Ram Air hood from a junkyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram Air hood from a junkyard

After work I plan on hitting up a few junk yards for a hood and maybe check out more.

My question is how much should I expect to pay there for a good condition Ram Air hood that will fit my 2000 Birdy?
    2000 3800 II V6 Firebird<br />various small mods, bigger stuff later.

if you can find one intact.. expect close to $1000... I know junkyards around here are like "dealership price Minus 10%" if its perfect condition. I found an SS.. My color, asked about the spoiler.. he was like... not sure, but i know at least $400... i laughed and walked away. Best bet would be to get one from SLP, if you want to spend alot and get a good product, or somthin aftermarket, and spend the time to make it fit perfect.. it can be done, depends on whos doing the work, and your budget..

I am not saying that is what your local yard will sell for, but my experience is that the big parts that are in good condition usually go close to retail.

Comment

I have heard junkyards sell t-tops for $350... Yeah I'll take my $60 ebay one [img]smile.gif[/img]

Best bet in my opinon surf all the f-body boards, adn look for deals, they come up better then ebay.
      -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Id love to get the SLP Ram Air hood for my 6, but problems are this:

1. I want it shipped to ME, they wont do it, only a business.
        2. I dont have a ram air box, I have a whisper lid.

I just want a functional Ram Air hood, painted or not, dont care, I need some sites if anyone could help. I changed my mind on getting it used, Ill get new, just need the sites.

I have alot planned for this car, just dont know where to go after I get my SLP LM system in next week. I want a RA Hood and sometime in the future a T/A Wing.

I want to get a LSD as well but cant find the sites that have them for $350 or so like people are posting.

[ February 18, 2005, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: phoenix6 ]

Comment

I have the SLP hood and a whisper lid and it fits perfectly. No problems at all.
          Have the hood shipped to a paint shop then pick up the hood there or have them paint it and put it on the car.
          New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
          RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
          crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
          The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

But how is it functional with a whisper lid?? from my understanding the air box has to be changed so the air can come from the top, thru the filter into the intake, with my set up the air is sucked in from the bottom.... little confused.

Just checked out ur site blackbird, nice car [img]smile.gif[/img]

Real quick tho, does the SLP hood offer less HP gain than lets say the raptor or a WS6 hood? ive read differnt increases from different places.

Comment

There is an opening in the bottom of the whipser lid where the air comes in from the nostrils and is directed into the bottom of the whipsper lid from the front. If your car does not have a functional hood, then there should be a foam piece in that opening blocking it. If you are getting an functional hood, you should remove that foam piece so that the air can get in.

I have not heard about different HP gains from different hoods. They are all functional and serve the same purpose.

Thanks for the complement Phoenix.

Comment

well, maybe I should resay this, I have a stock lid with the custom whisper mod....cutting out the bottom so more air can come in. I just always see the RA Hoods come with new air boxes with the filter on top. As far as my car having a functional hood, its a stock firebird hood, not ram air, its not the muscled out hood. No foam inserts anywhere. I should go out and take pics really quick and upload them, but if this helps, everything is stock except I cut out the bottom of the lid where the radiator is located so more air can come up from the bottom.

Comment

see at the bottom of the air lid, there is an opening so the air can go into.

[ February 18, 2005, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: '98 BlackBird ]

Comment

If your car doesn't have an airbox like that, you can probably mod yours in a similar fashion. Take out the bolts holding yours down, and add a few washers underneath and put the bolts back through that; It will lift the airbox up some and allow a little more air to get under there.
                    AIM: Alientr8tr<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/583450\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Camaro 3.8L</a><br />Flowmaster 80-series, !FRA, Eibach Springs, KYB AGX, SLP sway bars, 3.42/LSD, Wings West kit, Z06 Motorsports, Silverstone Metallic paint<br /><a href=\"http://www.shift5.com/\" target=\"_blank\">Shift 5</a> - My Band

Comment

Are the air boxes different in a 98 than a 2000?
                      If so, I did not realize that.

Comment

Good ideas. But on other ram air hoods its differnt, they change the airbox to air gets in thru the top.

Ill go lift my airbox up later after I clean my K&N, suckers dirty.

Comment

Update, yeah I have that slot there in the bottom, but the stock hood blocks it when its down, grrrr.

Comment

With the SLP hood there are openings to direct the air into the slots.

Comment

I got mine from a yard too. I went and called around and finally got one. Its kinda hard to come by and they had it the same color as my car. So the shop only had to paint the topside. I was thinking of going aftermarket but heard of so many people whose hood didn't quite fit. I've seen this fitment issue on Fbodys on the streets too. I said screw it, might as well do it right the first time instead of always staring at those misaligned gaps and got a $1200 hood. But I only had to pay $600 since I had a little accident. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                              1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X