Painted my calipers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted my calipers!

This was a simple job really. For the caliper in the pictures (passenger side) I unbolted the cliper, rotated it out from the rotor, and held it in place with a pipe cleaner attached to the spring (so as not to put too much pressure on the brake line.) I taped off all bolt holes, the brake line (solvent from the paint can damage rubber) and of course the rotor. I got a little overspray on the rotor but the paint was still fairly fresh and cleaned off easily.

I applied about four coats of color (probably one too many) and three coats of clear. It only took about half an hour for each coat to dry (has anyone been checking out the grass fires in OK on CNN?? That dryness helped me out!!!) I painted both brackets while they were still attached to the rotor. Honestly I would rather mask til I drop than bust my balls trying to take everything apart.

It took two days to do the front two calipers just because I only have the stock jack, so I could only do one side at a time. I need to get some jacks.

Tell me what you think!!

http://www.badongo.com/pic.php?file=...6_IMG_1383.jpg

http://www.badongo.com/pic.php?file=...6_IMG_1384.jpg

http://www.badongo.com/pic.php?file=...6_IMG_1381.jpg
    -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

nice!!! i plan to do mine real soon, should i juts tape everything off(original plans)? thats what i would like to do!! thanks chet!!

Comment

I forgot, I also taped off the caliper pistons. Very important!!! I didn't want to take my brackets off, that's why I taped everything.

I tried painting the caliper both ways too: one way I did it as I described in my first post. The second time I took it completely off and hung it from the spring. It was harder to paint the second way. Just mask til you drop!! Cover those caliper pistons!

[ January 06, 2006, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Camarorulz ]
      -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

looks awsome...i love the wheels too

87 Firebird RIP
        96 Camaro RS RIP
        94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
        02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Re: Painted my calipers!

Your car is NBM right? What color hight temp paint did you paint them. I found a color called dark ford blue by Duplicolor that almost matches my paint but not exactly. I was wondering if you found a better color and what the name and maker of it is. I am painting mine tonight.

Comment

the dark blue is going to get dirty and of limited value.
            I would have done it in red or yellow.
            Phil

Comment

looks great, probably one of the best mods i have done up to this point, and its really simple to do

Comment

looks sweet
                1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                1994 Camaro - Sold
                1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

good job, looks nice...

Comment

Nice color choice.
                    Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X