painting t-bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting t-bar

i have a pewter camaro, and want to paint the t-bar roof part black. what all does this involve if i wanted to do it myself vs. a pricy body paint shop? thanks.
    Dave:
    00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
    97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

I wouldn't use spray paint to paint it, it won't look right. Do you have a paint gun? You could probably save yourself some money by getting it ready to paint and just have someone shoot it for you.
    2006 Tiburon

Comment

my best friend (shockcore) has a paint gun.. so yes, i have access to one.
      Dave:
      97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

What do you mean the T-bar section? YOu mean the part at the rear of the window or the part under the t-tops?

I painted mine under the t-tops flat black, took a can of duplicolor flat black(decent paint with a good nozzle)

Just take the 8 screws out pull the t-bar, tap off everything, scuff up the metal a little with a scotchbrite pad, clean it up nicely and spray even wide coats, and make sure to go past the area you want spraying so not to get one area with too much paint.

[ February 01, 2005, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: shenanigans ]
        -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

nah, hes talking about on top of the B-Pillar, he wants that part black like the z28/SS
          99 WS6
          13.25@104.97 - Lid + soon to be more other stock items ;D

Originally posted by camaroextra
          tears are great lube, but its hard to get a girl to cry onto her own ***.

Comment

like these:

http://www.prototypestudios.com/DMW/misc/cam.bmp
            http://www.prototypestudios.com/DMW/misc/cam2.jpg

mmmm haha
            Dave:
            97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Definately use a paintgun, and DO NOT spraypaint it!
              If possible, send it to someone who knows what they are doing. It'll end up looking like crap if it's done wrong.

If it was the small piece that fits between the t-tops, then spraypainting them wouldn't be so bad.
              sigpic

Comment

You are doing the exact same thing I'm doing...except I have a bit more planned. HEHEHE. ;)

I will be reveiling my plan soon. It's gonna be awesome. I think yours will look really nice man. Good luck.

Travis.
                1995 Firebird 3.4 V6 M5<br />-Firehawk 17x9 w/275/40/ZR17, flowmaster 80s, high-flow cat<br />*new* BMR lowering springs, Bilstein shocks, WS.6 sway bars, polyurethane bushings.

Comment

what? are you going to put a secret super turbo on your roof?
                  2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Yeah I woudl look into someone with a little experience... Or if you want look into getting that panel off another car. I don't know for sure but I think I have heard you can get that panel off and put it on a another car. Like I said I don't know for sure but I would look into it.
                    -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

isnt it part of the main frame of the car?

anyways, ill stick to painting it. has anyone done this? what are the secrets/tricks/how to's.. i dont know the kind of paint or anything.. helpppp haha
                      Dave:
                      97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by dmw319:
                        isnt it part of the main frame of the car?

anyways, ill stick to painting it. has anyone done this? what are the secrets/tricks/how to's.. i dont know the kind of paint or anything.. helpppp haha
                        Well it is plastic so it is removeable in one way or another. I just never looked into it much, but I have heard there is a way to take it off...

Comment

are we talking about the same part of the car?
                          Dave:
                          97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Not sure where removing that portion of the top is coming from but anyway, it stays on the car and gets painted on the car.

I'm not a paint expert by anymeans but I can tell you a few things you'll need to buy. Since your car is painted with a Base and Clear coat type paint, I would use the same for your roof. Go to a automotive paint supply store and tell them what you want to do. This way they will be able to recommend how much Base and Clear you'll need to buy. If you can, try to get a "color code" for GM black paint. If you cant find a color code, the paint place should have color code books/charts for all of GM and other makes of cars. Another thing you will need is something you have to mix in with the Base and Clear, I think its called Hardner. Again, tell the paint place this is your first time doing this and they will pretty much gather up everything you need and tell you what mixing ratio's to use.

As far as prepping the roof to paint, what condition is the factory paint up there in now? Any chips or anything?
                            2006 Tiburon

Comment

I assume we are talking about the part between the back of the side windows and the hatch, and the t-tops and the hatch. Normally black on t-top cars, but not all...

Noy saying ti comes off easy but its made of fiberglass, and does not apart of the fram of the car it attaches.

Talking to other t-top conversions people out there were peopel that swapped that entire piece off of one from a t-top car instead of just cutting it off.

Not saying I know how its done, that I have done it, just saying I know it has been done, not sure how hard it was, just suggesting it might be worth looking into before you try out your spray painting skills for the first time on a decently sized part of your car.

Go knock on the part... or put something magnetic on it. Its a fiberglass type stuff not part of the frame.

Its a covering for the frame.

on hardtop cars its conncected to the roof...
                              http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...5_160_full.jpg

Cut it away, then take the roof section you cut off, and this is what is underneath.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...5_161_full.jpg

there is a space underneath it.

Just saying in the past peopel have removed the roof and the part you want to paint. Then taken that part off another car and installed it in its place.

Don't know what it takes or if its hard... Just giving a suggestion. What if all it takes is removing the interior sale panels around the speakers, and remove 2 bolts and its off, and you get a used one for $20, form a guy parting a car out. As opposed to buying GOOD paint, clearcoat, and take your first whack at painting.

Just suggesting its been removed and replaced, and I would research it out. At least I woudl before I started scuffing up my paint, and painting over my car.

Jsut a suggestion if you want to paint it, go for it.

May want to do it with hatch, t-tops off and and t-top weathersripping off so you don't "miss" any spots. Just remember to cover the car up to not get any overspray.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                                Good to see the site is back up
                                by 2.8 Bird
                                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                                2 days ago
                              • FirebirdGT
                                New Site Hosting Issues
                                by FirebirdGT
                                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                                2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X