (919)751-5142
          jayjacques@compuserve.com

[ November 29, 2001: Message edited by: edz ]</p>
          99 Black 3.8 Camaro (Daughters)<br />98 Lazer Cobravert (Mine)<br />South Florida Distributor for Zaino Show Car Products <a href=\"mailto:soflazaino@yahoo.com\">soflazaino@ya hoo.com</a>

Comment

Ed, thanks a lot for the post, you described me pretty well ;) [img]tongue.gif[/img] . I post a lot in the appearance forum on LS1, maybe you've seen my name..? I order my Zaino from the moderator of the board (KevinSS) and this guy is great. He is like my 'car cleaning idle'. He knows anything you could think of and can answer ANY question you ask him. He is super nice and is very quick to respond to emails, posts and such.
            Lost, where are you at? If you're local I could help you out with the Zaino process. It's not that hard if you know what you're doing. If you're not local drop me an email and I'll help you out then [img]smile.gif[/img]
            Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

ahh you guys are so nice and friendly! I love y'all [img]smile.gif[/img] This zaino stuff looks pretty good. I am definitely thinking about ordering some for my '96 dark green bird! but what do i order? I don't want to get too fancy at first, just the basic stuff. All this will have to wait a week or two, since I am in college and right now sweating over finals :(

by the way Sandman, I am over at Duke university in Durham.
              \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

Comment

oh Sandman I saw your firebird's painted interior, very nice indeed! I think it's classy hehe I'd like to do something similar with my firebird. Is this an easy and inexpensive DIY project? I have no experience in car modding in any way (I added a front license plate) hehe but I am learning.

Comment

Cool, there seem to be a lot of members here in the NC area. I am at UNCP during the week, and back 'home' in Fayetteville on the weekends, breaks, etc. Ok, Zaino....wow here we go :eek: .
                  Zaino is a complex polish system, it is not a wax by any means. It doesn't contain any damaging chemicals such as silicones and oils that waxes do. It is much more durable than waxes, and also offers the best UV protection you can get. It costs a bit more at first but saves you money in the long run because you don't have to apply it nearly as often or nearly as thick.

Ok, the products are explained below, click the links for more info...

Z1 Polish LOK - the product you put on before the polishes so that they stick to your paint and provide you deeper and better protection.
                  Z2 Show Car Polish - this is the polish that you put for the brightest shine and deepest color, normally used after 3-4 applications of Z5. It has the highest optics and reflects more light than the other polish.
                  Z5 Swirl Remover - this helps to remove small swirls and tiny scratches from your paint's finish. It doesn't actually "remove them" like an orbital buffer does, but it hides them to where they don't appear.
                  Z6 Gloss Enhancer Spray - a spray that you can use after a rainstorm or when the car is dusty, will bring out the 'dripping wet shine' so you don't have to wash it. This spray, however, is specifically for use in between coats of Z2/Z5 to enhance and deepen the shine and increase protection.
                  Z7 Show Car Wash - it is a car wash that is made to enhance the Zaino polishes. Yes it's just a wash, but it makes a difference! I washed my grandparents ('98) Le Sabre just to show them what Zaino products can do, and it looked better being only washed by Z7 than it does when "just waxed" by whatever wax.
                  Z16 Tire Gloss - this product is very nice! It doesn't shine as brightly as other wheel products, but it still shines well. This is not all gooey and greasy like other products and it also lasts much longer because it actually *doesn't* spin off, and is dry to the touch.
                  Z18 Claybar - a claybar is a complicated thing kind of to explain, but it's easy to use. It is, obviously, a piece...of clay..that you rub over the paint (with a mix of soap/water to lubricate it) to remove damaging contaminents - such as rail dust, brake dust, tree sap, these sorts of things. This step proves to be the most important step when Zaino'ing a car, because it gives the Zaino a better basis and better paint conditions to work for. Not to mention it makes the paint so smooooooooooth :cool:

Ok, these are the products that you'll need for your outside appearance.

