Removing window tint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing window tint

Alright, I got some time on my hands... I'm probably going to remove my window tint.

How do i go about doing this? Also, how can I find out how dark it is?
    Here's a link to some pictures of it:

1994camaro.topcities.com

i just pulled mine off. the imprint of the defroster stayed onthe tint but didn't damage anything. THen I used goo gone for any residue. good luck

Comment

so, just pull it off like taking a sticker off a desk and use some oops/gue-gone like stuff?

What about a sticker? (Georgia Tech)

Comment

yeah. I simply pulled it off (my previous firebird) because it was starting to lift at the seam. I had the tint for 10 years. The tricky thing is to get a good rip going. What happened to me when I pulled it off was that it still left a layer of the adhesive on as though the tint split apart. But once I got the hang of how to pull it wasn't that hard. I just went slowly and ACROSS not down the window and kept pulling close to where it was seperating from the window. Then with whatever was left behind I used goo gone on it and it took some time. It was kinda messy because the adhesive kinda turns into a dried rubber cement kind of consistency and makes a mess. For your sticker I would use maybe WD-40 not goo gone only because I don't have any experience with the goo gone on paint.

Comment

If you can get access to one, rent a steam machine. Some grocery/Wally World/Meijer stores rent them cheap, or call some tint/detail shops and see if they have one. Steaming the old tint will make it actually fall off of the glass leaving ZERO residue. It is the easiest way there is. A hair dryer set on high is the secont easiest way. GOOD LUCK!
          <br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/nitroxxx28\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/nitroxxx28</a>

Comment

I don't know how true this is but a friend of mine said ammonia will take it off. He said his neighbor said he was cleaning his windows on his car, and he was using a glass cleaner which used ammonia and he said that it ate the tint off. but I don't know.
            1999 Silverado- Bagged, colormatched and rollin on stock chrome 16\'s<br />Make love not war, hell do both, get married

Comment

rubbing alcahol will take it off pretty well also..

jet a razor... peal it all off..

then use the alcahol to get the residue off..

it works pretty well.. its cheep ($1).. nad it dosent stink as bad as anomia

~Billy

Comment

Some glass cleaners will eat away at the glue on the tint, or atleast that's what the guy that did my windows told me. Except I don't think it'd be nearly strong enough to make it come off easily. When I removed the tint on my truck, it pulled right off, but left glue all over. Autozone had this tint remover kit, that was like $2, and consisted of a flat razor blade, and a spray bottle of what I'm guessing was alcohol. Worked really well. Except if you went that route, you'd just have to be really careful around the defroster.
                2000 Red Firebird W68

Comment

The film itself should peel right off. The glue residue will remain. Goo-gone or that above-mentioned tint-off stuff will ease the removal of the residue with a razor blade. Then make sure to do a really good once-over with a strong amonia-based glass cleaner.

Some tints are more stubborn than others, though. Be patient and it should come off fine.

Good luck.

-Mike
                  <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

I've heard 2 ways... Steam/Heat and peeling with gu-gone

Which works best?

Comment

Wal-Mart sells some stuff called Tint-Off, its hanging by the tint in the auto section, cheaper than goo-gone and works good. As far as how dark it is, cops here have a tint meter to see if its to dark so they can give ya a ticket.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BadLiLBowtie:
                        I've heard 2 ways... Steam/Heat and peeling with gu-gone

Which works best?
                        <hr></blockquote>

I've never tried the steam/heat method before. Cant help you there.

-Mike
                        <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

I jsut found out... rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and a razor disolves the glue on contact!

I'll post pics of what I'm doing tomorrow :D

Comment

yeah.. just like i said.. before..

"rubbing alcahol will take it off pretty well also..
                            get a razor... peal it all off..

then use the alcahol to get the residue off..

it works pretty well.. its cheep ($1).. and it dosent stink as bad as anomia"

~billy

Comment

We use alcohol to remove glue off everything at work, works great.
                              1999 Silverado- Bagged, colormatched and rollin on stock chrome 16\'s<br />Make love not war, hell do both, get married

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                                Good to see the site is back up
                                by 2.8 Bird
                                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                                2 hours ago
                              • FirebirdGT
                                New Site Hosting Issues
                                by FirebirdGT
                                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                                1 week ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X