Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Removal

Hello,
    I have reciently been trying to take off my headlight cover to clean it. I took off the metal tabs at the top of the plastic, what else is needed to remove them?

Thanks
    Red 1998 Camaro<br />Mods so far=<br />K&N

To get the head light apart? I know to do the whistler mod you have to bake the headlight in the oven, and then pry it off with a butter knife. I don't think this is what you are talking about though.

2000 Pewter Pontiac Transam 360rwhp, 370ftlbs
    1998 Sport Gold Metallic Chevrolet Camaro *SOLD*
    1974 Silver Chevrolet BIG BLOCK Corvette

Comment

No senor, I am talking about just getting the plastic cover (the front of the light) off so I can clean it. Is there anything more than the top clips?

Comment

yea thats still what you need to do though. put that sucker in the oven and pry it off!
        Dave:
        00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
        97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

*eyes get huge real quick* I need to take the WHOLE headlight assembly off and put it in the OVEN, then pry the ***** off? HOLY CRAP! That sounds like a lot of work for cleaning a headlight! And I reading this right?

How hot does the oven need to be? How long? Is there a tutorial on this or write-up?

Comment

ummm why would he need to take the plastic lense off the housing to clean it? Maybe I'm missing something here, but I think he just wants to polish the lense because its foggy.

Comment

Yeah you dont need to take it off to clean it. Get some good compound/polish and use a lot of elbow grease.
              1998 Camaro V6 \"Black Mamba\"<br />Y87<br />Whisper Lid w/ K&N filter<br />Flowmaster American Thunder<br />Numerous appearance mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154172\" target=\"_blank\">Car Domain</a>

Comment

Managed to get the lid off without the whole oven thing... Now I need to find a way to clean this sucker... O'Rilies has something but not the buffer it needs to work (we dont have the buffer either) and napa said to use tooth paste and nothing else would work. Tooth paste did a little... Ill look for more options.

Comment

Everyone who asked why I needed to take it off: I figured I needed to clean the inside too. It was kinda dirty.

Comment

Toothpaste? Havent heard that. My lights were bad when I first got my car and the dealer who sold me the car said there was some kind of Mother's polish that will bring it off. He wasnt really sure which polish...I got the back to black stuff for plastics and it helped a little, but I dont think thats what he was talking about. I've gotten Halos since then so I dont have to worry about lol.
                    1998 Camaro V6 \"Black Mamba\"<br />Y87<br />Whisper Lid w/ K&N filter<br />Flowmaster American Thunder<br />Numerous appearance mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154172\" target=\"_blank\">Car Domain</a>

Comment

if you wana clean the inside you've gotta take the lights out and put them in a 250* over for 10 minutes. if it doesnt pry apart easily after that stick it in for five more. this melts the glue. then you need to get RTV sealant and seal it back together so no moisture gets in.
                      Mystic Teal Metallic
                      ET:15.1 NA 14.3@96 MPH 75 Dry Shot

Comment

So you guys can have a better idea what I am dealing with, heres a picture.

What would you suggest to remove the nasty crap?

I already tried tooth paste and a lot of soap, water, and scrubbing.

Is there anythign I can do or should I get another one?

Comment

go to those links on ebay i sent you.
                          Dave:
                          00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                          97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Tooth paste isn't abbrasive enough to get that off. You need to get a good polish and buff them till they clear up. I have used a 1500 grit polish on a pad connected to a drill on other cars and it worked well.

Comment

If you planned on getting halos, now is the time.
                              <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                                New Site Hosting Issues
                                by FirebirdGT
                                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                                1 week ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X