Now, if you decide to order them, and I highly suggest you do, feel free to email me or make a post in this forum and I'll get you the answers shortly.

So, if you just want "the basics" and nothing "fancy"... then you should order Z1, Z5, Z6, Z7 and Z18. If you have any questions that I didn't answer (highly unlikely [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) then you can email me, post a reply in here, make a new topic, or go to the Zaino homepage.
                  The distributors for NC have already been listed, order them from the closest dealer as soon as possible! [img]smile.gif[/img]

EDIT - this is one long post :D

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: The Sandman ]</p>

Comment

Sand Lost

You guys bring back my past, Graduated from Fayetteville High School 1968 (then it became Terry Sanford) and Duke in 1972. Drove a 1971 SS396 Camaro, the Blue Devil girls did not care much for it, but the Carolina Girls used to love the "pinkfirdice".
                    99 Black 3.8 Camaro (Daughters)<br />98 Lazer Cobravert (Mine)<br />South Florida Distributor for Zaino Show Car Products <a href=\"mailto:soflazaino@yahoo.com\">soflazaino@ya hoo.com</a>

Comment

Sandman, thanks a lot for the detailed description of Zaino family of products hehe You and the guys here are awesome, i love this board!

so what's the cost? if you don't mind would you briefly outline your steps for washing and finishing off a car? I am a bit confused about the sequence that I need to go in using them.

also, I remember two weeks after I bought my firebird, I washed it by simply hosing it down... and then drove it into the garage and not drying it off.

Bad move, as I later discovered huge nasty water spots (look kinda like coffee spills) on my T-top glass panels! I drove around with them for probably a month or so (my dad's the practical type and everytime I bring up anything about taking care of apperance, etc, he always dismisses it like joke) before I brought it back to the dealership. The worker there pulled out some cleaner they called factory strength, and although they did bring out the spots, they used those hard sponges that left scratch marks all over the panel (u have to look at it from an angle to see the marks). At least it's clear but are these the "swirl marks" you talk about? Anyway to get rid of them? Also my car seems to get water spots after every raining session. I dry off the T-top panel as soon as I get home in fear of the previous episode, but the car body I just kinda stopped caring... cause it's not practical to dry off the entire body everytime it rains and also the dirt on the surface can scratch the clear coat when I dry (correct?). Will Zaino help me?

Comment

edz,

wow cool a duke alum [img]smile.gif[/img] ahh what, u mean our girls didn't go for your Camaro? what a shame... you know actually I don't have my firebird here on campus although I wanted to so bad, I thought parking was expensive ($185 for entire year). But now the school's building some kinda garage and closing down trent parking lot, and I've heard rumors of next year's parking permit @ over $400 :( that's outragious... and means I probably won't have my car here anytime soon.

Fayettville high? I have friend here from fayetville and I am pretty sure he went to your high school.

UNC 0-3 &lt;---- no legitimate rival for duke any more hehe

Comment

Edz - I just graduated this year (May 2001) from Fayetteville Christian School, this is my freshman year of college (at UNCP).

