Paint on hood peeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint on hood peeling

The paint on my hood started bubbling in 2 spots, and when I went to loosen the paint to repaint the area, the paint just kept trying to peel free from the surrounding areas. It is bad enough that I bet I could peel off the entire paint job in strips with no tools at all, and be left with a primered hood that looks like it's never been painted.

Does anyone know if this is a flaw in the paint/primer, and has anyone else had problems with this?
    2000 Mystic Teal Firebird<br />Full 3\" exhaust, FRA, Aluminum Driveshaft

Do you still have the underhood mat (the black mat on the underside of the hood)? That usually keeps excessive engine heat from bubbling the paint.
    If so, it's probably a defect in the paintjob, or it wasn't taken care of properly with waxing. Just throwing idea's in the air...
    sigpic

Comment

sounds like either you or the previous owner hasnt taken too great of care of the paint. i cant imagine any other reason the paint would act that way

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
      Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Originally posted by Loochy88:
        sounds like either you or the previous owner hasnt taken too great of care of the paint. i cant imagine any other reason the paint would act that way
        The strange thing is is that the paint looks flawless, except that it's simply loose. I don't know what kind of negligence can cause paint to come off that easily, they don't even have chemicals that will do that ;)

When I sprayed the new paint on it, the ridges around where the old paint were actually raised up and formed a very visible edge, as if they were trying to peel away just from paint being applied.

It does sound like a flaw in the primer/paint though. I wonder if I have any recourse other than having the hood repainted at my own expense? I checked with a dealer and there's no recall on the issue. What's a good price to have the hood repainted, anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by Muttled:
          When I sprayed the new paint on it
          Uhh, what??
          sigpic

Comment

I ordered some of the paint from the dealer (it comes in a spray can, kind of like the wal-mart rattle cans, but an exact match for your color).

Yeah I know I shouldn't order from the dealer, but it was cheaper than paintscratch.com [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Ummm, you can't just spray the new paint on top of the old.....when I had my hood repainted a couple years ago (got hit in a parking lot) they had to repaint the ENTIRE hood, not just a spot. If you're brave enough to TRY to repaint the hood I would sand it down, apply 3 or so layers of color coat then several layers of clear. That's hard if you have only spray cans though.

The only reason it would peel like that is because it hasn't been properly taken care of (I.E. consistently waxed)

If you're going to have someone else repaint it, DO NOT go to the dealer. They will rip you a new a$$hole and then go to work on it some more. Find a reputable paint shop. The dealer did my hood for like $900, you should be able to get it done a LOT cheaper than that.
              -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

Well, I talked to a guy I know that works at a Pontiac dealership, and he confirmed that it was a fault in the primer they used, and that that kind of stripping has been seen on some of the 2000's that he has seen. Not that that means the hood wasn't taken care of (but it looked perfect when I bought it), but it does make some more sense then the paint just coming off after no apparent abuse.

Yeah, I figured out I couldn't do a very good spot job on a spot that large (about 4 inches across). Since I know a person that works at every dealership around here as well as the owners of a few shops, I'll probably just get a quote for the whole thing.

Comment

There was a GM service bulletin about this a long while back....consider me another victim.

Comment

You lost me at "fault in the primer"

Comment

Originally posted by Crashtest:
                      You lost me at "fault in the primer"
                      The primer (which is the layer applied on top of the metal under the paint) had some sort of fault, whether it was mixed wrong or at the wrong temperature or something, and caused the paint to not adhere correctly, thus the paint peeling and not chipping like most paint does.

I got a quote from one dealer to paint it for $350, I'm going to check out some private shops but that actually does not sound all that bad compared to what I have heard on here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X