replace racing strpes $$?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replace racing strpes $$?

I have a 99 y87 with racing stripes. I just bought it about 2 months ago, and the stripes being 6 years old, are cracking horribly. At some spots you can completely see through it. I wanted an estimate on how much it would be to replace them. Would I need a new clear coat also?
    1999 y87 a4, american thunder cat-back, 3.42 gears, headers, grey racing stripes, billet grill, 17inch c5 rims

Dad is an automotive painter...its gonna be around the $1000 mark if its done really good by a reputable shop. My dad is a PPG master-certified automotive painter...one of very few in the country....and i got mine for...the cost of materials; $50. Woot. But if ur gonna get them done, get it done the right way by someone good.

Comment

thanks, too bad for me though I don't want to spend that much
      1999 y87 a4, american thunder cat-back, 3.42 gears, headers, grey racing stripes, billet grill, 17inch c5 rims

Comment

You can get vinyl ones for...cheap.

Comment

for real, what are some good places to buy from

Comment

3rdgendecals.com - 150 bucks
            Dave:
            00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
            97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenPunisher:
              Dad is an automotive painter...its gonna be around the $1000 mark if its done really good by a reputable shop. My dad is a PPG master-certified automotive painter...one of very few in the country....and i got mine for...the cost of materials; $50. Woot. But if ur gonna get them done, get it done the right way by someone good.
              gee someone is talking alot about his daddy :rolleyes:

Comment

I would be too if my dad had that job

Comment

is it possible to take off previous vinal and add new ones, or maybe even just place new ones over the previous.

Comment

they are pain in the *** to remove,they will probably remove alot of clear coat too with them,but if your planning putting a new one,then remove the old ones first

Comment

Originally posted by skatr:
                      I would be too if my dad had that job
                      x2

Comment

do you think it would be alright if I just placed the new ones in the spot of the old ones, without getting a new clear coat, knowing the old ones ae going to take off a lot of the paint

Comment

you could but they cracks from the old stripes might show trough

Comment

The August 2005 issue of "Super Chevy"(pg. 161) has a good article about putting racing strips on but not about taking them off. There are vinyl removing sprays. I have some real nasty vinyls I am taking off an ex cop car. I found a plastic straight edge (I think its a paint tool), cooking oil (to keep it from sticking to the rest of the vinyl messy), and a hair dryer (some heat makes it easier) along with the spray work but takes time.

Comment

Originally posted by BiH:
                              </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TheGreenPunisher:
                              gee someone is talking alot about his daddy :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]PPG is a very well known name in the automotive paint industry. If his dad is indeed certified by PPG he must do quality work worthy of a long time warranty. That is something I would be proud of too especially if one of my relatives not only did the work for me but cut me a break like that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Kubes
                                Exploding starters
                                by Kubes
                                Before I replaced the Lower and upper intake gaskets, plugs and wire etc etc I had no starting issues, car even ran okay
                                i bought this car a couple...
                                1 week ago
                              • 2.8 Bird
                                Thinking about going back to 180 stat
                                by 2.8 Bird
                                It's been very hot in my place and the 160 is not working too well now. Perhaps 160 is just opening up to soon that it not giving the radiator time to...
                                1 week ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Found some led reverse bulbs
                                by ssms5411
                                My regular bulbs at night doesn’t light up to well, hopefully they are brighter. Got them from Screaming Chicken. Anyone else have any luck with led...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • Fruitgrower231
                                Having some electrical issues
                                by Fruitgrower231
                                95 Camaro 3400 V6, power windows, radio and power top have stopped working. Fuse and circuit breakers appear to be good. I have accessed the inside...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X