Lost - here is what you need to do.
                          • Take your car over to a nice shaded area, and park it. Doing it this at night will also work if your in an area with sufficient lighting. The point of this is to make sure that the surface is cool. Wash your car with dawn or whatever brand of dish detergent is available in your kitchen. Wash the car very good, make sure you use a sponge or one of those wash mittons, but make sure they are clean. Sometimes dirt will stick to them and scratch your finish. The reason why you wash with dish det. is so that all of the wax gets stripped off.
                          • Dry your car with 100% cotten towels, make sure they are white. If you buy them at a store like Sams or at an Advance Auto, these are not 100% cotten and contain polyester, another thing that scratches a finish. You can order them online, or go to a store like Bath and Body Works to get the real ones; the best brands are Cannon and Fieldcrest. Another thing you can use is an "Absorber", but make sure this is dirt free as well.
                          • (Optional Step, ignore it and move on to 'claybaring' if you're not gonna do it) If your paint contains swirl marks that are very visible even through the wax you use, you should probably try this step. Go to a NAPA, and buy 3M Swirl Remover (part #39009). You can get either one, they come in "for dark -" or "for light colored cars", it really doesn't matter. So once you have it, pour it on an applicator that will only be used once, for this. Since this product is so abrasive, it's not worth the risk to use the same applicator on your car when applying Zaino. So, pour it on the applicator, and rub it into the finish until it is dry, only do small areas at a time. After rubbing until dry, take a towel (again, only be used once) and wipe it until the residue and haze is gone. You should probably buy a cheap applicator for use, and throw it out when you're done. After finishing this, wash the car with dawn again, and then do the next step....
                          • Claybaring, easy to do. Take a new spray bottle, and pour a capful of Z7 into it. Fill the rest of it with water and shake well. Spray small areas of your car at a time, like one whole body panel, etc., and take the claybar and rub it over the surface. Apply pressure, but don't try to push the bar into the paint. The reason for the mix is so that the clay is lubricated, and doesn't stick to the paint...clay is extremely hard to get off a finish. Do this until your entire paint surface has been done. One tip that I learned about keeping the bar clean, is to only use one side of it. Once this side gets dirty, fold it in half and you have to clean sides. Once it gets dirty, fold it in half....and so on. It won't get smaller because of the pressure you apply when sliding it across your paint. You can also do your rims if they are very dirty [img]smile.gif[/img]
                          • After claying, wash your car with Z7. You can use the same sponge that you washed with earlier, that will be just fine. After washing, spray it off, dry it. Don't let it dry by itself, that leaves waterspots that are hard to get off. Waterspots leave mineral deposits and chemicals on the car because tap water is not 100% H20.
                          • After the car has been completely dried, take a new applicator out, and give it a couple shots of Z6 so it is damp. Pour your Z1 onto the pad (not thick) and squeeze the applicator around so it gets evenly distributed. Apply it to your paint not in circles, but in the motions that match the lines of the car. For the hood, go from the nose towards the windshield; for the doors, apply in an up and down motion....etc. You should apply it so thin that you can't even really see the haze unless you are like an inch away. Do NOT REMOVE the Z1.
                          • After Z1, take another applicator and apply the Z2 or Z5 and apply it right on top of Z1. (I suggest you do Z5 first, especially if you do the 3M step) Apply to the paint in the same way as Z1, very very thin and in the same directional strokes (up-down etc). After you apply it to the entire car, take a break and have a beer or a soda or whatever... [img]tongue.gif[/img] After letting it dry for about an hour, take one of the nice towels and dry it very softly, again, rubbing it off the same way you put it on. You don't have to press the towel hard at all, the Z2/Z5 comes right off with the slightest effort.
                          • After this, take your Z6 out. There are a couple ways you can apply it. Spray it directly on the paint and do small areas at a time. You can have a towel folded in half and then wipe on...or you can spray it on an applicator and wipe it on. You always take it off the same way though, immediately after applying rub it off with a towel. Rub until it is dry. Do this with the entire car.
                          • Congradulations, you have just Zaino'ed your car [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

A couple other suggestions - the Zaino applicators are very good but don't last as long as others because they are in a rectangle partern (the corners get worn). So I'd buy between 4-6 the first time you buy, and you won't have to worry about it for a year or so.
                          And don't get upset if you apply it too thick, I did too the first time. It's a common mistake. I got 3 applications out of my first bottle of Z2 and you're supposed to get 12-15.
                          You should use Z6 between each coat of Z2 and Z5, this provides a very nice look ;)
                          The prices are on their site, www.zainobros.com

Edit - Wow, this is an even BIGGER post :D

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: The Sandman ]</p>

Comment

Sand
                            Is David Shirley still the pastor At FC????

Comment

No just a couple years ago he retired, Van Duesan (sp?) is now the pastor. He's very nice and an all around great guy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                                Good to see the site is back up
                                by 2.8 Bird
                                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                                1 day ago
                              • FirebirdGT
                                New Site Hosting Issues
                                by FirebirdGT
                                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                                2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X