break dust removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• break dust removal

is there anything that works particularly well against break dust? i tried to use regular carwash soap and lots of elbow grease and nothing. its really stubborn gettin off the wheels.
    Silver \'98 Camaro M5<br />Current MODs:<br />SLP strut tower brace; SLP 1LE swaybars front/back; Powerslot rotors; Hawk pads; Eibach springs; Bilstein SLP shock kit; SLP trans mount; Zexel limited-slip differential; LS1 drive shaft.<br />Possible future MODs:<br />BMR Lower Control Arms; BMR Pandhard Rod.

Greased Lightning wheel cleaner, Castrol wheel cleaner (NOT DEGREASER!!), Quicksilver, etc.

*I once used degreaser on my rims, and it stripped all of the clearcoat right off! When the wheels dried, they had a nasty white haze to them. Even if you don't have clearcoat on your rims, stay away from spraying degreaser on them. Big mistake on my part.

-Marc
    sigpic

Comment

thanks for the heads up. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
      Silver \'98 Camaro M5<br />Current MODs:<br />SLP strut tower brace; SLP 1LE swaybars front/back; Powerslot rotors; Hawk pads; Eibach springs; Bilstein SLP shock kit; SLP trans mount; Zexel limited-slip differential; LS1 drive shaft.<br />Possible future MODs:<br />BMR Lower Control Arms; BMR Pandhard Rod.

Comment

sounds like your hard on your brakes lol iam too but any tire cleaners will work!
        $Ryan$<br />95 3400 Teal Green FireBird M5<br />Mods: see link <a href=\"http://lowrider.cardomain.com/id/mystical420\" target=\"_blank\">http://lowrider.cardomain.com/id/mystical420</a> <br />1986 Gold Mazda B2000 ROTIP :)<br />*New*74 Moded 350 Chevy Pickup

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GreenDragon:
          sounds like your hard on your brakes lol iam too but any tire cleaners will work!<hr></blockquote>

well, i swapped out the stock rotors/pads because of.... wait for it.... WARPING! big surprise huh? i put in Powerslots and Hawk pads. the difference is night and day. it was possibly the most effective mod for the money so far. except for all the orange break dust from the pads. but yeah, i like to stand on the breaks sometimes. :D

Comment

Power Washer, 1300 psi works wonders. ;)
            Cardomain

Comment

I'm in the same situation- my wheels wont come clean of the stuff. My powerwasher with 2100 psi doesn't even make a mark into the brake dust. Is it ok to use brillo pads on it?

Ordinary wheel cleaners just won't cut it any longer.
              All gone :(<br />Best ET ever: 14.3 (I think)<br />----------------------------<br />Check out my site for exhaust clips, burnouts, and pictures, and the supercharger throttle body mod.<br /><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/net_addict/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">Click on the Firebird</a>

Comment

What about on chrome rims? Are those wheel cleaners safe to use on Chrome?
                1997 Camaro Y87. Turbo.<br /><a href=\"http://pureoctaneracing.net/\" target=\"_blank\">Pure Octane Racing</a>

Comment

i use this stuff called Hot Rims by Meguiars.

**** works wonders.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by hockeyman:
                    Greased Lightning wheel cleaner, Castrol wheel cleaner (NOT DEGREASER!!), Quicksilver, etc.

*I once used degreaser on my rims, and it stripped all of the clearcoat right off! When the wheels dried, they had a nasty white haze to them. Even if you don't have clearcoat on your rims, stay away from spraying degreaser on them. Big mistake on my part.

-Marc
                    <hr></blockquote>

ditto

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Riles:
                      I'm in the same situation- my wheels wont come clean of the stuff. My powerwasher with 2100 psi doesn't even make a mark into the brake dust. Is it ok to use brillo pads on it?

Ordinary wheel cleaners just won't cut it any longer.
                      <hr></blockquote>

It sounds like you have more than just brake dust, more like brake cement.

I clean mine once a week with the power washer, and I have no problems.
                      Cardomain

Comment

alright, so i got a bottle of Eagle 1 wheel cleaner. in retrospect i should have probably gone for the Castrol just because there's more of it for the same price.

i sprayed the cleaner on like it said in the directions, let it sit for a minute and sprayed off the wheel. and nothing... its like i didn't do anything. kinda what i expected actually. so i dug around in the garage and found this nylon bristle brush and went off on the motha. ok, so my wheels are literally all blazing now. look really clean. cleaner than i remember them when i first got the car. the wheel cleaner definitely helps dissolve the dust/grime, but to really get it off the wheels its all brush.

final score:

dust/grime: 0wn3d | wheel cleaner/brush: 0wn3z

:D

Comment

now keep 'em clean...maintain them so you don't have to go to all that trouble again [img]smile.gif[/img]

--matt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X